bad eating with decent results?

Options

Replies

• sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    BEFORE YOU START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:explode:
    I use to be a big *kitten* fat slobby pig, who ate nothing but fatty food and more fatty food....for example:
    MT: Chips and coke
    LT: hotdog and coke
    AT:chips and coke
    LAT: Chips and coke
    T: two sausages and either chips, bake potatos or mashed......followed by bread.....
    I am a fussy eater so I am a creature of habbit, no veg, no fruit, no salad, no real meats.......NOTHING lol and yes ill have severe health issues and blah blah, it is my body and i try new foods, i dont like it i wont eat it, simple....if i had a wish it would to have tastse buds that eat anything.........anyways

I want to lose 10 kilos by December anyone want to prove 100,000 people wrong that people like me can lose weight?

I cut out all that food and had a sandwich and some milk instead of all the meals except tea, tea remained the same. I then began walking 30 minutes a day x 5 a week. I lost about 9 kilos, i then portioned my food, halved it all, within six months i lost 21 kilos all up. I started at 95 kilos. I got down to 74 kilos.
    I then lost tafe my go to place , so stopped walking and went back up to 85 kilos, i have been struggling for the last 2.5 years to get back to what i was, i began gyming, no results, running, no results, i cant stick to a program if i cant see results...i feel i waste my time. I stuck to a program for 5 weeks michelle bridges crunch time book and i stopped, i felt fitter but it wasnt changing my body....Going back to portioning is my first goal, however.....
    My question is is there a sole on this program that doesnt eat great and works hard for results?
    Since i started my new job, i havnt been to the gym or done a dvd, I own turbo fire, p90x, 30 day shred, slim in 30, i get to 4 days in anything then i get bored, i want to stick to something and accountability groups dont work...I aqua aerobics every monday night........i work full time so finding time is hard atm.
    I am hoping for friends in similar situations?
    :flowerforyou:
    and please dont hate me nutritional lovers, i try, i try and i dont like......i never not try....

Wow, I'm glad I'm not you!

I'm not a strict nutritional person and don't "eat clean" all the time. I eat unhealthy stuff sometimes. But I strive for a healthy balance.

Eventually your body is going to crash and burn if you keep treating it like crap.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am surprised how nasty people are being. Must have a good view from that high horse.

OP: It certainly is possible. It sounds like you are already eating better than you were (coke and chips to sandwiches and milk yay!) And you WILL be more healthy if you get down in the healthy weight range. So i think you are doing good! Better than you would have if you just didn't bother right?

I don't eat clean all the time (but I do love whole foods), didn't do cardio when I was losing (though i do now), and I am in great shape and very healthy. Its a progress. You are already making steps toward it. Maybe things will just improve!

So yes you will be able to lose if you are consistent. You will become more healthy in the progress. Everyone has room for improvement.

If you are interested I do have a ton of simple recipes that are delicious if you are looking to try new whole foods :)

Good luck!

ETA: I pretty much am living off ramen, some junk, and what whole foods I can afford at the moment. Works just fine for me.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    How is her body going to crash and burn? I don't think it is nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be.
  • nabak147112
    nabak147112 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i dont eat anything different than i use to and have lost 14.8 lbs so far( and not to mention 45 lbs LESS than what i was 5 years ago) i have tried veggies and i just cant..i dont mind fruit so i eat fruit but i eat the same i just eat LESS and excercise
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am a VERY picky eater. Two years ago I would have said I was borderline on selective eating disorder. I still don't eat great and I have lost weight eating less and exercising. I do eat fresh meat and fruit though. If you friend me and look at my diary it's probably 50% fresh food and 50% processed. You can absolutely lose weight this way, but you'll have to monitor calorie intake your whole life, because calories on the crap food add up faster than others. I lost 28lbs last year, kept it off for 4 months and then started gaining again, and now I'm back.

