bad eating with decent results?

Options

Replies

• IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It *can* be done... but if you stick around here long enough you WILL start eating better. I was pretty much in the same spot as you, and I too cannot STAND the taste of most vegetables (they all seem to taste like dirt to me). All I did when I started was to just eat less of the things I was eating before, and got off my *kitten* and MOVED. I did cut Coke out of my life - not entirely, mind you. I may have a sip or two of Coke Zero once every few weeks... but just enough to remind me that I really don't like it any more! :laugh:

But coming to this site every day HAS changed my eating habits a bit. I still eat pizza every week, have an occasional cheeseburger, and enjoy my sweets (mostly homemade, because I can control what goes into them). However, I also have learned to look for foods that give me more nutrition for my calories - more "bang for the buck" as the phrase goes. I've learned that I actually PREFER having an apple for a morning snack instead of cookies, and that afternoon cup of Greek yogurt is far more tasty than a bag of chips and keeps me full until dinner.

The keys here are MODERATION and PATIENCE. A lot of people on this site would have you believe that their way of eating is the only one true way, and you're a blasphemer if you think otherwise (yeah, it's a bit like a religion to some people). YOU need to find a long-term solution that will work for YOU, and the only way you can do that is to work with your taste buds to find things that you like that are better for you. Dropping all the foods you love at once is nothing but a recipe for disaster, so don't set yourself up for failure. Do some nutritional research. Set yourself a goal to try something new each week, and work it into your diet. Make sure that you are still hitting your macros. Before you know it, you'll be losing the weight you want, and getting healthier in the process.

"It's not a diet - it's a lifestyle change?" Trite, but true.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Its the taste....the fact my mum use to force feed me and make me sit up til 1am until i ate my tea...which i never did hasnt scarred me, i try food, if i like hey bonus.

That says a lot right there. Until you've had to sit at a table for several hours with someone keeping you there until you eat whatever it is, you can't understand what deeply rooted aversion to that food will make. My ex-BIL was like that; keeping his kids at the table until they ate their plate clean - yes, even keeping them from sleeping. I had my parents hold me down and pry my mouth open to get me to eat one thing. When I kept puking on my dad's shoes, they took the hint and never tried to make me eat/drink anything I didn't want.

Yes, you can eat "bad" foods and lose weight. Measure.weight your portions and watch the sodium.

All I can suggest is to give workouts more than 4 days. I find my XBX program boring, but I do it.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    If you don't want feedback, don't post things on a PUBLIC forum.
  • chiquitatwist
    chiquitatwist Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low residue diet because of a medical condition which means that I have to eat very low fiber, cannot have most fresh fruits and veggies, and nothing whole grain. I have to count my calories VERY carefully and I work my *kitten* off at least five days a week, but I've lost 18 pounds so far.
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    You're going to run nutritional deficits in the long term. Weak bones, hair loss, bad skin. You can be skinny and eat lacking foods, but you cannot be healthy long term with a diet like you've described. I'm glad you lost weight, now I hope you slowly shift your priority to having a healthy body. When you're older you're going to wish you'd gotten help getting over your food issues.
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    I don't eat that well. I do eat fruit and veggies, and salad pretty much everyday, but I always have a "normal" dinner, and treat myself to snacks, although they are slightly better than what I was eating before. Baked crisps instead of full fat, low fat yoghurts and sweet treats low in calories. I usually eat back about half my exercise calories, cos I'm usually hungry after a good workout. It's worked for me so far.

I hope you can find some foods that are healthier and you really enjoy. And try to not give up on the exercise, it will help shape your body to what you want to look like, and that feels great!! Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Ok firstly I am not here to judge and so I wont. All I am going to say is that this site is for those of us who want to get fit and healthy first and lose weight second. I personally need to do both and so I read a lot of these posts mainly for inspiration and information to help my journey. It sounds like you do not want advice or friendly criticism, just people to support your eating habits. But the majority of the members here wont support them because they are kinda counterproductive and the opposite of what this site stands for. Not eating vegetables or fruits is unhealthy and I appreciate that you have tried. I have not see one post that says that you are lazy. If anything I am far less fit than you it seems. But it also seems that you are on a defensive, like you know that you are doing wrong but don't want to admit it. I personally can see that you have tried and so you really do not need to get defensive or prove yourself to anyone here. There is a support network if you are willing to listen to advice and cheer people on for doing well, (not for being the same as you.) A lot of these posts that you have criticised have made some negative comments about your lifestyle, but they have also offered you helpful advice in which you have seemed to ignored. Instead of being so defensive why not read the comments that are offering you help and advice, those words of understanding?

