can't even manage to take 3000 steps in a day

Options
How do you guys do it... please share tips on time management if you are successful with that to take steps as much as 5k or above
Thanks

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why can't you do 3000 steps? It's not that many steps or about 20 minutes walking.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I don't know. I just shoehorn in steps all day long. Today I'm at my rental cabin in the middle of nowhere busily decorating it for xmas guests. Two leisurely walking breaks around our community roads will get me about 16000 steps. Whenever I have a little time I head for the door! Keeps me sane
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why can't you do 3000 steps? It's not that many steps or about 20 minutes walking.
    I own a convenience store where I stand at the cash register from noon to 6 p.m I can't walk away from there to take any steps as customers come in n leave constantly. Then 40 minutes ride back home. I come home and cook dinner, load the dishwasher, make kids do homework and clean up the house. I'm so tired by the end of the day that there is no energy left in me to go take the extra very much needed steps....and my schedule before noon is pretty much same like afternoon. Wake up, breakfast, send kids to school etc.
    That's why want to know how people manage their schedules for extra walking.....
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I have tendinitis in my right foot. So standing the whole day makes it hurt and due to the pain I feel like I need to rest it hence I don't go for walks. But I also understand that losing weight will take off the pressure from my hurting foot and not hurt as much.
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Yeah. I don't know. I just shoehorn in steps all day long. Today I'm at my rental cabin in the middle of nowhere busily decorating it for xmas guests. Two leisurely walking breaks around our community roads will get me about 16000 steps. Whenever I have a little time I head for the door! Keeps me sane
    Wow! I'd love to take at least half the steps you take
  • 1meh
    1meh Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Sup - So how many did you take? Add 100 to that and vow to do that tomorrow. How about squats behind the cash register, ppl may look at you funny, but it is exercise! Jog in place? Try to find movement where you can. BUT ALSO, when you are exhausted, tired, with no energy and just can't find the motivation to walk anywhere, go anyway. Just walk around your house/apartment once. Just once. Come on, you can do, I have faith! Then maybe tomorrow you will go twice, and before you know it, you'll have more energy. I promise! So right now (OK, since I'm in Alaska, maybe it's too late riiight now, but if it's not...) go outside and walk around your house, or your block. Take even ten steps, because that is 10 steps in the right direction. You can do it!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I find dancing around like a fool to my iPod works nicely. To add some steps quickly.
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    1meh wrote: »
    Sup - So how many did you take? Add 100 to that and vow to do that tomorrow. How about squats behind the cash register, ppl may look at you funny, but it is exercise! Jog in place? Try to find movement where you can. BUT ALSO, when you are exhausted, tired, with no energy and just can't find the motivation to walk anywhere, go anyway. Just walk around your house/apartment once. Just once. Come on, you can do, I have faith! Then maybe tomorrow you will go twice, and before you know it, you'll have more energy. I promise! So right now (OK, since I'm in Alaska, maybe it's too late riiight now, but if it's not...) go outside and walk around your house, or your block. Take even ten steps, because that is 10 steps in the right direction. You can do it!
    Thanks for the motivation! I'm gonna take your advice and just DO IT!
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I find dancing around like a fool to my iPod works nicely. To add some steps quickly.
    Sounds like fun, will try that!

• sobiakhatoon
    Options
    1meh wrote: »
    Alaska. ......I'm in Illinois. Do you go out for walks? If yes, I'd like to know how do you pick up the courage to do so.....
  • 1meh
    1meh Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I don't walk outside all that much because of the cold. I walk around and around and around a gym. Talk about ppl looking at you funny, but they know me now. It's funny too, cause last week I just wasn't feeling well, and sorta used that as an excuse, but when I went back they said they missed me. I do walk places (like the store or to the mall) in the cold, and I just wear layers...lots and lots of layers. And on the weekends I walk around the mall, good for weight loss, and sometimes it makes my wallet lighter too! :blush:
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    I'm planning on going to the mall for the same purpose....only when stores are closed! LOL!
    Will have my 3 years old daughter with me in her stroller. I'll definitely go this weekend.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Here's a GREAT article:

http://news.yahoo.com/simple-way-reach-10-000-steps-day-160038649.html

Week One:
    Buy a pedometer (or Samsung Galaxy s5 phone!). Measure your typical steps, don't change your normal routine. Total your steps for the week, divide by 7. This will be your average steps/day & will be your baseline.