Like you I do not like vegetables. Corn, peas, and edamame is about it. Used to have a literal gag reflex when trying to eat other vegetables. What I did to get over that was once a week I would make a new vegetable, take a bite, chew it, and then spit it out. This allowed me to adjust to the different textures without associating them with the gag reflex. Now when I'm out and other people serve vegetables my rule is I have to eat 2 bites. I don't enjoy them, but I feel like I'm making progress. And I did switch out 95% of my pop for water.
  • bookfaery
    bookfaery Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You don't need a lecture, because that's not going to change what you are doing. But, what you are doing now isn't working, right? You can't get in the same amount of exercise as before when you dropped all that weight (nice job there!), so that seems to be one of the missing factors. Can you fit in even 20 minutes on lunch at work? Just a suggestion!

The folks here are offering you a ton of good advice, truly. Now, something my weight loss doc tells me, and a therapist once told me, is take what you need, and leave the rest. So, take what might work for you, and don't worry about the rest. Simple.

I will tell you this. I pretty much survived on vending machine food and takeout and sugar for ... six months? It was ugly. I gained a ton of weight. When I went back to my weight loss doc, the first thing I did was cut out the sugar, and the starches. Just for a little while w/ the starches. I was addicted, literally. Once your body detoxes (yes, I know, people will say your body doesn't need to detox, it felt that way to me), you don't want the stuff anymore. It's easier to avoid. And other stuff tastes GOOD. Really good. It's like your palate has been cleared and everything tastes ... brighter. No, I'm not a freak. Just accept it and let's move on.

Cornflakes and milk. Are the cornflakes high in protein? How about the milk? Low fat? Can you go lower w/ the fat? Like, fat free? Can you get Greek yogurt where you are? If you can deal w/ the tartness and the texture, it's mega protein and tasty. Do you like soup? Sneaking veg is soup might work? Check out the recipe boards on here when you try a new fruit or veg or something. Maybe someone can help you with a way to prepare it that will make it taste good. Like, Brussels sprouts? Nasty, right? Not if they are roasted w/ a little olive oil and garlic. Amazing.

Okay. I'm done. Little changes in your diet. Lots of water. Baby steps. It's a battle and it sucks. But you'll get there.

Best wishes,
    Lisa
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Good job on trying to change. At least you are doing something while others just complain and do nothing. Cutting the calories will work.... until it won't work. Is it the best? Nope but I believe in small changes making a big difference.

Maybe you can change just one more thing to see if it can help? One vegetable or fruit that you don't hate? Maybe also try turkey jerky ? The sodium is insane but it is a good source of protein.

Good luck
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    mrsmustgetmuscles1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You've obviously done something to lose the 43lbs you have so that's good. To answer your topic question, I do eat "bad" with results but it's all about moderation...calories in and calories out. You can eat a lot more lower calorie food, or you can eat less higher calorie food, it's all about the numbers at the end of the day.
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    As far as protein and veggies...

Keep trying!! Roasted vegetables taste way better than steamed. Buy small amounts and google different recipes. Buy new veggies you've never tried. Buy 2 chicken breasts and try different recipes. Put a handful of spinach in a blender with your protein drink, add ice and blend.

Just keep trying! You are only 24, don't give up!
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Not going to bother reading all the responses but I'm sure you've gotten some mean or rude ones.

Can you lose weight eating unhealthy foods?

Yes... you can.

Should you? Probably not but if it's what you can do it's what you can do.

I'm basically the same way and rarely eat anything green but I do eat lean meats etc. Though a big portion of my diet is overly processed.

My husband eats absolutely NO veggies.... and has a very limited diet of frozen chicken tenders... oatmeal.... and whatever I happen to make for dinner. He's lost 120 lbs in just over a year. It's all about your deficit... if you have one you will lose weight. If your sodium and sugar intake is a bit higher than you will have those few extra lbs of bloat always around and the weight may come off slower but that's the price you pay for your diet.
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I think people are just trying to tell you that there's more to weight loss than a deficit. Yeah, you can lose a metric *kitten* tonne of weight eating only junk at a deficit.

But you'll feel healthier, look healthier and BE healthier if you eat a more balanced diet.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight. You can be perfectly healthy eating crap food. You will get exactly the body you want eating the way you do.

The above three are not true, but you don't seem to want truth. You want to continue what you're doing, despite it not working and want the best result possible. Sadly, that isn't going to happen.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can get good results even with a crap diet. Part of developing good eating habits are exchanging one good thing for one bad thing, like milk instead of coke. So you have mastered that. Another part is portion control. Another part is choosing foods that fit into a specific balance, like proportions of carbs to proteins to fats. Another part is finding foods that do more than add calories, have some long term health benefit. And so on.

