Protein

Options
13»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Anyone on a caloric deficit should focus on getting a minimum of .65g per pound of bodyweight in protein daily in order to preserve muscle mass.

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Anyone on a caloric deficit should focus on getting a minimum of .65g per pound of bodyweight in protein daily in order to preserve muscle mass.

Yay, we finally agree on something
  • nise82
    nise82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    nise82 wrote: »
    I don't wanna bulk and like carbs. That my killer I need to prob cut some. But I work out hard cardio

If you're doing lots of cardio then focus on getting protein into your diet, can't express how good tuna is!

• nise82
    Options
    I will thanks
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight. Do I do a protein shake? Or is that just a meal replacement? I rather eat my food. Is the protein for those who are bulky and big?

@nise82

Now that you've further clarified your goals and what exercise you do, I think the distraction of the why use this vs that is mostly gone.

If you prefer to eat your foods, I'd suggest against most powders. Why? There are plenty of protein rich foods that will fill you up more and allow you to eat them, even quick and easy things. Of course they also have varied degrees of fats and carbs, but if you focus on the protein and then the secondary items you either want/need or don't, there are still plenty of easy and quick choices.

Want protein with minimal fat? Grab a can of tuna. If you want some fat, add mayo. If you want carbs, throw either version on some toast. The same can be done in a variety of ways with just about any source of protein that is also low fat. Chicken, many beans, various forms of Greek yogurt, etc.

Depending on your hunger levels, some of the protein bars are fairly filling for the size. For me personally protein calories fill me up better and make me feel full longer than fats and carbs do. That will vary with each person though, so find the combo that works for you.

If you don't have any issues feeling hungry within your weight loss calorie restrictions, or you just aren't hungry some days, powders can be great. But even in that case if you prefer to eat the protein, I've found that there are some protein bars that aren't very large, and eating one is no more volume than maybe a decent sized snack or piece of fruit.

There are times when I like a liquid burst of energy, like after a workout or when I just don't have much hunger. But overall, I've gotten much closer to just finding ways to fill my protein goals with adjusting what I eat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose weight. Do I do a protein shake? Or is that just a meal replacement? I rather eat my food. Is the protein for those who are bulky and big?

protein shakes have no magical weight loss properties...they are also not meal replacements...they are protein supplements that can help you hit your protein targets if you're not otherwise hitting them with your normal diet.
  • jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There are protein meal replacement shakes....I use them because I find they fill me up for way less calories than if I were to make food for myself because I make bad choices. So, by using the shakes I make good choices and stay within my calorie goals.
  • nise82
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

@nise82

Now that you've further clarified your goals and what exercise you do, I think the distraction of the why use this vs that is mostly gone.

If you prefer to eat your foods, I'd suggest against most powders. Why? There are plenty of protein rich foods that will fill you up more and allow you to eat them, even quick and easy things. Of course they also have varied degrees of fats and carbs, but if you focus on the protein and then the secondary items you either want/need or don't, there are still plenty of easy and quick choices.

Want protein with minimal fat? Grab a can of tuna. If you want some fat, add mayo. If you want carbs, throw either version on some toast. The same can be done in a variety of ways with just about any source of protein that is also low fat. Chicken, many beans, various forms of Greek yogurt, etc.

Depending on your hunger levels, some of the protein bars are fairly filling for the size. For me personally protein calories fill me up better and make me feel full longer than fats and carbs do. That will vary with each person though, so find the combo that works for you.

If you don't have any issues feeling hungry within your weight loss calorie restrictions, or you just aren't hungry some days, powders can be great. But even in that case if you prefer to eat the protein, I've found that there are some protein bars that aren't very large, and eating one is no more volume than maybe a decent sized snack or piece of fruit.

There are times when I like a liquid burst of energy, like after a workout or when I just don't have much hunger. But overall, I've gotten much closer to just finding ways to fill my protein goals with adjusting what I eat.

• nise82
    Options
    Thanks! I need to work on protein
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I get my protein from natural sources, I stopped drinking shakes because I prefer to enjoy my food.
  • zadowd
    zadowd Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    jenathp wrote: »
    There are protein meal replacement shakes....I use them because I find they fill me up for way less calories than if I were to make food for myself because I make bad choices. So, by using the shakes I make good choices and stay within my calorie goals.

Me too. Plus with my job I'm sometimes up 24hrs straight and don't want a heavy meal when I would normally be sleeping.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    Guys,

I'm sure there is, but please can we keep this on topic.

The OP can get all of her protein sources from food, without being confused by the different protein shakes on the market. There is no benefit to consuming protein shakes on top of meals, your body can only use so much protein within a time window

Since others have already shot down your 'theory' that only carbs will bulk you up (which, as we know, is not true), I'll address the broscience in the bolded part above to finish squashing the bad information. Here's an article by Alan Aragon (a well-respected fitness/nutrition researcher, in case you've never heard of him) which addresses that myth, complete with plenty of links to peer-reviewed studies backing up what he says.

If you'd like to learn more about the actual nutritional principles behind bulking, here's an article by Lyle McDonald (another well-respected fitness/nutrition researcher) outlining the principles. Here's one little excerpt from it just to whet your appetite:
    The bottom line is this: building muscle requires a surplus/excess of two things: the building blocks of muscle (protein/amino acids) and energy (calories). You can’t build muscle out of nothing and, without both in sufficient amounts, nothing happens.

In part 2 of the article, he talks about carbohydrates being the fuel for weight training, and recommends 2g - 3g/lb. of bodyweight, which equates to somewhere around 45%-60% of the total diet.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty sure excessive protein and fat stores as glycogen the truth is technically humans don't require carbs. Fat and protein will store as the energy that the body needs. That being said bathroom time would increase drastically.. loll

The reason glycogen is mentioned for building muscle is it takes energy to move heavy stuff and amino's to build and maintain the adaption of our bodies to adapt to the work load