Protein

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There are numerous protein powders on the market that contain 0 carbs. A simple Google search will provide your answer.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    pretty big misconception, protein or any food actually wont make you bulky, those who are bulky either worked there butts off to get it, or used a drug source but still worked for it.....its not easy getting bigger and its even harder for females to get bigger.....workout and eat a balanced diet you will love what happens and i promise you, your not gonna just wake up bulky lol

This is incorrect, the only way to bulk up is to consume lots of carbs

No, the only way to bulk up is to eat at caloric surplus and run the proper lifting routine to build muscle.

Also, why are you suggesting the OP cut her carbs? She asked about protein shakes.

To that topic, OP, I'm with blankiefinder. Shakes are good if you need to supplement your protein for one reason or another. I also think they're good if, for some reason, you like light meals every now and then.

They are not necessary for weight loss, and they are not necessary for muscle building (which is a whole different topic).

Because protein shake contain carbs, and she's asking about losing weight. I'm provided advise, it's completely on topic

That's not universally true...

Which part?

Find me a protein shake wirh 0 carbs?

Anyway we r going off topic, OP, high protein, moderate carbs ok, best advise I can give ya

Not arguing with you Rob, but one of the protein powders I use has 0.3g carbs per 30 grams, that's the lowest one I've been able to find.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    pretty big misconception, protein or any food actually wont make you bulky, those who are bulky either worked there butts off to get it, or used a drug source but still worked for it.....its not easy getting bigger and its even harder for females to get bigger.....workout and eat a balanced diet you will love what happens and i promise you, your not gonna just wake up bulky lol

No, the only way to bulk up is to eat at caloric surplus and run the proper lifting routine to build muscle.

Also, why are you suggesting the OP cut her carbs? She asked about protein shakes.

To that topic, OP, I'm with blankiefinder. Shakes are good if you need to supplement your protein for one reason or another. I also think they're good if, for some reason, you like light meals every now and then.

They are not necessary for weight loss, and they are not necessary for muscle building (which is a whole different topic).

No, I lift weights, this is not true.

Your muscles need glycogen to build muscle.

While this is true, 99% of the population will consume enough carbs to keep their glycogen stores filled during lifting just with a balanced diet. No need to emphasize it in my opinion. Saying "consuming lots of carbs" can be misleading.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    There are numerous protein powders on the market that contain 0 carbs. A simple Google search will provide your answer.

Because protein shake contain carbs, and she's asking about losing weight. I'm provided advise, it's completely on topic

Which part?

Anyway we r going off topic, OP, high protein, moderate carbs ok, best advise I can give ya

Not arguing with you Rob, but one of the protein powders I use has 0.3g carbs per 30 grams, that's the lowest one I've been able to find.

Guys,

I'm sure there is, but please can we keep this on topic.

The OP can get all of her protein sources from food, without being confused by the different protein shakes on the market. There is no benefit to consuming protein shakes on top of meals, your body can only use so much protein within a time window
  • Hornsby
    Options

Which part?

Guys,

The OP can get all of her protein sources from food, without being confused by the different protein shakes on the market. There is no benefit to consuming protein shakes on top of meals, your body can only use so much protein within a time window

Agree 100%, but would like to add that carbs don't need to be cut in order to do so. They absolutely can be as well as fat as long as you are keeping good ratios.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

No, no they don't necessarily. Most of the popular protein shakes are quite low carb. They're sweetened with stevia or sucralose.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Which you can get from a balanced diet. No need to focus solely on carbs.

Now, if you're low carbing and want to bulk, well then, I dunno. You might need to add more carbs.
  • robs_ready
    Options

While this is true, 99% of the population will consume enough carbs to keep their glycogen stores filled during lifting just with a balanced diet. No need to emphasize it in my opinion. Saying "consuming lots of carbs" can be misleading.

Your post claimed consuming lots of calories equated to bulking up, this is misleading.

The reality is, to bulk up to a good size, if that is your intention, requires a decent increase in carbohydrates.

The post is relevant, as the OP was concerned that protein made you bulky, which is a misconception within the BB community, protein only acts as a muscle repairer
  • robs_ready
    Options

Which part?

Guys,

Agree 100%, but would like to add that carbs don't need to be cut in order to do so. They absolutely can be as well as fat as long as you are keeping good ratios.

This is true, but there is a reason why the cutting season equated to lower carb intake...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

People can bulk on a ketogenic or low carb diet.
    Glycogen is stored in muscle and gives muscle part of its fullness and water, but amino acids are the active material used to make muscle. It doesn't use glycogen as a scaffolding, it just stores it there as fuel.
    Your body will also create some glucose for needed tasks when your dietary intake of carbs is low enough.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Which part?

Guys,

True, but sometimes people simply like the convenience of a shake for a quick meal replacement.

I like smoothies in the summer when my appetite isn't the greatest. I add veggies and fruit to protein powder and almond milk and use it as a meal replacement.

Some people just don't have much of an appetite at times.

The majority of protein powders aren't confusing, and I'm sure the OP doesn't need to worry about "confusion" since carbs are your problem, not hers.
  • nise82
    nise82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    nise82 wrote: »
    Trying to lose weight. Do I do a protein shake? Or is that just a meal replacement? I rather eat my food. Is the protein for those who are bulky and big?

I'm not a strong advocate of shakes, it's much easier to get protein from food.

I'd strongly suggest you restrict your carbs and eat more protein, a can of tuna has 30g of protein for example, and it's much better for you than protein shakes.

Protein also helps to make you feel fuller.

Good luck

• nise82
    Options
    Thanks I need more protein. Not a fan of shakes.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

I'm not currently using my protein powder for shakes. I like stirring it into my morning oatmeal to get more protein in my breakfast!

• nise82
    Options

Which you can get from a balanced diet. No need to focus solely on carbs.

Now, if you're low carbing and want to bulk, well then, I dunno. You might need to add more carbs.

• nise82
    Options
    I don't wanna bulk and like carbs. That my killer I need to prob cut some. But I work out hard cardio
  • nise82
    Options

I'm not currently using my protein powder for shakes. I like stirring it into my morning oatmeal to get more protein in my breakfast!

• nise82
    Options
    Great idea
  • robs_ready
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

People can bulk on a ketogenic or low carb diet.
    Glycogen is stored in muscle and gives muscle part of its fullness and water, but amino acids are the active material used to make muscle. It doesn't use glycogen as a scaffolding, it just stores it there as fuel.
    Your body will also create some glucose for needed tasks when your dietary intake of carbs is low enough.

Your muscles need energy to build, making muscle is a separate issue and requires protein.

I'm sure you can bulk on a keto diet, but carbs are the preferred fuel for the body.
  • robs_ready
    Options
    I don't wanna bulk and like carbs. That my killer I need to prob cut some. But I work out hard cardio

If you're doing lots of cardio then focus on getting protein into your diet, can't express how good tuna is!