Oh my god, that was awful! (low-cal products you tried and hated)

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Any fat free cheese. The consistency sucks.

Quark. I wanted to like it because it has fantastic macros for the calories, but it tasted awful.

Oh yeah.. Elli's quark. *gag*

I had forgotten about Elli's - disgusting. Similar problem to the yogurt but not included in my earlier comment since quark is a cheese.

Also re: your comment about Trutein and other sweetened protein powders ... x10. I've made what I bought sort of palatable by adding 2-3 servings of instant espresso powder if I have it as a drink, or I'll bake it into oatmeal. I'm just avoiding protein powder from now on - if I buy any in the future it'll be unflavored so I can doctor it up properly.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Shirataki noodles, Yves' Good Dog (puked), and pretty much any recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie's website. I think she hasn't eaten real dessert in so long to the point that she doesn't know how the actual stuff compares. I could say the same thing about a lot of other healthy food bloggers, but I've tried so many recipes on her website that turned out awful and I've just given up on them.

Don't forget about the
    Oh, and this stuff. I'm not sure if it even is considered low calorie, but it's a bit lower than most nondairy yogurts. Eugh. I even wrote to them about how horrible it was.
    Nancy's%20soy%20image.jpg
    I tried some of their cottage cheese and it had an "off" flavor.

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I don't spend (waste money) on "diet" foods. But I did buy fat free brick cheese once (didn't realize till I got home) It was pretty gross. I find the more low fat foods are the more processed it is and higher in sodium and sugar so I buy full fat foods. That's just me.

Me too! This is what I've discovered as well. I'd rather have high quality, low volume food, personally.
  • stealthq
    edited December 2015
    tomatoey wrote: »
    One time, I felt like a grilled cheese sandwich. I got some horrible sliced stuff (I think it's the kind you can't legally call cheese) that *doesn't really melt*, it just beads up into these plastic looking balls

Yes, as far as I can remember I have always hated sliced or jist American cheese in general. I was the only kid who hated grilled cheese unless it was made with cheddar which was rare back then (80's) for some reason. That stuff is vile.

Not the only one (also an 80's kid). My family only makes grilled cheese on buttered crusty Italian bread (so it gets a nice golden brown on the griddle) with muenster cheese. If we're feeling 'fancy' we add thinly sliced ham. Always served with tomato soup.

The look on my face when my best friend's mother offered me her soggy, sad version of 'grilled cheese' (American cheese on Mrs. Baird's that was barely toasted) must have been priceless.

ETA: Also forgot FiberOne Brownie. Barely any chocolate taste, weird spongy/crumbly texture, unpleasant gastrointestinal effects. Lesson learned, chicory root is not the best source of fiber for me.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    becky10rp wrote: »
    Fat free cheese - tastes like &^$%, doesn't melt - YUCK!

This times infinity. I used to room with someone who used this on her nights to cook dinner... it was like putting a slice of thin yellow plastic on your sandwich. Taste and texture were exactly that: plastic. Like eating the wrapper off a slice of REAL cheese.

And as a corollary, fake butter. You can't believe it's not butter? I can. My nickname for this abomination was "yellow goo".

• stealthq
    Shirataki noodles, Yves' Good Dog (puked), and pretty much any recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie's website. I think she hasn't eaten real dessert in so long to the point that she doesn't know how the actual stuff compares. I could say the same thing about a lot of other healthy food bloggers, but I've tried so many recipes on her website that turned out awful and I've just given up on them.

Don't forget about the
    Oh, and this stuff. I'm not sure if it even is considered low calorie, but it's a bit lower than most nondairy yogurts. Eugh. I even wrote to them about how horrible it was.
    Nancy's%20soy%20image.jpg
    I tried some of their cottage cheese and it had an "off" flavor.

Yes ... I tried Nancy's cottage cheese at one point and I think I remember throwing it right in the trash. I don't remember exactly why the taste bothered me so much.

I like Kalona's Supernatural. It also does not taste like most cottage cheese, but I'm a fan. More mild to me, with a touch of salt.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    i know hummus is good for you blah blah ...but put some meat on it...lol..
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    I love some of the stuff you guys are mentioning:

Flavored seltzer water: yum
    Bean noodles: Delish
    Spirulina protein powder: green doesn't bother me, I like it fine
    Skim milk: yes please, thick nasty whole milk is thick and nasty!

All that said, I agree that artificial sweetener yogurt is the devil. It is all my MIL buys, that and margarine spread ans that fake plastic cheese. I now bring my own dairy products when we visit, lol.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    bbinoa wrote: »
    Fiber One cheesecake bars. Neither cheese nor cake. Ewwwwww!

Yup. And at 150 calories each, they're hardly low calorie.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Hellman's lighter than light mayonnaise. I like their light mayonnaise, that tastes fine to me (I only have mayo mixed with a lot of egg in sandwiches) but the lighter than light has NO taste at all!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2015
    Any low-fat margarine. They replace the fat with water. Which turns toast in to shoast. A much better option is whipped butter, which replaces the fat with air.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Quest bars are GROSS. Just cannot do it without having to rinse my mouth out 8735345 times immediately after.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Ever try an Exo protein bars? I'm an adventurous eater and will try most things. Its cricket protein. Now that wasn't the bad part, it was the fruit puree they made them with. NOT chocolaty at all!
  • kaylasaurus
    kaylasaurus Posts: 45 Member

I really like her dessert recipes! I've recently made her raspberry quick bread, apple crumble bars, crustless pumpkin pie... I don't use spelt flour like she calls for in a lot of her recipes and rarely will make anything completely sugar free - but overall I really like her recipes. To each their own, I guess!
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Arctic zero is so gross. Gave it three honest tries and absolutely not. Got halo top recently and it is 100000x better. Arctic zero makes me sick just thinking about it.

Most walden farms products. Syrup is ok.

Pumpkin quest bars. Gross.

Regular PB2. I like chocolate a lot though.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

ETA: Also forgot FiberOne Brownie. Barely any chocolate taste, weird spongy/crumbly texture, unpleasant gastrointestinal effects. Lesson learned, chicory root is not the best source of fiber for me.

I love FiberOne brownies. I use them for when I'm craving chocolate and don't have many calories left for the day.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    Pretty much anything by Walden Farms, excluding the pancake syrup.

THIS!
  • nataliebartell9
    nataliebartell9 Posts: 1 Member
    Kombucha. I have tried SO hard to like it because it's incredibly good for you, with probiotics and a multitude of vitamins. But it is seriously disgusting. I've tried the gingerberry flavor and the cranberry flavor from Synergy brand. I've tried sipping it slowly and I've tried chugging it, but this nasty drink takes no prisoners. It tastes pungent and sour
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Almond milk!
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Almond milk!

I've never actually tried this, so I really shouldn't weigh in, but I took my elderly father grocery shopping once and he bought this. I so wanted to ask him "You actually DRINK this?", but I didn't want to turn him off of asking me for rides to the store. We haven't lived in the same household for 30 years, but we were always a whole-milk family (and I still am... I don't use it often, but I buy nothing else).