Maintaining diet routine

Options
In Malaysia,every snacks or any types of food for that matter,is always 100 cal. and above. Everytime I go on a holiday,I cant find any food to eat to keep my diet intact. If I eat some heavy food,I'll tend to continue eating heavy food for the rest of the day. Does anyone know how I can keep my diet on the right track? I mean what food should I always bring....what things I should eat before a meal or anything like that? Anyone?

Replies

• mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Things I bring on the road: protein powder, rice cakes, fruit, nuts (be careful with quantity as they are loaded with cals), protein bars (also make sure they are lower cal), jerky, canned meat. Hope this helps! As far as not continuing heavy meals, I suggest pre logging to the best of your ability. This way you have a plan and can stick to it!! Once you have a cheat meal, that's it, no more!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look for grilled/baked/steamed/roasted meats with no sauce.
    Limit rice and bread.
    Look for beans and veggies and fruits.

If I eat the heavy food, I save it for the end of the day so it does not throw off the whole plan.
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Malaysia is hard for healthy eating, there is low priced food everywhere, much of which is high calorie and elaborately prepared fatty food calling on influences from China, India, Arabia, Europe and traditional orang melayu. Yumm, nothing quite like the hawker markets and stalls.

Low calorie alternatives can be very hard to find and tend to be very expensive (I seem to remember more than RM 20 for a pack of rice cakes in KL)

Assuming that you don't want to just eat chicken or vegetable rice (normally the lowest calorie items on the menu), your best plan might be be to have a large glass of water 15 minutes before you want to eat (to take the edge off your hunger before ordering) then only eat half the portion (share with friend, save for later or leave at the table).

Edited to add: also, the fruit stalls will be your friend so pack a knife and chopping board and you can fill up on fruit wherever you are