Now for my advice (if you wish to listen) I do think you should keep trying to eat healthier food and perhaps try taking some multivitamins that will give you the vitamins and minerals that your body is lacking through your diet. I do think the suggestion to see a Psychiatrist may be a good one because there could be an underlying reason why you cannot eat fruit or vegetables and I wish you all the luck with your journey. x

This was very well put.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

My question is is there a sole on this program that doesnt eat great and works hard for results?

As long as you can create a sustainable energy deficit you will make progress and get results.

You may get better results by consuming a nutrient sufficient diet, but even a diet of junk food, in the proper amounts, will cause weight loss.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So your on a weight loss forum, with the majority of people on here trying to either cut down on or give up processed junk food, and you want to find people who will support your mission to loose weight whilst still eating crap? You may struggle there...I'm not entirely sure I understand what you are looking for, or what your goals are either? Either way I wish you look with your endeavors x
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I am a fussy eater so I am a creature of habbit, no veg, no fruit, no salad, no real meats.......NOTHING lol

Wow.

lol
  • cjssydney
    Options
    Wasn't mean to upset you, but your comments just seem so out of touch with why you're on here. Are you on here to lose weight, regardless of the effect that it will have on you and your body? If yes then stop reading here because it seems like you're just looking for someone to approve of a poor diet and I don't think you'll find so much support for that. However if you are interested in your WHOLE body, not just what the scales say then:
    Firstly - you're not going to FEEL any better just because you've eaten some vitamins. You can't FEEL what's going on inside your body - it just all works better when the right building block go in (can you feel fat being deposited/used up? No, of course not so why vitamins?) Vitamins and minerals protect your body over years, preventing things like cancer and other nasty diseases that creep up over time. Long term protection.
    Secondly, you are never going to achieve easy weight loss if you eat so many carbs. Your body NEVER has to rely on your fat reserves because there's ALWAYS a ready supply of glucose to use as fuel. Reduce the carbs (bread, potatoes, milk etc) to some extent and your body will burn more fat.
    Thirdly (and this isn't mean to insult or similar) I think you have an issue with food that needs addressing - you seem to have a very unhealthy relationship with food. Very few people I know honestly 'love' eating vegetables and given the choice would probably avoid (incl. me). BUT you need to see them as a means to an end. You want to lose weight? Then eat the RIGHT foods, not the ones that you're body is craving thanks to the glucose peaks and troughs that you're creating with the carbs.
    Finally, someone once said to me (and it stuck) "You need to fall out of love with food and just use it as the tool that it's designed for" i.e. stop all the calorie counting and constantly thinking about food 24/7. It's that that's the killer and that makes you crave food. Get it into your head that it's just there to do a job, stop spending all day planning and tracking what you fancy for dinner. Stop thinking about it! Use it as a means to survive. 3 meals only (no snacks during the day - food is doing a job and you only need it 3 times per day no matter what you think you'd prefer. If you get hungry then eat more filling foods e.g. fish, meat etc during meals), fewer carbs, more fruit/veg, keep up your exercise.
  • cjssydney
    Options
    Just for you haters ill shred the 10-15 kilos until im classified as healthy on the BMI........BY MY SELF eating the food i eat.....
    support network my *kitten*

And if you think that just achieving a BMI of 18-25 means that you're then 'healthy' then I'm afraid that's another lesson for another day....

It is, however, a good start and I hope you achieve this particular goal.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There is a story about the person who eats non-healthy foods, joined a gym and exercises there twice a week.

In her post at the Houston Chronicle website she reported that after 8 months she lost one pound. Here is the link:

http://blog.chron.com/goodmombadmom/2011/03/i-lost-weight-and-you-can-too/#comments
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I almost NEVER exercise. I'll walk sometimes with friends, but all the weight I have lost has been without exercise. I don't eat healthy by any means, but my portions keep me at or under my cals. I don't eat fast food much, but I rarely ever eat fruit or veggies.
    So you don't necessarily have to eat healthy to loose weight.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I've done.
    I'm a picky eater. No salads, no carrots, no veggies except canned corn. No fruits except fruit juice

I started off here with foods I like, which INCLUDED Mcdonalds and wendys and junk food and pop.
    Then little by little, I subconsciously started to change. More water less junk.
    I had 2 salads in two days.