You have taken steps in the right direction. There are more steps to take, but that's for you to decide which ones and when. At the end of the day, it's your weight loss journey and all that matters is that it works for you. What works for some, isn't what works for everyone. :happy:
    thankyou!
  • leslturn8
    Options
    Nothing Hard to get comes easy. You might wanna try to stick with any of those exercise program for a longer period of time if you want to get fit from them (I hate doing yoga and it bores me to death but once a week I do Yoga X for an hour and a half). As far as diet goes like everyone said you can eat bad but just do less of it, the weight will eventually come off just not as fast as eating healthier.
    thankyou!
  • leslturn8
    Options
    Hi I lost all my weight eating the crap I always had but just less of it and by walking. The weight came off fine but I started to get ill was dizzy, sick constantly tired ect. it got so bad I really had to re evaluate why i was doing this I mean what's the point being thin and feeling worse than I did when I was big.

So for the last few months I've been trying my best to eat healthier and only have the junk now and again (like I've had my first choccy bar for a month today and believe me it tasted so much better when uou don't have it every day. Plus when you eat fruit and veg you can have loads more to eat as they are so much lower in calories. I'm feeling so much better now and loving the new me.

So you can lose weight eating junk but I really wouldn't advise it.
    i dont intend to go out and have maccas 3 times a day or 2 times a week, or once a month, just the food i do eat is sandwichs, potato, sausage to sum it up.
  • leslturn8
    Options
    I'll never criticise someone who eats loads of crap (but oh so tasty) food. As someone who had a similar diet for years and never gained a lb from it, I should warn you, your body will start to pack in on you in the next ten or so years and then you'll find it bloody impossible to lose weight when it goes on like never before - oh and you'll likely be sick all the time.

I have a whole host of health problems that affect my metabolism and I'm sad to have to admit that my diet growing up and into adulthood is likely to be a huge causative factor. I was never above a size UK12 until I had a child 3 years ago and the shock of pregnancy on a malnourished (but not skinny) body really took its toll. I'm now an 18-20 in UK clothing and I now suffer loads of nutritional deficiencies (believe me they are no fun and now unrelated to dietary intake) and a dodgy gut. Oh and virtually no long term weightloss - even on a medically supervised diet. I have to take 10 pills daily just to get by, not counting the daily vitamin supplements I need to take too.

I started taking veg hidden in things like soup, if you can do the same, I'd suggest trying that.

I had reservations about replying to this as I know how people can leap on you and give you hell for not singing the party song on mfp. You need to do what works for you but from someone who is now suffering as a result of a tasty but crap diet, please try to add some good stuff in. Visiting hospitals every week for different doctors/departments/tests is no fun (and plays havoc with employers). Getting lectures every time I visit them, about my *past* diet is also humiliating and patronising.

I may have been slimmer but I certainly wasnt healthier.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)
    thankyou! I had calliflour mashed into my potato and a spoon ful of carrots, baby steps, thankyou again!
  • leslturn8
    Options
    [
    Did I sound nasty to you? This was not my intent. Apologies, if it is the case.
    Anyway, I can see that you are serious about your intent and wish you luck.

Read the threads here about exercise and weight loss - lots of good info there.

(Btw - I am not a nutrition nut and eat crap all the time - just not every day and I try to watch it and avoid a lot of things)
    Alot of people who have put their 2 cents in have had an edge, all feedback is taken into account, but its like people dont think i spend hours on here reading....i do, when its late and i cant workout.
  • leslturn8
    Options
    Ok firstly I am not here to judge and so I wont. All I am going to say is that this site is for those of us who want to get fit and healthy first and lose weight second. I personally need to do both and so I read a lot of these posts mainly for inspiration and information to help my journey. It sounds like you do not want advice or friendly criticism, just people to support your eating habits. But the majority of the members here wont support them because they are kinda counterproductive and the opposite of what this site stands for. Not eating vegetables or fruits is unhealthy and I appreciate that you have tried. I have not see one post that says that you are lazy. If anything I am far less fit than you it seems. But it also seems that you are on a defensive, like you know that you are doing wrong but don't want to admit it. I personally can see that you have tried and so you really do not need to get defensive or prove yourself to anyone here. There is a support network if you are willing to listen to advice and cheer people on for doing well, (not for being the same as you.) A lot of these posts that you have criticised have made some negative comments about your lifestyle, but they have also offered you helpful advice in which you have seemed to ignored. Instead of being so defensive why not read the comments that are offering you help and advice, those words of understanding?

