can't even manage to take 3000 steps in a day

Options

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've worked 16 hours a day the last 5 days and hit 10k steps every day... I work in an office. I just... walk. I take the long way around, go for a wander when I get a break, walk to and from the train station, park further away...
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I average 3000 steps a day unless I do a cardio day or go to a big box store. I have a bad foot that's painful also so have had to cut back. My workouts are mostly weight based now. I can add steps, but my foot is sore the next day. So, OP, if your foot tendinitis is like that consider getting a stationary bike and use it watching TV. I'm considering doing that.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have all kinds of ways to get my steps high. At school I walk around the copier while my papers are coming out. I jog in place in the kitchen while the coffee is brewing. I park far away from wherever I need to go. I pace in the classroom. I always walk around my house when I'm on the phone.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why can't you do 3000 steps? It's not that many steps or about 20 minutes walking.
    I own a convenience store where I stand at the cash register from noon to 6 p.m I can't walk away from there to take any steps as customers come in n leave constantly. Then 40 minutes ride back home. I come home and cook dinner, load the dishwasher, make kids do homework and clean up the house. I'm so tired by the end of the day that there is no energy left in me to go take the extra very much needed steps....and my schedule before noon is pretty much same like afternoon. Wake up, breakfast, send kids to school etc.
    That's why want to know how people manage their schedules for extra walking.....

You can walk away if there isn't another customer in line, even if it's 2 or 3 steps away and then back again, basically pacing back and forth between customers. It's only a small change, but over time it will add up.
  • 178Goal
    178Goal Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Walk in front of your TV Set, it works, and it will add up!
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Put on music when doing your house work and dance around while you do it!! And don't be too hard on yourself you do a 40 min bike ride!! It's still exercise even if it isn't walking :) but I love having my fave tunes on to clean the house my kids are both fairly young and they love it cause mummy stops and has a dance with them!!
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water??? Frequent bathroom breaks will get you moving! ;)
  • losinglbsnow
    losinglbsnow Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's hard with a job that keeps you standing like that. Perhaps march in place or even go in tiny circles any moment you don't have customers? Steps add up quickly. When you get home maybe try just getting off the bus and walking up and down the driveway (or whatever) one time and then each day add a lap. Also waiting for buses you can walk about or march in place a bit perhaps? Good luck!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i pace around my work area. I work with a large robotic router. i cant leave the area while it is running to make sure it dosent go haywire. . .i manage about 15-18k steps in a full 10 hour work day mostly pacing the area while it does its thing.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Today I knew I wouldn't have time to go for my usual 1-mile walk, so I started my coffeemaker, and went out for a 1/4 mile walk. It took 6 minutes, and when I came back in my coffee was ready.

You didn't say how old your kids are but if they're old enough to be home alone for a few minutes you can do the same thing. If not, get everyone up and ready 10 minutes earlier, and you can all go outside for a few minutes before school. They can walk with you, or play in the yard while you pace, for example. I know it gives me a mental boost to get in a little exercise and fresh air in the morning, and I imagine it'll help get your kids alert and energized for their school work, too.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh and I don't walk I'm luck to get in 2000 steps a day due to not being able to walk distances from a foot issue (waiting for operation) this has been going on 2 years! But what I can do is short (I use iPhone app) 7 min plyometrics workout each day :) works well for me! Sworkit is the one I use!
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I average 3000 steps a day unless I do a cardio day or go to a big box store. I have a bad foot that's painful also so have had to cut back. My workouts are mostly weight based now. I can add steps, but my foot is sore the next day. So, OP, if your foot tendinitis is like that consider getting a stationary bike and use it watching TV. I'm considering doing that.
    Thanks for understanding my pain....my foot swells up like im pregnant lol!

• sobiakhatoon
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I actually have a hairline fracture in my right foot which is too small for a cast treatment. The podiatrist recommended supportive shoes and lose weight. That's what I've been doing. Thanks for your advice!

• sobiakhatoon
    Options
    taeliesyn wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why can't you do 3000 steps? It's not that many steps or about 20 minutes walking.
    I own a convenience store where I stand at the cash register from noon to 6 p.m I can't walk away from there to take any steps as customers come in n leave constantly. Then 40 minutes ride back home. I come home and cook dinner, load the dishwasher, make kids do homework and clean up the house. I'm so tired by the end of the day that there is no energy left in me to go take the extra very much needed steps....and my schedule before noon is pretty much same like afternoon. Wake up, breakfast, send kids to school etc.
    That's why want to know how people manage their schedules for extra walking.....

You can walk away if there isn't another customer in line, even if it's 2 or 3 steps away and then back again, basically pacing back and forth between customers. It's only a small change, but over time it will add up.
    That's exactly what I did today. And guess whattttt? I took all the awesome advice from you all and motivated myself. Took 10000 steps today! Huge accomplishment for me. Thanks to ALL of you!
    Im gonna take it easy tomorrow though. Will try to jit 5000 and gradually add steps everyda!

• sobiakhatoon
    Options
    Drink lots of water??? Frequent bathroom breaks will get you moving! ;)

Lol! Gud 1
  • CandFam
    CandFam Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    There is an exercise program you can find on Youtube with exercises for people with limited mobility, for any reason. Many of the exercises can be done in a chair, so if you get a stool to sit on behind the register, you can do many of these exercises. Building strength may be as important as walking, until your leg heels. The exercises use bands, or cans of soup, or milk jugs, things you should be able to find in the store. I think it is also important to acknowledge the emotions you must feel. You work hard at a tedious job all day, then come home and take care of your family. When do you have time to take care of yourself. Exercise may just feel like one more job you have to do. If you can reframe that thought process, and think of it as a way of taking care of you, then it may be easier to motivate yourself to find five or ten minutes several times per day to do some light exercise. Don't do anything that hurts you, but you may find you gradually get stronger and look forward to the "you" time.

Here is a link to the Home Exercises for Obese/limited mobility individuals. Some of these could be done at your register at work. This happens to be picturing an obese individual, but it is also designed for those with limited mobility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI0j8nLiZmE
  • sobiakhatoon
    Options
    There is an exercise program you can find on Youtube with exercises for people with limited mobility, for any reason. Many of the exercises can be done in a chair, so if you get a stool to sit on behind the register, you can do many of these exercises. Building strength may be as important as walking, until your leg heels. The exercises use bands, or cans of soup, or milk jugs, things you should be able to find in the store.
    Will look into that! Thanks for the info and ypur precious time.

• ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    How do you guys do it... please share tips on time management if you are successful with that to take steps as much as 5k or above
    Thanks

1. I take the bus to/from work. This forces me to walk to/from the bus stop.
    2. I take a lunch every day. I'm fortunate that many of the buildings downtown are linked by "skyways." I have a circuit worked out that takes just about an hour.
    3. If I'm short on steps I head to the gym and make them up on the treadmill.
    4. Sometimes I'll go to Walmart or Target and just walk around.

• sobiakhatoon
    Options
    Thanks guys! Ive incorporated your advice and taking 10k steps everyday since then. Thanks for the motivation and support. Means a lot to me!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Awesome sauce!!