Oh my god, that was awful! (low-cal products you tried and hated)

Replies

• Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Miracle Noodles are terrible! I freaking hate those things. They're slimy, but crunchy, but not quite crunchy enough to actually CHEW...just a freaking disaster.

I love those bean noodles, though. The black bean spaghetti is my favorite!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Arctic zero - maple vanilla. Had the consistency of saliva. 135 cals per pint? I'd rather have a snickers and run for an hour.

Amy's frozen ravioli - the filling was extremely gritty.

Fat free sour cream - never again.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    alyssagb1 wrote: »
    Arctic zero - maple vanilla. Had the consistency of saliva. 135 cals per pint? I'd rather have a snickers and run for an hour.

Amy's frozen ravioli - the filling was extremely gritty.

Fat free sour cream - never again.

Agreed, fat free sour cream is sadness. Now I just use a little of the real deal or a dollop of yogurt (these days soya)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Fat-free hard cheese. I'd rather chew on old tires.

Almond milk, or any nut/seed milk for that matter. Stop calling it milk, it's not. It tastes like chalk water. The only way I can enjoy it is if I make it myself, heat half of it to increase the viscosity, then blend it with the other half and a bit of butter, at which point it stops being low cal.

Cellucor cookies and cream protein powder. I need to double the liquid, add xanthan, pb2 and vanilla to make it remotely palatable, bringing the calories up to more than my regular favorite brand which is considered higher calorie than average.

Low fat, sweetened or flavored greek yogurt. It's hard to re-train your palate when you grew up on full fat plain greek yogurt as a savory slightly salty slightly tart snack.

Low fat chips or pop chips. They taste like flavored cardboard. Chips aren't chips unless they're fried or baked with generous amounts of oil.

Air-popped popcorn. Not even salt sticks to them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    bbinoa wrote: »
    Fiber One cheesecake bars. Neither cheese nor cake. Ewwwwww!

I like them. Doesn't taste like cheesecake but still pretty good IMO!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    neldabg wrote: »
    Trader Joe's Vanilla Flavored Soy Protein Powder. It's DISGUSTING! The taste is nothing like vanilla at all, and it has the strangest texture. I'm determined to finish it just because I payed almost $20 for the whole tub, but I take it just 16g at a time. My experience with this supplement taught me to read reviews before buying anything new.

TJs return policy is very liberal - I would try bringing it back for a refund.

Darn it. I wish I knew this before. I bought it back in September, so I don't even have the receipt anymore.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2015
    I love the edamame and mung bean pasta. I have found that it needs a bit longer cooking time than it states on the label. I eat it all the time.

Walden Farms jars up Elmer's Glue as far as I'm concerned.

The old Quest Lemon Pie bar. I took one bite and threw it away. It tasted like Pledge.

Miracle Noodles. The smell. I could not get past the smell.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Sea-kelp noodles. DON'T DO IT!!!

I completely agree with this!
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    OH I bought turkey hot dogs once. I don't know if they were only 50 calories each but nope, never again. They didn't hit the 'spot'. Which lets be honest, is the only reason you eat a hot dog.

Hebrew National 97% fat free hot dogs are the BOMB!!!!!!! Only 45 call each

Yes! Love these, wish they were cheaper though lol
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Any fat free dairy product. They always feel weird in my mouth. I also tried Kashi cookies once. They tasted like responsible, which is not what I want in a cookie.
  • louislove17
    louislove17 Posts: 18 Member
    THAT ARCTIC ZERO ICECREAM!!!!! SO BAD!!!! Wasted $5
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    alyssagb1 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    OH I bought turkey hot dogs once. I don't know if they were only 50 calories each but nope, never again. They didn't hit the 'spot'. Which lets be honest, is the only reason you eat a hot dog.

Hebrew National 97% fat free hot dogs are the BOMB!!!!!!! Only 45 call each

Yes! Love these, wish they were cheaper though lol

They go on sale every so often and are a good price, but not every store has them!!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    For me it is more of the "health food store" alternatives to things that are gross, gag me with a granola bar disgusting...from the vegan "cheese" and "ice cream" to ...well, almost everything else....ick ick ick!!!
  • KarenB927
    KarenB927 Posts: 94 Member
    The only thing I actually threw in the garbage after trying it once was Walden Farms Peanut Spread. I've always been one of those people that is willing to sacrifice a little taste for less calories and fat, but that wasn't a sacrifice, that was suicide. Since I was diagnosed with celiac disease after major thyroid problems, I've had to do a lot of sacrificing, but that was one product that definitely wasn't worth it,
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Anything with stevia. It has a horrible chemical aftertaste which is strange since it is a plant. Give me real sugar any day (yes, I worship the sugar devil).
    Any diet soda except Diet Dr. Pepper. That seems to be the only diet soda that tastes like the regular version. I'm getting to where I can tolerate Coke Zero but Diet Coke is horrid.
    Low fat cheese sucks, too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Shirataki noodles, Yves' Good Dog (puked), and pretty much any recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie's website. I think she hasn't eaten real dessert in so long to the point that she doesn't know how the actual stuff compares. I could say the same thing about a lot of other healthy food bloggers, but I've tried so many recipes on her website that turned out awful and I've just given up on them.

Interesting. I made her lentil sloppy joe's and loved it because I love lentils, and was considering doing some other stuff. Thanks for letting me know, I will stay away from her desserts.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited December 2015
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I remember tasting Tab for the first time when I was 8 years old. It was a sugar free cola sweetened with saccharine popular in the 70s. I took a swig and pretty much gagged. It was vile.

TaB is still available in some cities, and therefore online of course.
  • Sarahlascelles
    Sarahlascelles Posts: 41 Member
    Low fat Activia yoghurt. Bleurch.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    "Real" bread or no bread but never this:
    2gybogcu8fci.jpg
    My husband loves the stuff. I think it tastes like paper towels.