Arm lift surgery after 75 pounds lost!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Looks good!

My only pet peeve with surgery is that they manipulate words to make it sound more appealing. It's really not an "arm lift" but "skin reduction" surgery. Now granted "arm lift" sounds less scary, but still just like a "tummy tuck" and a "face lift", excess skin is just being removed in most cases. Semantics I know, but I guess I'm used to using correct terminology due to many words being deceptive to women when it comes personal improvement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    There's no "semantics" issue if you read the informed consent form that's required when you have surgery. Along with what the surgeon tells you, the consent form makes it clear what the surgery entails.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    You look great! I had an arm lift and tummy tuck in March and even with the scars, it was a great decision for me also. Good luck with the rest of your recovery!
  • holla18
    holla18 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

It looks very nice

Do you mind telling me how much this cost and how long the recovery period was?

I am considering getting my tummy skin removed after I lose another 20-30 pounds ( currently up to 43 lost) in the summer.
  • LisaPrust
    LisaPrust Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Beautifully Awesome! Thank you so much for sharing the pix & info!! Congratulations
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    You look great! I had an arm lift and tummy tuck in March and even with the scars, it was a great decision for me also. Good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Thank you!! Congrats with yours :) My scars look so great even one week out! I can't wait to see how they heal.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    There's no "semantics" issue if you read the informed consent form that's required when you have surgery. Along with what the surgeon tells you, the consent form makes it clear what the surgery entails.
    Sorry, but there's very little to do with actually "lifting" since that would entail manipulating attachment points of the tendons. It's excess skin removal that's the process. It's just not marketed that way.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Cortneyrenee04
    Options
    holla18 wrote: »
    It looks very nice

Do you mind telling me how much this cost and how long the recovery period was?

I am considering getting my tummy skin removed after I lose another 20-30 pounds ( currently up to 43 lost) in the summer.

Thank you :)! Mine was $4600. Today is day 8 post-op and I feel great. My first few days were a blur, lots of pain meds and couldn't do much for myself at all. I was able to take a shower alone after 6 days, which seems awesome to me! I can pretty much do anything now, except exercise which is killing me! I was able to chop veggies last night and I can reach up almost fully extended now. It'll be another week or so before I'm totally back to normal.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    susan100df wrote: »
    Sorry, but there's very little to do with actually "lifting" since that would entail manipulating attachment points of the tendons. It's excess skin removal that's the process. It's just not marketed that way.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Let's just call it bilateral brachioplasty, then. :)
  • Val8less
    Val8less Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    WAy to go!...You look awesome...and Thanks for sharing!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    edited December 2015
    Options
    More pictures:

7C0EF180-F041-4CF4-A93F-635ACC619ED9_zpsduuvlfgc.jpg

FEBA6576-FAEE-430C-9D78-2158DCEDAB2A_zpskhttowwu.jpg

8C8D7AB3-121B-46D7-8AFF-C07E26152F17_zpsaqnv2swy.jpg

CDB6A69B-7B1B-43AD-A8B9-776CAE958B49_zpsmnxxikc0.jpg

Still swollen, but much less! My right arm is down by one inch, and my left arm is down half an inch. Tomorrow I'm getting all of the glue taken off by my surgeon so they won't have those dark spots any more! My arms were super sensitive yesterday, like the nerves are waking up. So uncomfortable!
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Options
    More pictures:

Day 4 vs day 18
    06DD7CEE-5FA2-479E-A906-C1F161E05054_zpsioxqsczh.jpg

8A3F74ED-2383-405E-879E-6F56E8EEC564_zpsvsuhbtdc.jpg

CDB6A69B-7B1B-43AD-A8B9-776CAE958B49_zpsqlfd3hpt.jpg

FEBA6576-FAEE-430C-9D78-2158DCEDAB2A_zpskhttowwu.jpg

8C8D7AB3-121B-46D7-8AFF-C07E26152F17_zpsaqnv2swy.jpg

Still pretty swollen, but much less! My left arm is down half an inch. Right arm is down one inch.
  • TraceyKakes
    TraceyKakes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow you look so good! Congrats on the weight loss. How are you finding the scaring? I want to do this but was told the scaring can be pretty intense. How has your experience been with it? If you feel comfortable with it can you post a photo?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Options
    Wow you look so good! Congrats on the weight loss. How are you finding the scaring? I want to do this but was told the scaring can be pretty intense. How has your experience been with it? If you feel comfortable with it can you post a photo?

Thank you!

My scars are already looking so nice. It takes quite a while for them to be less noticeable, but parts of mine are already skin colored and pretty flat. I'm sure that by spring time they'll look incredible!

I feel like a good surgeon will not leave you with a bad scar. They should place it where it'll be hidden and it should be straight (I've seen some jagged ones)! And if you take care of them, the scars should heal. For me, the scars were way easier to handle than my old arms. They were so depressing to me.

What sort of picture would you like? You can see the healing progression in these photos, but I'll take a different one and post it. Just let me know!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I've heard where some surgeons use a combination of "glue" and then wrap the arms up so that they can try to reduce stitching and leave a less "zippered" look. Was that an option for you to get it done? Just curious.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! Your arms now fit your new body. Great reward for your weight loss!

What happens with the skin's elasticity after surgery? Light if you regain some weight will the skin handle the higher volume?
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I've heard where some surgeons use a combination of "glue" and then wrap the arms up so that they can try to reduce stitching and leave a less "zippered" look. Was that an option for you to get it done? Just curious.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's what my surgeon did. The (dissolvable) stitches are done from the inside, and there's glue on the outside. All of the glue is off now, for the most part, and he's taking the rest off today.

The first week I had basically ace bandages on my arms at all times except for my 10 minute showers. After that, they have me a compression garment to wear and I can take it off twice a day for an hour at a time.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Options
    joinn68 wrote: »
    Nicely done! Your arms now fit your new body. Great reward for your weight loss!

What happens with the skin's elasticity after surgery? Light if you regain some weight will the skin handle the higher volume?

Thank you :) I love them!!

I would imagine they would just get fat again but that's not in the plans. So I haven't really worried about that :D
  • Faye369
    Faye369 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing the photos ... your results are awesome and what I am hoping for :) I have always had big arms but now that I've lost weight I find I still need larger tops to accommodate them and the result is that the rest of the garment is too big around the waist and hips. So I have decided to have an arm lift and have a consultation next week. I would really appreciate if you don't mind, if you would post photos of the underside of your arms so I can see the scars ... I am very interested in seeing how they have healed and hearing how you feel now that it has been almost a year since your surgery. Thank you so much !
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Check out realself.com. They have tons of progression photos on all plastic surgery and satisfaction ratings. It seems arm surgery is among most difficult, but the scars for some are worth it. I am losing weight to see if I can get my bat wings smaller among other things. :* After I will consider the surgery.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!