Couch to 5K program

Options
Evanstl
Evanstl Posts: 44 Member
I just started the couch to 5K program today. I plan on doing it MWF, wondering what advice anyone has for me to do on T,TH,Sat? Thanks

Replies

• beachbum13
    beachbum13 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Weight training; I am also doing the training 5k workout and plan to do the firm on the off days
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i loved that program! (most of the time, lol) it was pretty tough once you got closer to running the whole thing but it totally works! I ran my first 5k in March after doing that program in about 37 minutes (i am NOT a runner).
    Before the couch to 5k i could not run at all- 1/4 of a mile was too much for me. I did mine on mon wed and fri but thats what worked into my schedule. good luck!
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    I'd take a 30 minute walk on your "off-days" to keep your muscles from seizing up. Nothing too strenuous, just a nice relaxed pace.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I second weight training. Yoga is also awesome for runners.
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I second weight training. Yoga is also awesome for runners.

i also did weight training and the elliptical on my off days.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hi, congrats on starting C25K! I am in Week 7 right now which is hard to believe because Day 1 kicked my butt, can't believe I've come this far! So ya, I run on either MWF or TThSat. Or if there' something going on I'll run Sunday instead but I just make sure I don't run 2 days in a row because I'm afraid of injuring myself. Don't be afraid to be a little flexible. Good luck!!!
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    I was planning to start today also! I plan to do a yoga class each week as well -- other than that, I plan to take it easy on my off days, just my normal dog-walking etc. I did this program once a couple years ago as well, and I was doing a 2x a week bootcamp as well -- to be honest, I found it a bit much, but it really depends on your current level of fitness.

Good luck -- want to be friends? We can motivate each other since we're doing it at the same time. :flowerforyou:
  • dswizzles
    dswizzles Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am doing Couch to 5K program and currently am on week 3! I can't imagine running a 5k straight but I hope this program helps!
  • sarahavery
    sarahavery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Im just downloading the podcasts from itunes for the Couch to 5k. Hoping to start on wednesday. Be honest .....is it really difficult to begin with. I mean i am only just starting outand have 100lb + to lose.
  • SunnyDispo619
    Options
    I echo the weight training, but I had the day before my third run of the week be a rest day. I walked my dog, but did no other workouts. Good luck! I love that program.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i also did weight training and the elliptical on my off days.

That's what I'm doing too. The elliptical is to help build up my stamina, which is a big issue at my age.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I am planning on starting this program today as well. I will be doing a combination of 30DS and Ripped in 30 with 1 day rest a week for the JM dvd's and 5k M,W,F might add a 4th day but I don't want to over do it and frustrate myself to quitting it all.
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I started this morning, and I think I am going to walk this entire week then start over and do like it says. I downloaded the app onto my iphone. I actually like the iphone app. It lets you add your music list and play music while you are walking. The GPS is not working on mine for some reasone, but when it works it will track your distance and pace. I love running but I have about 100 pounds to lose, which when I JOG lol I am worried people are looking at me saying what in the heck is that woman doing?

I really want to run a 5K somewhere, just to have a goal that I can say I did. I am hoping that running will help me lose the weight faster. :0)

Good Luck.
  • niki30
    niki30 Posts: 40
    Options
    I am so amazed that there are other people doing this program! I started yesterday, I plan on running my first 5K in the fall. I plan on doing Pilates and Body Gospel also. I am really looking forward to becoming more fit! I'm trying to talk my husband in to running with me, that's gonna take some convincing:wink:
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    take your time, get some good music and you will be fine! im on week 6 now. 6 weeks ago i could barely run, now i manage to run 20mins without feeling like im going to die! lol! i use a podcast which times everything for me! running into shape.com check it out! u can find loads of others which are set to music.

i do the 30 day shred and zumba on top as well! im doing my own version, i can manage 2 runs a week coz of busy weekdays.
    good luck!