Hula hooping

Options
I've recently rediscovered my hula hoop that was tucked away in my garage. I have been using it for a few days now- about 1-2 hours a day- and I can notice my core feeling more firm. Does anyone know if this is a good core workout or should I go back to crunches, etc? Help?

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it can be a good work out.
    I believe there are hooping videos on youtube. here is an example
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've recently rediscovered my hula hoop that was tucked away in my garage. I have been using it for a few days now- about 1-2 hours a day- and I can notice my core feeling more firm. Does anyone know if this is a good core workout or should I go back to crunches, etc? Help?

I think it's more cardio than core. But EVERY exercise you do is a good thing. Crunches are over rated.

Here's a link to the MFP group:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/2763-hooping

Not very active right now, but lots of info
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have weighted hula hoops and have a lot of fun with them. It can be a great workout! If you end up wanting to use a weighted one (I think mine are 5 and 10lbs), keep in mind that you will probably see some bruising around your hips at first. Take it slow and ease in :)
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer included 2 sets of 3 minutes of hula hooping in my workout program this month; she said it's a good core/abdominal workout. The trouble I have is that the bottom of my rib cage is verrry close to my hip bones so there's a good deal of bruising going on.
  • stephanie_queen
    stephanie_queen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have weighted hula hoops and have a lot of fun with them. It can be a great workout! If you end up wanting to use a weighted one (I think mine are 5 and 10lbs), keep in mind that you will probably see some bruising around your hips at first. Take it slow and ease in :)
    Mine is weighted and yup, I have bruises on my hips. I took me a second to realize where they were from. Haha
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Great form of cardio!
  • SamKorosi
    SamKorosi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    i bought my first weighted hoop yesterday and was using it last night. I guess I'll brace myself for bruising.
    I've heard lots of good things about hooping being a good core workout so I thought I'd give it a go :)
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I did hoop dancing for about a year back in the day. I still have my hoops out in the garage somewhere. It's a lot of fun to learn tricks, but it came with a lot of bruises and busted faces too lol. It was great cardio, and it's easy to lose track of the time once you get into it and find your flow (aka when you aren't dropping it every 5 seconds) It was great for isolating muscles too, like learning to hoop on your knees and bump it back up to your hips, or just sitting on the floor and hooping on your neck or chest.