I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO A SQUAT

Options
Every time I try a squat, I feel like I'm falling over and end up looking so dumb that I give up. I have a routine of leg raises, push ups and squats and I can't figure out how to stand and balance without being terrified!!!!!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has some form videos you can watch. Without seeing how you are currently performing them, it's hard to give advice on how to fix it.
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Squatting can be really awkward when you first start. Start with squatting to a chair - make sure you sit back with your hips. You can progress to lower and lower surfaces until you can squat by yourself. You can also play with the width of your squat stance to find what works best for you. There are also tons and tons of videos online that will help you if you want further instructions.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A friend of mine is a trainer. She recommended that I stand in front of a wall (facing it), hold my arm out at my sides, and try to squat. If I'm falling into the wall, I'm doing it wrong. It helps me focus on keeping my balance where it should be. Maybe that will work for you!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    ash_law wrote: »
    Squatting can be really awkward when you first start. Start with squatting to a chair - make sure you sit back with your hips. You can progress to lower and lower surfaces until you can squat by yourself. You can also play with the width of your squat stance to find what works best for you. There are also tons and tons of videos online that will help you if you want further instructions.

^Solid advice. I was going to recommend box squats also. Remember to keep your weight in your heels- don't lean back to do so, just make sure all of your weight isn't on your toes to prevent falling forward. When you squat, do so slowly- look down and see if your knees are falling in front of your toes, you want your knees in line with your toes, not farther forward. If it helps, look upward toward the ceiling slightly to keep yourself from leaning forward. Also, if there is a trainer at your gym you could ask them to watch you and tell you what to do differently!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell without a video. Key is to keep your center of mass over your shoelaces (which is another way of saying stay off your toes and don't rock back too far on your heels). if your butt is going back (which is pretty much always the case in the squat), you have to counter that weight by either leaning your torso forward or putting your arms out in front of you. Depending on how much booty you've got, it might even help to use a dumbell or kettlebell in your extended hands to help shift your balance forward.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Every time I try a squat, I feel like I'm falling over/quote]

You're tipping backwards, right? Goblet squats will help balance you. Youtube for tutorials. While you're there, look for table bodyweight rows, since your routine is lacking pulling exercises. :+1:
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Every time I try a squat, I feel like I'm falling over and end up looking so dumb that I give up. I have a routine of leg raises, push ups and squats and I can't figure out how to stand and balance without being terrified!!!!!

Are you falling forward or are you falling backward? Do any muscles feel tight to the point that they limit your range of motion when you squat down which forces a large shift in weight to either the balls of your feet or your heels?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Hard to tell without a video. Key is to keep your center of mass over your shoelaces (which is another way of saying stay off your toes and don't rock back too far on your heels). if your butt is going back (which is pretty much always the case in the squat), you have to counter that weight by either leaning your torso forward or putting your arms out in front of you. Depending on how much booty you've got, it might even help to use a dumbell or kettlebell in your extended hands to help shift your balance forward.

One other thing occurs to me...if you're going to be leaning forward, make sure your legs are spread out enough that your torso has somewhere to go -- can't lean if your thighs are in the way. And make sure your feet are pointing in the same direction as your thighs -- some folks try to go for a wide spread but keep the feet facing forward, which makes things more difficult and doesn't make your knees happy.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options

^^^This!

My ex PT said to imagine trying to sit on a chair. Just before you "sit down", stand back up.
  • carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    bcf7683 wrote: »

^Solid advice. I was going to recommend box squats also. Remember to keep your weight in your heels- don't lean back to do so, just make sure all of your weight isn't on your toes to prevent falling forward. When you squat, do so slowly- look down and see if your knees are falling in front of your toes, you want your knees in line with your toes, not farther forward. If it helps, look upward toward the ceiling slightly to keep yourself from leaning forward. Also, if there is a trainer at your gym you could ask them to watch you and tell you what to do differently!

Some of the same things my trainer reminds me. One thing that I started saying to myself is "hips back"
  • stuart959
    stuart959 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the other great council, it may be helpful to do balancing exercises like standing on one leg and the like. I had to do that for PT after a leg muscle blow out and to get my balancing muscles strong enough to do just body weight squats. I too had a tough time finding the sweet spot, I drive my chest out slightly to keep my shoulders and back straight, hold my arms out straight pointed toward center, and lock my eyes on a fixed point to keep my head up and slowly drop my hips and making sure my legs flair outward not overtly forward. That may not be perfect but it keeps me from landing on my kiester. Also landing my hands on a surface say a counter if that height lets your thigh go parallel to the floor helps cuz I can grab it if needed.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Open a door, hold onto the knobs on either side, and squat down with the door edge between your knees. You won't fall, and you can gradually lean on the door handles less and less.
  • angelanieves9413
    angelanieves9413 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank u all for the advice. Last night I tried the one with the wall and I couldn't do it. But I found a slightly smaller stool that I'm able to squat down on and lift my self with my butt and thighs.... let's hope this works. I have faith and all of u giving me advice
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Open a door, hold onto the knobs on either side, and squat down with the door edge between your knees. You won't fall, and you can gradually lean on the door handles less and less.

I'm trying this tonight. Thank you :smile:
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The biggest help to me was looking up. I used to look at myself to check depth and form as best I could, when I started to look up my balance got wayyy better.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The 'So you think you can squat?' youtube video series was quite helpful for me.
  • angelanieves9413
    angelanieves9413 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »
    The 'So you think you can squat?' youtube video series was quite helpful for me.

Thank you I'll check that out