Theory About Cravings

Options

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I saw somewhere that high processed food consumption leads to being hungry more often and those items contain sugar/HFCs and or sugar subs which in turn tell your brain to crave more once you get low in sugar. Just as a junkie cops next high.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Also see hungry for change and food matters documentaries which go into it a little also fed up was specific to the sugar crisis.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Sometimes some people's bodies just need a good cigarette?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I crave a nice big whopper of a chocolate bar. With nuts. Does that mean I'm crazy? :)

Well, what'ya know. This is for you.....

sometimes-you-feel-like-a-nut-slogan.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Cravings are for things that bump your dopamine. That can be seafood or Snickers.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    There may be some truth to that if you crave something like bananas for potassium or nuts for zinc, etc..., but certainly not cravings for sweets or junk food that don't contain much nutritionally.

Craving magnesium or calcium is a legitimate craving, but craving sugar or desserts or anything deep fried or crispy is just a lame excuse to eat what you like instead of what you need.

Some people may even say those for sugar and similar low nutritional foods are addictions (real, habitual, or psychological) which technically could be called cravings, though we should all recognize the difference between craving heroin and craving dark leafy greens.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Not exactly an original thought.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Craving chocolate eat magnesium
    craving sweets eat more chromium phosphorus sulfur and tryptophan like oily fish cheese nuts legumes liver
    Craving oily snacks you need more calcium
    Craving coffee or tea you may be low in iron phosphorus sulfur
    Chewing ice usually iron deficient
    Premenstrual craving eat more zinc
    You should eat whole foods and not take a pill to cure your cravings while your body may know what you are missing you will reach for whats familiar being on a regular processed food heavy diet will lead to mild malnutrition
    Food cravings may be overwhelmingly strong and there is nothing wrong in a little indulgence if i crave cheese i would rather have some and stop obsessing over it

Yeah, 'cause nothing cures a sweet tooth like a nice big piece of liver! LMAO. ;)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    craving sweets eat more chromium phosphorus sulfur and tryptophan like oily fish cheese nuts legumes liver
    You should eat whole foods and not take a pill to cure your cravings while your body may know what you are missing you will reach for whats familiar being on a regular processed food heavy diet will lead to mild malnutrition
    Food cravings may be overwhelmingly strong and there is nothing wrong in a little indulgence if i crave cheese i would rather have some and stop obsessing over it

Yeah, 'cause nothing cures a sweet tooth like a nice big piece of liver! LMAO. ;)

There is some truth to that. If I even smell or look at liver my appetite for sweets (or anything for that matter) is ruined for the day.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

There is some truth to that. If I even smell or look at liver my appetite for sweets (or anything for that matter) is ruined for the day.
    Aversion Therapy. <nods>

• pichu318
    pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    9aa5d977b1667b215e51a254aca57f08.jpg
    I'll just leave this here to see if anyone disagrees or agrees with it....
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    pichu318 wrote: »
    9aa5d977b1667b215e51a254aca57f08.jpg
    I'll just leave this here to see if anyone disagrees or agrees with it....

No sources whatsoever = useless.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The above list is so random.. I mean you crave tobacco because it's addictive, and carbonated drinks have zero calcium so it wouldn't make any sense to crave it for that. That's just for starters...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The only one that makes a little sense is a craving for salt. Mammals need salt (the first known trade between bands of early man was in salt) and I wouldn't be surprised if we still have a remnant of that instinct. Otherwise it is woo.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    That cravings chart... I can't even. And I'm sorry, that picture with PMS is pretty offensive.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    That cravings chart... I can't even. And I'm sorry, that picture with PMS is pretty offensive.

Is this one better?

390893_418806678185410_633058576_n.jpg
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I crave chocolate because I want chocolate lol
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I literally starting laughing out loud at PMS Barbie! Her and Dexter would have a really good life together.

Depending on the craving/situation, there seems to be mental and physical cravings. Mental cravings, such as when you're on a restrictive diet and can't have chocolate so you want chocolate ALL THE TIME and physical cravings, such as you're low in iron so you crave red meat. My significant other used to tease me because I'd come home about once a month and say "we need to go out for burgers: now!" I felt a million times better after the burger because my body was low on iron and I don't eat a lot of red meat.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Also, I love that that chart is telling me sun dried olives makes cravings for marijuana go away....wow....just wow....
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    What am I deficient in if my body craves jelly donuts?