to do or not to do Bypass surgery ?

Options
my insurance finally got me the ok to do the sleeve surgery . I need to loose 16lbs .. from 250 lbs and doing a diet.
I need to hear success stories of people that have done the sleeve or a bypass.
For many years i have done yo yo diets and end up eating those carbs..
I am thinking once I have the surgery down i will be able to control those carbs cravings.
My kids don't want me to have the surgery because they are scared something will happen.
I am tired of being so overweight and with no energy .. Not to mention I am ADHD and it affects me more. I need to be energized.. and I am here second thinking should I or not have the surgery ? How many times have I failed but This time I a determin. I am getting older and with this weight on me its not getting any easier. I am starting to feel the pain in my bones, back, the stress, the lack of energy. what has been your experience or what is your personal opinion ?

Replies

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have never had surgery to help me lose the weight. And, I would never have the surgery if it was offered to me. It takes time to lose the weight. You MUST MAKE life style changes or you WILL GAIN the weight back, surgery or no surgery. So....I say do not have the surgery! Lose the weight on your own, you can do it!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    You don't need surgery.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Surgery is something only you can really decide. But if you are ADHD have been prescribed Concerta? It's got a pretty hare core appetite suppressing side effect and would help you in the energy department. If you have/had and it didn't work then that's a bummer but if you haven't I'd consider that route first.

NOT that I'm pushing it as a diet aide, but if that's something that you would benefit from anyway, you may be able to skip out on surgery.

Just a thought. Good luck to you however you choose to move forward :)
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    There are so many complications that can develop. I am sure you have researched it but you need to be sure. I agree only you and your dr can decide if this is right for you. You said you need to lose 16lbs. I was not sure if that was a typo. You are getting older? I'm going to be 54 on Friday and I would never get the surgery because as a nurse I've had patients with the complications to bypass and the sleeve. Just something for you to think about.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Here's my thinking on the subject. First, you have to lose some weight before you can have the surgery. If you can lose that weight on your own, you can lose more weight on your own. Also, you have to make major changes to your eating after the surgery. If you can make those changes, you can make those major changes without the surgery.

Why not give yourself a year of doing it without the surgery, but living "as if" you'd had the surgery? Ask your doctor to help you follow the post-op plan, without having to actually be post-op. If you stick with it, great! You don't need surgery. If you can't stick with it, it means you probably wouldn't have been successful with the surgery either.
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine had a gastric band fitted a little over a year ago but rather than lose weight in the two months before the operation, she actually gained 5kg (she paid to have the operation performed in another country so she wouldn't have to go through all the normal procedures and lied about her starting weight when she booked it). Initially, she had great results and went from about 130 kg to 65 kg in a year (she is 155 cm tall). Now she has started gaining weight again.

The problem; she has not addressed her relationship with food. Seriously, she posts majorly unhealthy food photos or recipes at least once a week on Facebook (often several a day) and she obsesses constantly about her next meal, snack, treat, indulgence........ I have a feeling that she will continue to regain weight from now on and may end up with worse problems than she started with.

This surgery can be a great tool to lose weight, but so is MFP or any of the other online tools and apps available. These are not only free but provide an education into sustainable lifestyle changes that will not only help you to lose the weight but to keep it off for life.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Please explain why you feel the carbs are your problem ?

Carbs don't actually cause people to gain weight. For someone to gain weight, they need to eat at a calorie surplus.
    Weight loss comes down to cico. Its about calories , not carbs ( some that have certain medical issues do need to restrict carbs )

If you want to have a surgery, then go for it. But know that it really comes down to calories. In order to lose weight, all that's needed is a calorie deficit. Eat less and move more. Its that simple.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had the bypass and mine is a success story. The surgery is a tool. You also need to shift your relationship with food. The next 16 pounds will help.

Follow your medical teams instructions religiously, including making sure you are eating enough.
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    Here's my thinking on the subject. First, you have to lose some weight before you can have the surgery. If you can lose that weight on your own, you can lose more weight on your own. Also, you have to make major changes to your eating after the surgery. If you can make those changes, you can make those major changes without the surgery.

Why not give yourself a year of doing it without the surgery, but living "as if" you'd had the surgery? Ask your doctor to help you follow the post-op plan, without having to actually be post-op. If you stick with it, great! You don't need surgery. If you can't stick with it, it means you probably wouldn't have been successful with the surgery either.
    Awesome advice! Please listen to this person if you think it's right for you.

