Leg cramps

briabner
briabner Posts: 427 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I have recently started loosing weight because I am finally eating right and excerising more. My work out routine is walking twice daily for between 15-30 minutes and then I have been swimming everyday for 1-2 hours. Recently, I have been getting terrible leg cramps. I have increased my water intake typically to 12 glasses a day. I also recently added gatorade/powerade and have been eating bananas. I do know that you can get leg cramps from not enough potassium. Here lately though they have been so bad that not even aleve or tylenol helps at all.

Any suggestions would be great. I just am not sure what is going on. And the thing is I am doing low impact excerising so I really dont know.....any insight would be great. Unfortunately, I havent been very good about logging my food/excerise here lately but I can tell you that I am eating at least 1500 calories per day due to the increase in excerise.

Replies

• gcumpson
    gcumpson Posts: 39
    I know mine are directly related to my level of hydration. I always go with water and stay away from sports drinks and things like that there is stuff in there that isn't as good for you as they let on. You seem to be doing everything right. If you do log your food you may find something that comes up on the same day as your leg cramps. You never know. Good luck
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Are you stretching a bit after your walks? I know that when I slack off in this area - my legs can tighten up during the day.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I'm having to stretch my calves more now that I've started running, but haven't had a problem with cramps. My first instinct is that you should go talk to your doctor about this. He can order lab tests that will check your potassium and other electrolyte levels to see if there is a problem in that area. Other than that, keep stretching those muscles.
This discussion has been closed.