Do I eat what I loose through excercising?

Options
Helppppp
I'm so new to this app and I've just put all my info in as follows:
I weigh 78-80kg
Wanting to get to 65kg
Wanting to loose about 1kg a week

They gave me 1200cal a day
If I eat up to this with like 50cal left but then loose 500cal excercising do I then need to go and eat those 500 I just lost to make up to my 1200cal a day?
So confused
Any advice would be so helpful!!
Thank you

Replies

• Leanqueen01
    Leanqueen01 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi! You don't need to eat back the calories you lose. If you are just starting out, it may be a good idea to simply eat 1200 calories a day, and after establishing a pattern of weight loss decide if you want to eat back calories burnt! :) (depending on how much you are losing) I personally dont eat calories back
  • bacs
    bacs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    MFP is setup so that you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back. Your calorie goal is a NET goal. Meaning if you eat 1200 then burn 500 then yes you'd eat back calories until you get to 1200. Otherwise you are only actually eating 700 calories for the day which isn't healthy or sustainable.
  • emmagarnham93
    emmagarnham93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you both so much for your help!
    with a little more research I've taken that I should eat 50-75% of my excerice calories as the calories burnt aren't 100% accurate
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    mazjubean wrote: »
    Hi! You don't need to eat back the calories you lose. If you are just starting out, it may be a good idea to simply eat 1200 calories a day, and after establishing a pattern of weight loss decide if you want to eat back calories burnt! :) (depending on how much you are losing) I personally dont eat calories back

This is actually the opposite of what MFP is set to. Not eating some of those calories back, especially when set to 1200 calories, can be detrimental to future exercise performance (little to no energy) and your body (muscle loss, inadequate nutrients, etc.)
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    with a little more research I've taken that I should eat 50-75% of my excerice calories as the calories burnt aren't 100% accurate

You have found the right info on you own. This is what I do and it works well. You can also see if you can manage on more calories as 1200 is too low for some and they can continue to lose by eating a bit more.

I personally am unable to lose by eating more than 1200/1300 (excluding exercise), but if you still struggle it is worth experimenting (increase your allocation by a small amount, wait a week, see if you still lose. Repeat).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »

You have found the right info on you own. This is what I do and it works well. You can also see if you can manage on more calories as 1200 is too low for some and they can continue to lose by eating a bit more.

I personally am unable to lose by eating more than 1200/1300 (excluding exercise), but if you still struggle it is worth experimenting (increase your allocation by a small amount, wait a week, see if you still lose. Repeat).

increasing it for only a week may not be long enough. you want to increase a little and wait several weeks to see if it makes a difference. since weight loss is not linear and you wont lose every week or the same amount all the time,some weeks you may not lose anything. so you need to do something for awhile to see what kind of results you are getting(either losing or gaining).losing a kg a week is ok if you are obese or more than 75lbs overweight. if you dont have a lot to lose than 1kg a week may be too aggressive,you dont mention your height or age either.I would set you goals to lose 0.2kg(or half a lb) since you dont have a lot to lose and go from there.
  • emmagarnham93
    Options
    Thank you guys so much
    All this feedback is awesome!
    Im starting to really get a hang on MFP now
    I am 170cm tall and 22 years of age
    I know 1kg a week may seem a bit much but I'm super dedicated to loosing the 15kg in 15 weeks
    If it does get too much for me I know I can always go back and change up my goal etc to put me where I want to be

Thank you guys again
    Means a lot!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    Lose so you will be loose.
  • emmagarnham93
    Options

Pardon???^^
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thank you guys so much
    I know 1kg a week may seem a bit much but I'm super dedicated to loosing the 15kg in 15 weeks
    If it does get too much for me I know I can always go back and change up my goal etc to put me where I want to be

Thank you guys again
    Means a lot!!

You should not try to lose more than about 1% of your body weight per week, otherwise you'll typically end up losing a poor ratio of fat to muscle. And if you end up losing too much muscle (ending up normal weight but overfat from having low musculature) it's harder and longer to rebuild that muscle than it would have been to not lose it in the first place.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much

Thank you guys again
    Means a lot!!
    Thank you guys so much

Thank you guys again
    Means a lot!!

Im about your height but have almost 20 years on you and even when I was almost 70lbs overweight,I didnt go with 2lbs a week.you wont lose that much weight every week either. the less weight you have to lose the longer it can take to come off. weight loss isnt linear so some weeks you may not lose anything.. set a more realistic goal as well. 2lbs a week is too much for someone with not much weight to lose.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Pardon???^^

She means you "lose" weight so your clothes will be "loose".