Starting back ..seems like it gets harder when you get older.

Options
I'm impatient with my results

Replies

• LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I lost 65 and gained back 20. Now I'm starting over to lose the 20 I gained and 10 extra...good luck!
  • bonnieefuentes
    bonnieefuentes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    You don't say how old you are, but I was past 50 when I started on MFP at my all-time-high weight. This was the easiest, most effective thing I've ever done, weight-loss wise. About three and a half months of pretty consistent weight loss, with no frustration over the occasional slower-loss or no-loss week, because I could where I was calorie-wise, and knew it was just hormone-related water retention. And I've maintained for two solid years now, using the same calorie-counting and -logging techniques, which is much longer than I've maintained any previous loss. Calorie-counting was much harder before the Internet and apps. This can work for you, if you're willing to be consistent and accurate with your logging.
  • bonnieefuentes
    bonnieefuentes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 32 ... I know I'm not old. But I do feel the older I get the harder it is for me to motivate and stay consistent . I like the fact I can count my calories .. it's a big bonus! It's been a week.. And I'm on a strike not to weigh myself. Thank you for the feedback
  • bacs
    bacs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It does feel a little harder but I'm 45, short and sedentary. It doesn't give me a lot of room for mistakes with my calories. I've accepted my loss is going to be slow.
  • RainyDayRider
    RainyDayRider Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya... Just trying to get started back with this after a three year absence!
  • silversue772
    silversue772 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you Bonnie for posting this query.

Thank you Lynn for your encouraging response!

I too am over 50 and hoping that the logging - the good, the bad and the ugly - will really help me to see my triggers (whether it be lack of sleep, vitamin deficiency, hormones) so that I can avoid the pitfalls vs diving into the sinking sand head first. And I find that its encouraging to have MFP tell me that I must eat more... that could have been my problem too... I have always been on a diet... all my life... since a girl of 15! Time to stop the madness. Will try to do my very best and thank God and make peace with the rest!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    When I found myself becoming impatient, I would remind myself that time would pass at exactly the same speed regardless of whether I am actively trying to lose weight or eating whatever I want. Hang in there - the end result is so worth it :)
  • claszclown
    claszclown Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Day 2: Already looking for changes. Yep impatient
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You don't say how old you are, but I was past 50 when I started on MFP at my all-time-high weight. This was the easiest, most effective thing I've ever done, weight-loss wise. About three and a half months of pretty consistent weight loss, with no frustration over the occasional slower-loss or no-loss week, because I could where I was calorie-wise, and knew it was just hormone-related water retention. And I've maintained for two solid years now, using the same calorie-counting and -logging techniques, which is much longer than I've maintained any previous loss. Calorie-counting was much harder before the Internet and apps. This can work for you, if you're willing to be consistent and accurate with your logging.

+1 to this. This is also the first time I've successfully kept any weight loss off and I'm 47. The only difference for me is that when I was younger I had a lot more free time to go the gym and also tailor my diet for my own needs and preferences. With a family it's a little tougher, but not impossible because I did not start off losing by exercising two hours a day or eating like a bird. Every change I've made fits my life as it is so I think that's why I haven't put any of it back on or had too much trouble logging and counting.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    bacs wrote: »
    It does feel a little harder but I'm 45, short and sedentary. It doesn't give me a lot of room for mistakes with my calories. I've accepted my loss is going to be slow.

Do you have a medical condition that causes you to be sedentary? Even if you have an office job you can move around outside work.
  • bdfarrall
    bdfarrall Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Between commuting to work and having a desk job, I sit a lot. I try to walk to the restroom that's the furthest from my desk. I walk at lunch time and sometimes just take a break and walk around. My muscles and bones feel stiff all the time. I'm 49 and it just seems to be outright difficult trying to get back in shape!!!!! The weight is coming off slowly.
  • jaycolson
    jaycolson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Tidbit that has been working for me since February. I changed my habits, and workout in the AM, EVERY morning. I've always been a night owl, and could never even IMAGINE getting up at 5:30 in the morning to work out. Especially as I've gotten older (and creakier). I very rarely would follow my 'after work' workout plan, due to the amount of activities (kids and work related) that would consume my evenings. NOTHING stops me from working out in the morning, there are no excuses. Highly recommend going to a social/class oriented workout session every am, it's EXTREMELY helpful with staying fit and watching the fat (slowly) melt away. I've decided that it's not temporarily either; this is going to be a lifelong change, I don't think there is really any other answer but to stay active and eat a bit healthier (thanks myfitnesspal for helping with that!).

Cheers!
    Jay
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    OP you are 32, when did 32 become old? I got in the best shape of my life at 33, and didn't have to work as hard as I did in my younger days. I chose to workout smarter, not harder. (choosing the right program and giving yourself adequate rest)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean (about the harder part, not the old part. hahah I'm turning 31 tomorrow, and I'm enjoying my 30's!)

I lost just about 70lbs. Then gained 30 over the course of a year. Now I'm struggling to get back into the grind. It's tough!!
  • bacs
    bacs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    bacs wrote: »

Do you have a medical condition that causes you to be sedentary? Even if you have an office job you can move around outside work.

At the moment I'm resting a foot injury. Once i'm back to normal I will start C25K again. Without exercise my TDEE is only about 1460 cal a day.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh yes,,, after 40..... but I am now in the best shape of my life,,,never felt better, and it feels great to burn 1000 calories a day! LOVING LIFE!
  • Endless_Journey
    Endless_Journey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am 55 and so far have survived a cancer scare and lost 110lbs so far. Guess life is not a rehearsal, treat each day as if it's your first. Get out there and kick *kitten*, but just enjoy life
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't think age has anything to do with it

I think it gets harder when you've done it all before and fallen off the wagon

That's why I was always successful at losing first time following specific programmes like weightwatchers, skimmers world, harcombe, Atkins etc ...but I'd fall off the wagon and put on weight and just not be as successful next time round cos I started off employing the tricks I learned

This time I threw them all out ..went CICO and moved more and really focused on maintenance eg no my diet is finished just this way of living is continuing

Because without focus I will quite simply get fat and unfit again

Maintenance takes more than losing ...no scale based rewards any more
  • klsheeley
    klsheeley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have lost 112lbs.....gained back 35lbs!! It does come back quicker than taking it off. Joined TOPS and using this app consistantly. This time I'm taking it off and KEEPING it off!!! Please feel free to add me. I also have a fitbit!