Week Two:
    Increase your steps by 20 percent during week 2. the every week after... keep adding a bit more.
    come on, you can do it !

Here's 20 small ways to increase your steps. EVERY step counts, and they add up fast :)

Good luck ~

-- Park your car away from the entrance when shopping, running errands or going to dinner.

-- Take the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator whenever possible.

-- Go window shopping to get some extra steps.

-- Walk your kids to school or the bus stop rather than driving them.

-- Play tag, hopscotch or some other childhood game with your kids.

-- Skip the drive-thru at Starbucks and walk into the store to get your java.

-- March or pace during the commercial breaks when watching TV.

-- Instead of meeting a friend for lunch, plan an hour walk or hike during your break.

-- Skip the cart return area in the grocery store parking lot and walk the shopping cart back into the store.

-- Hold walking meetings at work whenever possible.

-- Instead of sitting, walk around while watching your child's sporting events.

-- Go for a walk with a friend instead of meeting for coffee.

-- Walk to a co-worker's office instead of emailing or calling.

-- Take your dog for a walk instead of letting him out in the yard.

-- Take a walk on your lunch break.

-- Wear a headset and pace during phone calls.

-- Wear comfortable shoes at work -- research shows you'll move more.

-- Go for an after-dinner stroll.

-- Take the baby or kids for a ride in the stroller or wagon.

-- March or pace while brushing your teeth.

any other ideas? please post / share :smile:
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    10 minutes walking = 1/2 mile = approx 2,000 steps.

at home, I set my timer for 10 minutes.

and just tell myself I have to constantly walk, while doing things that I normally do while I'm stationary.

such as while I'm brushing my teeth, checking emails, sorting thru snail-mail, watching videos on the computer, talking on the phone. doesn't matter what I do... I keep walking :)

10 minutes goes by fast enough, and I'm accomplishing something else at the same time.

win win situation :):)
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I just got a fitbit and I was shocked at how inactive I was. My goal at the moment is to just do a bit better each day than the day before because right now 10,000 steps is completely intimidating.

Great tips from the other posters!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I own a convenience store where I stand at the cash register from noon to 6 p.m I can't walk away from there to take any steps as customers come in n leave constantly. Then 40 minutes ride back home. I come home and cook dinner, load the dishwasher, make kids do homework and clean up the house. I'm so tired by the end of the day that there is no energy left in me to go take the extra very much needed steps....and my schedule before noon is pretty much same like afternoon. Wake up, breakfast, send kids to school etc.
    That's why want to know how people manage their schedules for extra walking.....

how do you get to work? If public transport, can you get off a stop earlier to walk the rest? What do you do between waking up and noon when you start work? what time do you send the kids off to school? Seems like there should be time to fit something in there. What about weekends? Maybe start going walking WITH the kids, getting them involved in outside activity.

I too struggle to get 3000 steps in an average workday, but I've started going to the gym first thing, and doing things in the evening like dancing. Aim for 3000 a day and then keep adding a target.
  • DesOdhi
    DesOdhi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't know your situation in particular, but I know that I've had days when I don't want to even leave my bed. But, every day is one step at a time. If I know I'm not feeling the gym one day. I'll take the long way to get to my job's door, or do some cleaning around the house, or get up & walk around during work hours. You'll be surprised how fast those steps add up. If you need support, I'm only 5 days into my journey but I'm willing to offer it.
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    Thanks alot everyone for taking out time to help me. Each of you sound sensible and right! I will try to squeeze the advices in my daily routine.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If you do something more vigorous than walking, then you are being more active in less time, too. Put on a 15-30 minute DVD at home that's full-body and more active. That should count for more than the number of steps you'd get in those same 15 minutes. It doesn't have to be steps (I find that walking takes more time than I like, too!).

I started sprinting HIIT-style with my dog when I walk her, for instance. We both love it! It doesn't take any longer than our usual walk. Ironically, my pedometer doesn't count it well, lol.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/ask-hg-q-and-a/show/housewalking-daily-steps

I love my Fitbit & Vivofit....been walking for over 2 yrs since got my first Flex.

One day, one pound, one step