PMS binge

Options
This happens every month. I do great for a few weeks, then that few days of over eating junk occurs & I'm practically back where I started. How do I break this cycle?

Replies

• Paulina1230
    Paulina1230 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I make myself workout instead cause when Im all sweaty the last thing I crave is junk. Im in your boat today too so I just gone done with an hour of running and biking and Im gonna drink lots of water and eat something healthy. Just get up and do something other than eat. It works.
  • silversue772
    silversue772 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I suffer from that too but I never thought to blame it on PMS; which I can no longer deny as my monthly cycle now totally off & winding down. But yes, for years I have been good for 2 weeks then spend a few days over eating junk food (whether it be a box of cookies, bag of nibs or a bag of granola or diet bars) I can literally eat everything in the house and not stop until I feel sick and disgusted with myself. Only to start the whole cycle over again. I can go up and down 10 - 15 lbs every month!

Regardless, it always occurs when my body (not my mind) feels likes its on empty and goes into overdrive wanting to devour/replenish itself with everything in sight whether it is good for me or not.

I am now wondering if it is due too a vitamin deficiency? Are my iron levels too low? Or is it because I do not always get a good night's sleep! Whether it be I stayed up too late or was out the night before and had too many alcoholic drinks or when I feel weak like I am losing the fight/ battle with an oncoming bought of the flu.

So now I will try to post the good and the bad to see if I can spot any trends/triggers so that hopefully I can see the pitfall before I dive first into the sinking sand!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight? For a binge to knock out 3 weeks of a deficit...I can't quite imagine that.
  • silversue772
    silversue772 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yep, back on track... in the sense that I am determined to lose 10 lbs. did it last month and I know that I can do it again. Of course, all in all I now want to lose 20; but scale moving downward although I have not yet recorded it.

But yeah, when I start eating and generally day or 2 before my period I will eat and eat and eat non stop... no problem for me to gain 10lbs in 2 days :( or after a weekend of hosting dinner parties back to back!

unfortunately I do not lose the weight as fast as I used to and with every cycle seem to be gaining more....

whether it be because the foods I eat are high in salt = water retention; or that I feel stuffed for days due to constipation or that I generally move to a very restrictive diet which in truth could be part of my problem.

But I refuse to blame it on PMS and my age (over 50 and only now starting to go through the "change)

Will try my best, Trust God and make peace with the rest.

Am I setting myself up for disaster? Especially as the Christmas social season is in full swing! Tomorrow night meeting some girls for a Christmas drink/vowing that I will have no more than 2 glasses of wine and hoping to get home early enough to ensure that I wake up feeling refreshed Fri morn.

Do not want to give myself another excuse to swing the pendulum the other way!

/silversue772
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yep, back on track... in the sense that I am determined to lose 10 lbs. did it last month and I know that I can do it again. Of course, all in all I now want to lose 20; but scale moving downward although I have not yet recorded it.

But yeah, when I start eating and generally day or 2 before my period I will eat and eat and eat non stop... no problem for me to gain 10lbs in 2 days :( or after a weekend of hosting dinner parties back to back!

unfortunately I do not lose the weight as fast as I used to and with every cycle seem to be gaining more....

whether it be because the foods I eat are high in salt = water retention; or that I feel stuffed for days due to constipation or that I generally move to a very restrictive diet which in truth could be part of my problem.

But I refuse to blame it on PMS and my age (over 50 and only now starting to go through the "change)

Will try my best, Trust God and make peace with the rest.

Am I setting myself up for disaster? Especially as the Christmas social season is in full swing! Tomorrow night meeting some girls for a Christmas drink/vowing that I will have no more than 2 glasses of wine and hoping to get home early enough to ensure that I wake up feeling refreshed Fri morn.

Do not want to give myself another excuse to swing the pendulum the other way!

/silversue772

This sounds more like you're losing weight by cutting carbs and reducing sodium - hence it's water weight

then around PMS your carbs go back up and your water weight returns

It is highly doubtful that you would exceed maintenance by so much in a couple of days that you can regain that many lbs of actual fat

if you log into a site like trendweigh.com or use apps like Libra or Happyscale you will be able to plot a trend, over time, and truly judge whether this short-term fluctuations are impacting on your overall trend of weight loss

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would suggest for someone like you that you try to go with an everything in moderation approach, focusing on widely nutritious foods but looking at calories rather than drastically cutting your carbs macro, that way the swings in water weight will be far less pronounced