When you find out how many calories are in your favorite meal...

Options

Replies

• kdcomstock89
    kdcomstock89 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing! We have little to-go containers for dressing, I would take 1 or 2 of them to eat with my grilled cheese and fries or chicken strips and fries. Turns out these little containers are 3.5 oz which makes them 490 calories of ranch each. Uuuuugggghhhh. Almost 1000 calories in one meal and that doesn't even account for the actual food!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Culver's treat:

791 cal - Bacon Double Deluxe
    612 cal - Cheese curds
    210 cal - Medium Pepsi
    624 cal - 2 scoop Strawberry and Blackberry sundae

2,237 calories

Cheesecake Factory treat

+1100 cal - Jambalaya with rice
    +420 cal - Pepsi (free refills!)
    +900 cal - Chocolate tuxedo cheesecake
    ? cal - complimentary bread

>2,220 calories
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I wonder now how many calories my old favorite cram session food was? Good thing it was a once a semester meal.

6-9 Double Dave's pepperoni pizza rolls (~7" long), each bite dipped in ranch.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    We don't eat out a lot, so if we do, I just skip a meal that day to account for it. The thing that really shocked me was the creamer I put in my coffee (and how much of it I use). Still working on that!
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Two words: monte cristo.

I have yet to find a restaurant that publishes nutrition for that gut bomb. I'll eat it at Cheddars with a ceasar salad, buttered croissant, and double hash brown casserole.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that's a lot of food for one meal.

Two options. You save up calories over a week, and you eat 1/2 of everything you order.
    Or you just eat the meal and have a day where you know you went way over and move on.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    That tomato soup sounds delicious!!

My favorite is a Pilgrim sandwich. Stuffing with turkey and gravy on a very delicious roll with mashed potatoes on the side. Pepperjack cheese too. Comes in at a whooping 2600 calories. I don't eat breakfast but have eaten it after eating lunch.

I won't say I will never have it again but it will be rare that I have that amount or willing to spend that amount of calories.

Even only eating half is a lot of calories at one time on maintenance calories.

Same thing with Five Guys. Love love love their burgers and fries.

It bums me out but it also makes me feel good that I am acknowledging calories instead of ignoring them.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat out much as a kid, so never formed an expectation of having fries (or chips) with a meal. My expectation is that there will be a leafy green or something in the broccoli family, so when fries come with a meal I ask for coleslaw or broccoli.

We also didn't have wine with meals, so when I developed the habit of gardening after work with a "glass" of wine, I had no sense that my gigantic red plastic glass held way more than an appropriate serving size. WW cleared this up for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing I used to order 2500 calories of food pretty much every time I went out. The worst is always dessert though, mostly because it doesn't fill you up that much for sometimes over 1000 calories.

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Our homemade biscuits and gravy. For the amount I want to eat is over 1000cals.
  • tmartin19710
    tmartin19710 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mine would be homemade biscuits with chocolate gravy and bacon. Or Chinese buffet. I don't want to think about the calories of either but I havent had them since July because I just can't justify either .
  • Francl27
    Options
    Mine would be homemade biscuits with chocolate gravy and bacon. Or Chinese buffet. I don't want to think about the calories of either but I havent had them since July because I just can't justify either .

Chinese buffet.. when you start adding every little bite and it comes up to 2000 calories or more.
  • ekoth_09
    ekoth_09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Haha, I cringe but still eat it. :smiley:
  • Jmacey718
    Jmacey718 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just order from a company called Hearty Meals. they sync with fitbit and deliver me meals based on how active i am. foods awesome too
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I've never eaten there, but I hear that Cheesecake Factory dinners are in the neighborhood of Whopping Calorie Counts. To me, it's not worth it. But, judging by how popular the restaurant is, a whole lot of people don't share my opinion.

To be fair, their regular meals are big enough to feed four people. And there is a skinny menu that is perfectly reasonable calorie-wise and for the most part very tasty. The cheesecake is high, but hey. Cheesecake. It isn't much more than one I'd make myself if I made the real thing.

I was disappointed about bread. I love bread but avoid it most of the time because I love having decent sized meals more.

Yup, I was going to say I've had appetizers at Cheesecake Factory that were big enough to be two meals. Portion control is almost always the key when it comes to this stuff.
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    And there is so much sodium in the stuff, even if the dishes are listed as "healthy". But you know what? You have to live right? If you know you're going to go out to eat, be good the rest of the day. One big ol' meal isn't going to kill you!
  • Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    It's not always so much about calories, but what is actually in the dish that matters more. If something is low-cal, they are doctoring it up in some other way to make it taste good.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It's not always so much about calories, but what is actually in the dish that matters more. If something is low-cal, they are doctoring it up in some other way to make it taste good.

Usually more spices, vinegar, zests, etc. Good things to do at home, too, if meals are lacking zip.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    20 oz prime rib, baked potato (extra butter and extra sour cream), broccoli drowning in butter, bread with butter, plus an apetizer and a salad with creamy dressing. ....
    I don't even want to know!
  • Francl27
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    20 oz prime rib, baked potato (extra butter and extra sour cream), broccoli drowning in butter, bread with butter, plus an apetizer and a salad with creamy dressing. ....
    I don't even want to know!

I used to get the 10oz prime rib with mashed potatoes and mac'n cheese or something... after the salad bar of course. Then had dessert.

Good times...