Least favourite exercise you do regularly?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Running.
    Always hated anything longer than 100m - when I was at school I regarded 400m as a distance event. :smile:

But I don't want to lose the ability to run (whether the mile to my station when I'm late for my train or for participating in sport) so I grit my teeth and do the odd 3k or 5k.
    Made myself run a 10k once (just for the challenge) and it was a totally miserable experience.

Apart from not being good at any distance above a flat out sprint I've always disliked it with a passion. Other forms of cardio are completely different for me and I love cycling for hours on end.
  • Steve_PB
    Steve_PB Posts: 8 Member
    Not got a least favorite excercise, but my least favorite body part to train is shoulders... its just that pain and burning that you cant escape from.
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Squats! I have a love-hate relationship with them. I love weight training though in general, but I suck at squats.

Also negative chins, because I suck at them too.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Running. It's horrible to me, it makes me curse and swear and wish I were dead, but paradoxically I absolutely love it for these exact reasons making it both my favorite and my least favorite.

Now if you mean an exercise I don't care for but have to do, strength training. I keep it to body weight only and spread the sessions throughout the week to make them as short as possible. If I had the choice I wouldn't ever do a single pushup or plank for the rest of my life, but I already tread the line at the absolute minimum protein for my weight so I need something to supplement my efforts to not lose half my muscle mass.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I don't do things I hate. Never understood this. There's so many options out there.

However, I suppose there are a few movements that pop up in the wods that I don't look forward to, especially if they are paired with other difficult moves. I'm not the biggest fan of snatches, front squats & thrusters, but that's only because of a wrist mobility issue that makes them more difficult for me.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    edited December 2015
    dips and chin ups/pull ups. I can only do a handful of dips and I can't do any chin ups or pull ups. For those ill use a band or have someone assist by holding my feet. And I'll focus on slowing down the negative. All of this just takes so much out of me. My energy level is through the roof normally but once I start doing dips and pull ups I'm done. But it is a necessary evil bc one of my main goals is to be strong enough to do these things.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Bench press. Frustrates me to no end.

So I started a program where I'm benching 5-6x a week. May as well face the demon right?

Second place goes to Lunges.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Anything but running. I love running and would just do it every single day but I don't want to neglect the rest of my body (not to mention it being hard on my knees) so I strength train one to two times a week.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Push-ups. I have above average strength for a woman my age but for some reason, no matter how many I do, push-ups suck! I swear I have something out of balance in my shoulders. I can bench press, pec dec, and all the other chest moves well but push-ups must be done on my knees and I see no improvement.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    rybo wrote: »
    I don't do things I hate. Never understood this. There's so many options out there.

If I only did exercise that I enjoyed I wouldn't do any exercise.

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I don't want muscle imbalances and that would happen if I skipped all shoulder exercises. Plus the more I do it the better I get at it. My shoulders would be way weaker if I didn't work them
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    I hate OHP. Apparently they hate me too because last night I dropped 60lbs on my face. :grimace:
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I hate OHP. Apparently they hate me too because last night I dropped 60lbs on my face. :grimace:

Ow! I've caught my chin going up and my forehead going down when I was first getting the motion down, but thankfully not my face.

Yet.

lol
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    All of it. I don't like to exercise, but I do like the time alone blaring my music in the basement, and feeling like I did something good for myself afterward.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Lunges. I used to like them. But I kinda dread them these days.
  • FireYankee
    FireYankee Posts: 45 Member
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    I am not a big fan of running but once I talk myself into it Um committed. In the gym I force myself to do leg curls. Still not really sure why.

Do you have the ability to do standing leg curls using a cable machine? I found this much more effective and smoother than seated or lying leg curls.
  • FireYankee
    arditarose wrote: »
    JenAndSome wrote: »
    I am not a big fan of running but once I talk myself into it Um committed. In the gym I force myself to do leg curls. Still not really sure why.

They stink, right? My program has me doing them twice per week but I only manage once and do Good Mornings the other time instead. I have no idea if that is a good substitute. I hope.

Good mornings are a great sub for leg curls as long as you are getting full ROM. Stiff legged dead lifts or RDLs would be another good substitute as well.

Also, if you have a plate loaded leg press, you can put your feet at the top of the platform and it will concentrate the motion on your Posterior Chain, hitting both hams and glutes rather effectively.
  • FireYankee
    My least favorite would be Decline EZ Bar Extensions/ Decline Skull-crushers. I know they are really effective for hitting all 3 heads of the tricep so I do them but with my tendinitis, it is very painful.
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Walking lunges with a plate (or dumbbells)...hate hate hate them. But they work.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 964 Member
    Planks!!!!!!!