Nighttime eating.. omg

Options
2»

Replies

• happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I went through a period a few years ago of binge eating every day for weeks. I was so down about myself, it was so awful. I got myself out of it by opening up to my family about my problem, and they hid the foods in our house that would trigger a binge for me. They also would ask me if I'd binged on anything that day and I would feel so guilty if I did so I just stopped doing it. I've been binge free for a few years now. Good luck.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If I'm craving something at night (especially in these colder months) I try to drink hot tea. Right now I'm drinking Trader Joes Pomegranate White tea...it is sweet and tends to take away my want to eat something! Good luck, you'll find what works for you!

I do this during the day. I basically live off tea and broth during the day and eat in the evening!
  • DanGemmell
    DanGemmell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are medications to help with binging, ex. Prozac, Dexedrine. Because your doctor has diagnosed you with an eating disorder, there should be no problem getting a prescription.
  • DanGemmell
    DanGemmell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ZeXea wrote: »
    Same problem with me. I tried a LOT and ultimately settled on not eating during the day. I eat no more than like 100 calories in the day, tops 200 on weekends, and then eat my last 1000-1300 at home from 6pm-11:45pm.
    I love it ☺️❤️ but I know it's not for everyone. It can be hard resisting food for most of the time you're awake.

Do NOT do this. The reason binging is more common in the evening is because of lack of eating in the day, and then your body sends binge drives because it's so hungry. Eat MORE during the day!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    DanGemmell wrote: »
    There are medications to help with binging, ex. Prozac, Dexedrine. Because your doctor has diagnosed you with an eating disorder, there should be no problem getting a prescription.

Well I asked if this was a formal diagnosis and OP never answered.

• prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Same problem with me. I tried a LOT and ultimately settled on not eating during the day. I eat no more than like 100 calories in the day, tops 200 on weekends, and then eat my last 1000-1300 at home from 6pm-11:45pm.
    I love it ☺️❤️ but I know it's not for everyone. It can be hard resisting food for most of the time you're awake.

Do NOT do this. The reason binging is more common in the evening is because of lack of eating in the day, and then your body sends binge drives because it's so hungry. Eat MORE during the day!

this is sooo not true for me. Now I don't go as low as 100-200 during the day but I don't eat a lot during the day because I'm just not as hungry. I used to subscribe to the idea that I HAD to eat my biggest meals during the day to prevent evening hunger. It didn't work for me and I was just as hungry at night.

When I forced myself to eat breakfast within an hour of waking up... I found myself even hungrier than normal in two hours. I think as long as the daily nutrients balance out...there's nothing wrong with eating less during the day and more at night (considering no acid reflux)
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Uh...no. You're wrong. I've tried small many meals and big meals throughout the day. I've tried filling foods and veggies and everything. I still overeat and can eat and have eaten just as much at night as I do now. In the end this has worked for me and I'm happy with it.
  • ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options

this is sooo not true for me. Now I don't go as low as 100-200 during the day but I don't eat a lot during the day because I'm just not as hungry. I used to subscribe to the idea that I HAD to eat my biggest meals during the day to prevent evening hunger. It didn't work for me and I was just as hungry at night.

When I forced myself to eat breakfast within an hour of waking up... I found myself even hungrier than normal in two hours. I think as long as the daily nutrients balance out...there's nothing wrong with eating less during the day and more at night (considering no acid reflux)

I'm the exact same! I didn't like eating breakfast at all! It makes me think of eating the entire day, I'm always hungry later, I'm miserable when I try to "balance" my eating with day and night. I eat just fine and properly with all my meals at night. Plus I'm more productive and happier during the day :)
    Glad to see I'm not alone :)!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had the same and she controls it this way...

She saved her calories for the evening.
    In the day time she ate breakfast, lunch and dinner
    But low calories
    She prepped for the evening boxes/tubs with food in it...candy crisps popcorn whatever.
    And each tub was 100 calories
    4 green stickers on 4 tubs
    2 orange stickers on 2 tubs
    2 red stickers on 2 tubs.

The greens meant you are still in deficit
    orange meant close to maintenance
    and red over.

She trained herself she could eat them after dinner till bedtime.
    And her trick was that when she was taking an orange tub that she went to bed.
    And trying to stretch time and stick to the green ones.

It worked, she solved her problem :) Big time she lost about 80 lbs! And is for 2 years at a healthy weight and maintaining successfully.

Maybe an idea for you?

95069916.png
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same! I didn't like eating breakfast at all! It makes me think of eating the entire day, I'm always hungry later, I'm miserable when I try to "balance" my eating with day and night. I eat just fine and properly with all my meals at night. Plus I'm more productive and happier during the day :)

You are def not alone. And I was ECSTATIC to know I wasn't being a complete failure by eating late.

I used to think eating anything after 9 meant the food would instantly turn to fat. So I would jam all these calories early in the day and try not eat after 7.

No lie... When I was on this... No food after 7 kick... Several times I found myself waking in the middle of the night and eating half sleep because I was starving. This felt disordered to me. It was like I couldn't help myself. So glad that didn't take hold. So glad there's likeminded folks out there who find success in the same way. Cheers!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options

You are def not alone. And I was ECSTATIC to know I wasn't being a complete failure by eating late.

I used to think eating anything after 9 meant the food would instantly turn to fat. So I would jam all these calories early in the day and try not eat after 7.

No lie... When I was on this... No food after 7 kick... Several times I found myself waking in the middle of the night and eating half sleep because I was starving. This felt disordered to me. It was like I couldn't help myself. So glad that didn't take hold. So glad there's likeminded folks out there who find success in the same way. Cheers!

Add a me too. Gave up on the idea that I have to have set mealtimes and start my my day with a healthy breakfast. The calories I ate in the morning seemed to disappear. Always led to overeating.

Eating like this hasn't hurt my weight loss. I am assuming that it won't hurt in maintenance either.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Whoa! Slow down a just a second.
    Let's not buy the cart before we get the horse. Yes, there are meds that can control binging, and as a last recourse that option should be examined, key words being 'last recourse'. Looking at the other responses its clear to see I am not the only one who distributes my calories to my preferred eating habits as opposed to three squares at designated meal times because the food guide says breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

If trying a more tailored approach doesn't pan, then yes by all means, look to your doctor for help with a resolution, however if the goal is not simply to lose weight but also to maintain that eating style permanently, then you need to try and discern what does work that's sustainable indefinitely.

Prozac, for example, comes with a much bigger list of potential drawbacks than skipping lunch ever will. I'm not poo-pooing all over meds, they have their purpose, but again that really should be an 'absolutely nothing else works'. And honestly, if we are pushing the pill option push Concerta, its the least damning with side effects and long term exposure problems.

But really, you can't just say "don't do this!" in regards to not eating more in the day but banking cals for evening. Maybe that doesn't work for you, but it doesn't mean it doesn't work.