Now for my advice (if you wish to listen) I do think you should keep trying to eat healthier food and perhaps try taking some multivitamins that will give you the vitamins and minerals that your body is lacking through your diet. I do think the suggestion to see a Psychiatrist may be a good one because there could be an underlying reason why you cannot eat fruit or vegetables and I wish you all the luck with your journey. x
    Firstly.......Due to my eating habbits, i have hidden my diet to save myself from repetitive bi...tching, i have heard it all before, its not new to me, it makes me sad that everyone else is able to eat foods i can only taste. I am taking the advice, how is it i reply saying the things people miss understand...why does that make me sound like im not taking on their feedback? I do need to prove myself to everyone, everyone that has had a negative dig at me i feel i have to prove, i may have health issues and its my fault...my taste buds, i am trying food, no one can doubt that.
    I brought centrum vits and mins from a-z. I had a spoon of carrot and i hid Cauliflower in my mashed tonight. I am not talking to someone about **** that has happened in my life "hey my dads a pedo thats why i dont eat vegies" LIKE SERIOUSLY no. Besides who is to say i just dont eat because i dont, im not paying someone to tell me im a fridget eater.
  • leslturn8
    Options
    It *can* be done... but if you stick around here long enough you WILL start eating better. I was pretty much in the same spot as you, and I too cannot STAND the taste of most vegetables (they all seem to taste like dirt to me). All I did when I started was to just eat less of the things I was eating before, and got off my *kitten* and MOVED. I did cut Coke out of my life - not entirely, mind you. I may have a sip or two of Coke Zero once every few weeks... but just enough to remind me that I really don't like it any more! :laugh:

But coming to this site every day HAS changed my eating habits a bit. I still eat pizza every week, have an occasional cheeseburger, and enjoy my sweets (mostly homemade, because I can control what goes into them). However, I also have learned to look for foods that give me more nutrition for my calories - more "bang for the buck" as the phrase goes. I've learned that I actually PREFER having an apple for a morning snack instead of cookies, and that afternoon cup of Greek yogurt is far more tasty than a bag of chips and keeps me full until dinner.

The keys here are MODERATION and PATIENCE. A lot of people on this site would have you believe that their way of eating is the only one true way, and you're a blasphemer if you think otherwise (yeah, it's a bit like a religion to some people). YOU need to find a long-term solution that will work for YOU, and the only way you can do that is to work with your taste buds to find things that you like that are better for you. Dropping all the foods you love at once is nothing but a recipe for disaster, so don't set yourself up for failure. Do some nutritional research. Set yourself a goal to try something new each week, and work it into your diet. Make sure that you are still hitting your macros. Before you know it, you'll be losing the weight you want, and getting healthier in the process.

"It's not a diet - it's a lifestyle change?" Trite, but true.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
    thankyou! 2nd person who hasnt insulted me! I will try something new every week :happy:
  • leslturn8
    Options
    Its the taste....the fact my mum use to force feed me and make me sit up til 1am until i ate my tea...which i never did hasnt scarred me, i try food, if i like hey bonus.

That says a lot right there. Until you've had to sit at a table for several hours with someone keeping you there until you eat whatever it is, you can't understand what deeply rooted aversion to that food will make. My ex-BIL was like that; keeping his kids at the table until they ate their plate clean - yes, even keeping them from sleeping. I had my parents hold me down and pry my mouth open to get me to eat one thing. When I kept puking on my dad's shoes, they took the hint and never tried to make me eat/drink anything I didn't want.

Yes, you can eat "bad" foods and lose weight. Measure.weight your portions and watch the sodium.

All I can suggest is to give workouts more than 4 days. I find my XBX program boring, but I do it.
    Thankyou, see didnt have to go pay anyone to telll me lol
    I feel that if i had someone doing the workout at the same time (not with me) id feel competitive enough to hold in and do it!