Normally I wouldn't eat a half a salad in a year.

The important thing is that you start seeing what you're eating, once you cut out the junk, the healthy food does taste better.Except broccoli.
    I will probably never eat broccoli

I also never exercised at first either.
    Now I still don't exercise as much as I should or eat 100% correct... there's cake calling for me in the kitchen right now actually >.> But I haven't touched it yet. And that's the main thing. You learn about being conscious about these desicions
  • Avistew
    Avistew Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It really depends if your goal is to lose weight or to get healthy.

If it's to lose weight, then yes, eating little will do that, no matter what you eat.
    If it's to get healthy, however... You can be thin and unhealthy. You can be thin and at risk for most of the things people say obese people are at risk for (heart problems, diabetes, etc). Because these aren't caused by weight, they're caused by eating too much bad food. Not a lot of people get obese by eating healthy food, because you'd need to eat truckloads of it.

I know people who eat terribly and think that they're fine because they eat little. Then they get upset when the doctor tells them their cholesterol levels are off the charts, or that they're going to have to start taking meds for all of their health issues.

Eating unhealthy food every so often is fine, everyone should probably do it a little to treat themselves. But if you don't eat any healthy food at all, you'll never be a healthy person, no matter how little you weigh or what range your BMI is in.

As for working out vs food, it's usually easier to eat 500 calories less than to work off 500 calories, which is why you can make much more progress on diet than solely with exercise. People usually say 80-90% of weight loss is diet. You can't outrun your stomach. Exercise is good for your health, though, although not enough to negate the issues caused by a bad diet.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I lost my first hundred pounds or so just swapping out the soda for water, cutting back on the chips and candy, and walking every day. I guess my situation's a little different; I love to cook, I enjoy real food, I'll try anything once, and I am not very picky about eating things I don't necessarily like if I know they're nourishing.

If you burn off more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. It's simple math. The problem with eating unhealthy food is that it's loaded with unnecessary calories and very unlikely to satisfy you - this will make it very difficult to reduce your calorie count and still feel satisfied.

http://toobbox.com/blog/eat-mcdonalds-for-30-days-and-get-ripped/
    ^This sort of proves you can eat whatever you want and be fit if you manage your calories and exercise well. There is no way around burning more calories than you consume, but it's really the only rule you have to abide by.

It goes without saying, though, that 1800 calories of wholesome food is far more satisfying than 1800 calories of grease and starch.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    For exercise I walk a little each day and do some yoga. Eating wise, I focus on better, not perfect. Having been morbidly obese fairly recently, I don't find the prospect of being skinny fat nearly as terrifying as most of MFP. It's better than being fat-fat. I'm not going to give up on my weight loss goals just because I can't commit to eating clean, lifting weights, and doing heavy cardio. There's no room for all or nothing in my world.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    among the many reasons that I try to eat healthier foods, is that a healthy balanced meal actually satisfies me for longer, so I am less likely to overeat. If I had chips and soda, I'd be wanting more chips and soda, or some other snack, soon, because I didn't get the nutrients I needed. If I eat the same number of calories, but I make sure to get some protein and healthy fats, I can go hours before being hungry, or even having the munchies.

I also agree with the person who said once you start to reduce the processed sugars and high sodium foods, natural foods (like fruits and veggies) start to taste better. I've always been a fan of fruits and veggies (thanks mom!) but now, I find them to be even more delicious. Maybe you can find a way to prepare them, at first, that satisfies your "junk food" cravings.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    As long as you're on a calorie deficit, it is possible to lose weight, even if you say... ate nothing but Twinkies. That doesn't make it good for you, necessarily.

The "healthy foods" aspect of it is for feeling better, having more energy, being able to eat larger portions (veggies are extremely low calorie). The more I forced myself to eat healthy foods, the more my body caught on "Hey this makes me feel amazing!" and my taste buds adjusted to actually like them.