Terrified of new routine

Options
I've been doing moderate strength training to build up with cardio the past few weeks and today, after speaking with my doctor about my calorie intake issues, my trainer sent me my new workout, that we will start tonight, and admittedly I am a bit freaked out by it. At 243lbs (5'8) and not weak in the muscle area regardless of fat, I am still side eyeing it. Its very intimidating.

How do you over come the initial overwhelming feeling?

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "How do you over come the initial overwhelming feeling?"

By starting the routine. Your Trainer spoke with your Doctor? Or am I reading that wrong?

If your Trainer and your Doctor think you can/should do it. Start it. Give it a try. Do what you can at your best and see what happens. Should be difficult, exercise can be to be effective. Your Trainer will be there? Your Trainer should be able to help you access your condition as you proceed, and assist you if needed.

Start it up and see how it goes. Do you really think you'll get hurt? Absent a physical injury, there is nothing to worry about. Failure only leads to trying again and ultimate improvement.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Are you going to die from doing the routine? If not then it's not a big deal. What's the worst that can happen? You'll have to give up? You'll be sore afterwards? Not a big deal either.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The longest journey starts with the first step. Don't dwell on it, just do it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Everybody is nervous to try something new. You totally got this! Your trainer is there to help and guide you, so you're not even doing it alone. Good luck!
  • BoogiesMom10
    BoogiesMom10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been having problems hitting my calorie intake because I feel so full off the smallest things, so my trainer went with me to see my doctor about it. After figuring out the issue, my trainer got the okay to actually start high intensity training since I've been building up.

I know I can do it, I know I have to do it, I will do it, its just very intimidating for someone who really has never done much outside of basic sports and cardio. I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around it. I know I'm over thinking it, I know I won't die from it, and I know it'll be worth it, but I know I will feel like it at first and that is terrifying.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    But think of how great you will feel AFTER. That's why I keep doing workouts that maybe don't feel so fun at first.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    my trainer got the okay to actually start high intensity training since I've been building up.

You don't really "start" high intensity training, you work up to it.. Tonight's workout should not have vastly greater demands than what you've been doing.. if the trainer is good. Anyway, let us know how it goes..

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    What is the workout? Is it something you are physically capable of doing or at least almost able to complete? If yes, you just have to get up and out of your comfort zone for a little bit. If this is some pro-athlete way above your skill/endurance level, you might wanna tell your trainer you need something a bit more modified/suitable for you to start off
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I had never done any exercise until I was 55. I just put my best smile on and went at it with gusto.
    I failed a few things, I was sore more often than not, I cried when I got home and said I would never go back.

I got past all that, and am so glad I did, I am in pretty good shape now.

It is just you and your trainer. It sounds like you have a good relationship so a give him lots of feedback.

Trepidation is normal, but you can do this.
    As others have said, let us know how it goes.

Cheers, h.
    Ps love your pink hair. I have just had my pink bleached out for the winter.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    So, how did it go?