• chey282
    chey282 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I also considered it, I'm 5 ft tall and at my heaviest was 260. Dr was almost pushing me to have it, but I refused. I chose to do it the traditional way, diet and exercise. 2 years later I'm down 60 lbs! I have a total of 6 degenerative discs, fibromyalgia, arthritis, low thyroid, menopausal, just to get started! Both knees are bad from the excess weight as well. Only you can decide if the surgery is for you, if you can't control your diet before are you going to be able to after? I didn't want to give up pop entirely, or sugar or have that permanent change. This is something you need to really research and talk to people that have had it done, see if you are willing to do what it's going to require, there are plenty of people that have had it done just to either not lose any or regain what they did lose. Maybe take 6 mos and try MFP and see how it goes, while researching the surgery.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Surgery DOESN'T address the issue of behavioral eating habits. Sure you eat less because of less volume your stomach can hold, but without the sleeve, you lack the discipline to resolve that currently. So when it comes off, guess what? Weight regain. Address the issue on WHY it's happening and not how you can just defer results temporarily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nshaf08
    nshaf08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work in a hospital and see the aftermath of these types of surgeries. Complications can arise so do your research. There are success stories, however, you still have to put in work to maintain the weight loss. I see many people who put the weight right back on due to either complications from the procedure or simply from eating the wrong foods and/or too much of it. It's not a miracle procedure by any means. Good luck to you!
  • Starfish_Pink
    Starfish_Pink Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Marisol, I know how you feel about wanting to just get rid of the weight. Gastric bypass is a serious and doesn't always solve your issues. You stomach can be cut in half but if you eat how you normally eat, it will stretch your stomach out again making the operation pointless. Not to mention what the other posters mention, complications.
    However using the same ideas as a gastric bypass you can try the 5 bite diet by Dr. Alwin Lewis. It's basically using the similar concept as the food portion/diet you would eat after the surgery. This is a diet to quickly drop the weight till you goal, not sustainable for long term. Once you hit your goal weight then go into maintenance. I want you to give this a try before doing something you can't reverse. There is a book on it and Facebook forum with many people who have fine success on it. We all struggle but at least there is a support system.
    I think the most important is mentality and finding the right diet/food habit that works for you. I takes me a long time to find motivation sometime an entire year. So just get your head straight and be determine to have the will power (this is reminding myself too). Let me know if you have any question. I can also recommend you to the forum.
  • MarisolSol76
    MarisolSol76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you
    llbrixon wrote: »
    I have never had surgery to help me lose the weight. And, I would never have the surgery if it was offered to me. It takes time to lose the weight. You MUST MAKE life style changes or you WILL GAIN the weight back, surgery or no surgery. So....I say do not have the surgery! Lose the weight on your own, you can do it!

• MarisolSol76
    Options
    Yes, I'm ADHD. Wasn't on Concerta was an aderreal but don't want to lose weight because of that. ....but it will make me lose weight. Trying to avoid mess for now. I'm breastfeeding too. :)
    Obnoxa wrote: »
    Surgery is something only you can really decide. But if you are ADHD have been prescribed Concerta? It's got a pretty hare core appetite suppressing side effect and would help you in the energy department. If you have/had and it didn't work then that's a bummer but if you haven't I'd consider that route first.

NOT that I'm pushing it as a diet aide, but if that's something that you would benefit from anyway, you may be able to skip out on surgery.

Just a thought. Good luck to you however you choose to move forward :)

• MarisolSol76
    Options
    I need to lose 16lbs in order to do the suergey. My total weight loss is 120- 130lbs.
    mallowbar wrote: »
    There are so many complications that can develop. I am sure you have researched it but you need to be sure. I agree only you and your dr can decide if this is right for you. You said you need to lose 16lbs. I was not sure if that was a typo. You are getting older? I'm going to be 54 on Friday and I would never get the surgery because as a nurse I've had patients with the complications to bypass and the sleeve. Just something for you to think about.

• MarisolSol76
    Options
    Best advice ever thanks. :)
    64crayons wrote: »

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You have to be done breastfeeding for the surgery, right? That gives you some time to figure it all out with your doctors. I used to do the psych evals for bariatric surgeries in my area, which took a closer look at whether someone was demonstrating the right type of behavior changes necessary for this to be a success. It always came back to their willingness to accept the limited portions and VLCD, the need for regular exercise, their coping mechanisms for stress and any other challenges that can lead to an unhealthy lifestyle, etc. Whichever you chose, best of luck and take care of yourself!