Diet wise which is less damaging, Beer or Red wine?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    desweds wrote: »
    genghis54 wrote: »
    Beer, full of sugar

And?

For some of us, the presence of sugar, especially refined sugar, makes it hard for us to control our caloric intake.

Did OP indicate this was an issue for him?

And does beer have more sugar than wine?
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Excessive drinking creates nutritional deficits that lead to health problems. A serving or two of beer or wine isn't the issue, it's when it's a bottle of wine, or a six pack of beer, EVERY night, that I would assume will eventually catch up with you.

https://www.bouldermedicalcenter.com/nutrition-recommendations-consume-alcohol/
  • desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Beer, full of sugar

And?

For some of us, the presence of sugar, especially refined sugar, makes it hard for us to control our caloric intake.

No to the first and "generally no" to the second.

As I explained to juggernaut, I was responding to you, not the OP.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Excessive drinking creates nutritional deficits that lead to health problems. A serving or two of beer or wine isn't the issue, it's when it's a bottle of wine, or a six pack of beer, EVERY night, that I would assume will eventually catch up with you.

https://www.bouldermedicalcenter.com/nutrition-recommendations-consume-alcohol/

yikes
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, I think what I'm going to say has already been said, but since the thread went a little off topic there I wanted to chime in.

If you are talking about weight management, it's all about the calories. Log your consumption and see if it puts you over your calorie goal or not.

If you are talking about health, when studies show a benefit to health from wine or beer, they are talking about a glass or two of wine, or a bottle or two of beer on occasion. Drinking a bottle of wine, or 4 bottles of beer every day would put you in the category of a heavy drinker, and the health risks of drinking heavily are probably going to offset any benefits, regardless of what type of alcohol you are drinking.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Beer, full of sugar

And?

How does that relate to alcohol consumption, which is the topic of the thread?

Well, I'd think that over-imbibing alcohol might make calorie control more difficult than a little bit of extra sugar. Most people probably have their logging less effected by a cookie than a bottle of wine, you know? ;-)

Of course, I don't think of beer as particularly sugary anyway.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    BEERRUNNER wrote: »
    Hello Fabulous people of the MFP!

I have gotten a habit lately of having either a bottle of red wine with dinner or maybe 3-4 beers on a nightly basis. I know Red wine is good for you and all but may I be over doing it? Am I doing the right thing with switching around with beer?

Also, I work out hard 3-4 times a week and take vitamins, drink lots of water throughout the day. Is this nice habit hampering me in any way? :)

Thanks!
    A bottle of wine or 3-4 beers on a nightly basis is IMO, overdoing it.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking a lot - doesn't matter if it is beer or wine - it's bad for your health and diet.
    ^^^This...

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You know it's ONE GLASS of red wine A WEEK that has some health benefits....
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Beer, full of sugar

And?

You were responding to me asking why that was relevant to the OP. If it isn't, I'm unsure why it was given as an answer to his post.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Actually, most of the studies that showed positive effects where at the 1-7 per week, mostly at 4-7 glasses. Of red or white.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I tought it was 1 glass a day!?!?!?

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    FWIW, the yeastie beasties in beer (and maybe in wine too, I don't know about that) can't or don't ferment all of the sugars present in the wort. These are typically longer chain carbohydrates. A lot of that is dependent on the malts used and the temperatures used in the mashing process which activate and deactive different enzymes. Dextrins give more body to the beer. Sometimes lactose is added to give a little sweetness and mouthfeel.

Some yeasts can't tolerate high alcohol levels and give out before even all of the fermentables are consumed. Others flocculate out during the process.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Good discussion of the benefits and what moderate drinking is: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/alcohol-full-story/

And happily something directly on point: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/is-wine-fine-or-beer-better/

Short answer: it doesn't much matter.
  • desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Beer, full of sugar

And?

You were responding to me asking why that was relevant to the OP. If it isn't, I'm unsure why it was given as an answer to his post.

No I wasn't. I was responding to your off topic "And?" statement with an equally happy off statement topic clarifying what I perceived as confusion on your part. As Juggernaut was kind enough to clarify, I now see your terse answer was, while unproductive to the conversation (I personally would have said something more clear such as "What does sugar have to do with this topic?"), I see what you were getting at vis-à-vis the topic thread.
  • lubalew
    lubalew Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The short answer is that any alcohol slows down the work of the liver. Viewed as a toxin to the body, the liver will keep working to process this first before getting back to the food processing and, depending on how much or how fast you have consumed, the other food takes a back seat to processing, hence the challenge to wt loss. The solution is stay away from a until, you reach your goal and then have it in moderation unless you want to climb the wt mountain again. That's been my challenge as a wine drinker, so this week I joined this site and am working to keep wine out of my regular diet for the time being. Hope this helps and if not, Google the question and several good sites do come up.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lubalew wrote: »
    The short answer is that any alcohol slows down the work of the liver. Viewed as a toxin to the body, the liver will keep working to process this first before getting back to the food processing and, depending on how much or how fast you have consumed, the other food takes a back seat to processing, hence the challenge to wt loss. The solution is stay away from a until, you reach your goal and then have it in moderation unless you want to climb the wt mountain again. That's been my challenge as a wine drinker, so this week I joined this site and am working to keep wine out of my regular diet for the time being. Hope this helps and if not, Google the question and several good sites do come up.

I continued to drink wine while losing weight and saw no adverse effects to my weight loss, as long as I factored the calories into my day. Now that I'm in maintenance, I can have wine AND chocolate. :)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    lubalew wrote: »

Very questionable biology: a glass of wine does not significantly affect 24hr proteolysis.

It's really about the weight. Add extra calories from alcohol and weight will rise. Increase weight, rather than alcohol affects liver enzymes.

(Ref: http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/30/4/766.long)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Beer, full of sugar

And?

No I wasn't. I was responding to your off topic "And?" statement with an equally happy off statement topic clarifying what I perceived as confusion on your part. As Juggernaut was kind enough to clarify, I now see your terse answer was, while unproductive to the conversation (I personally would have said something more clear such as "What does sugar have to do with this topic?"), I see what you were getting at vis-à-vis the topic thread.

I apologize that you found my post unclear.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    At first I was thinking a glass of wine or a beer, eh, that isn't much of an effect as long as you are logging it.

But a bottle of wine or 4 beers is A LOT to have every day. Way way too much whether you are trying to lose or not.