Question about Greek yogurt????

Options

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I wonder if Greek yogurt in England is different from Greek yogurt in the states, and by extension yogurt in Greece ?

The only difference I could find was that they can't call it Greek yogurt in the UK unless it comes from Greece. Otherwise it's Greek style yogurt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Is it supposed to be really thick and taste like sour cream???? Thought it was going to taste like plain yogurt! Ewe!

Both unsweetened Greek and regular yogurt taste sour to me. When you say "plain" yogurt, do you mean unsweetened, or just not Greek? I have a hard time finding plain (unsweetened) yogurt in the small size, so we may mean different things by "plain."

Super easy to find around here -- plain greek or plain regular yogurt (I think OP means non-Greek yogurt by plain, though). Anyway, all over the stores:

yw4xojwoc2mu.jpg
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Wallaby organic whole milk Greek yogurt is the best in the US. I have tried them ALL I am sure. And nothing beats the whole milk yogurt in Greece. But that might be the inevitable stunning terrace views when one sits outside to eat it for breakfast there! LOL
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Strain whole milk Greek yogurt again through cheese cloth several hours or overnight & you'll have an Arabic cheese called labneh which is a lot like cream cheese. I love that too & need to work out the protein in that per serving...
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Wallaby organic whole milk Greek yogurt is the best in the US. I have tried them ALL I am sure. And nothing beats the whole milk yogurt in Greece. But that might be the inevitable stunning terrace views when one sits outside to eat it for breakfast there! LOL

Wallaby makes Trader Joe's private label too. My kid loves it!
  • bdorri00
    bdorri00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I always go for flavored greek yogurt. I really like dannon 80 calorie vanilla/coconut vanilla.
  • jpaulsims
    jpaulsims Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I really like Yoplait's greek. I tried Chobani and some others but didn't like the sour taste. Yoplait has more of a standard yogurt flavor, but just thicker and a lot more protein.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Finding full fat Greek yogurt in a supermarket around here is kind of like spotting a unicorn. I think I saw it once out of the corner of my eye.

I'd love to try it.

Does this include the quart size? All the supermarkets around here have full fat Greek in quarts.

I only buy the quart size, so yup. I can't find the full fat version, just the 2%.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I love plain greek yogurt and won't eat anything but Siggi's or Skyre. There is just nothing better on the market! A bit expensive but on my yummy! I like the plain but like to mix Better N' Peanut Butter and a little cinnamon in it. I have it almost every night for a snack before bed :smile:
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I wonder if Greek yogurt in England is different from Greek yogurt in the states, and by extension yogurt in Greece ?

yes it is Yogurt and Greek Yogurt are different in the US
    It is sweeter overall

Yogurt and Greek yogurts in the UK are more sour tasting.

btw so for milk it taste different and butter.
    And i tried a lot.

Now i must say that i love some Irish butter and you can buy that here too but never tried if that is the same.

All diary here are good for weeks...they dont know the daily fresh thing like Holland ( diary is mostly only a couple days in the store as a max)
    Here you buy milk today and it stays good till January lol How....my guess is conserving chemicals whatever.
    And the diary tast more like the UK and Dutch Pasteurized diary.
    It took me some time to get used to it specially the yogurts. I was not used to the sweet taste of things...btw bread too is sweeter. But i do remember that UK bread was also sweeter than Dutch bread.

95069916.png
  • orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use plain Greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute because I don't enjoy eating it on its own due to the tartness.
    Now I love the Oikos Vanilla Greek Yogurt & very frequently will pop that in the freezer for 45 minutes and eat it nice and cold. Add some fibre one & strawberries = love.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Ours in the UK comes from Greece otherwise it's "Greek Style ". There's a lot of the latter about.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

...All diary here are good for weeks...they dont know the daily fresh thing like Holland ( diary is mostly only a couple days in the store as a max)
    Here you buy milk today and it stays good till January lol How....my guess is conserving chemicals whatever.
    And the diary tast more like the UK and Dutch Pasteurized diary.

Yes, Ultra Pasteurized milk stays good for much longer and in fact doesn't even need to be refrigerated before opening, but "Americans distrust milk that hasn’t been refrigerated. We like our milk cold, and UHT milk doesn’t need to be refrigerated. So, milk producers got creative. They could extend the shelf life of their product and not advertise that they were doing it. They’d sell the milk in normal packaging, in the refrigerator aisle, and none of us would be the wiser."

I get milk that has had regular pasteurization from a local dairy. Sure, it doesn't last as long in the frig, but it tastes better, and I can see that the cows are well treated, which is important to me.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    yes in Holland it is mostly the same in stores Milk get delivered daily fresh and when the date on the carton/bottle is 2 days away almost nobody buys it anymore. 1 or two days max for selling. Expiration dates about a week.

But it is also less sweet, all dairy

95069916.png
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I added a tablespoon of honey some bear oats and some rasberries and blackberries and now I can eat it lol

Glad you can eat it now! My favorite add-ins are defrosted frozen blueberries (the juice mixes in with the yogurt and thins it out a little bit), raspberries, pumpkin seed granola and either honey or a little jam.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, Fage denies that their yogurt is different in the US:

http://usa.fage.eu/news/fage’s-state-art-us-plant-0
  • vivdenx
    vivdenx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really like Greek Yogurt, but I had to get used to it. I ate it with honey and fruit first, but now I just add fruit, because that's sweet enough for me.
    It's a little thicker than normal yogurt, but I like it better. :)
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I spoon the plain greek yogurt into ice cube trays and pop into the freezer for when I make smoothies. That way, I get a thick and creamy concoction without watering it down with regular ice cubes. My favorite is a pineapple-blueberry greek yogurt smoothie.
  • RainbowInTheDark
    RainbowInTheDark Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, Fage denies that their yogurt is different in the US:

http://usa.fage.eu/news/fage’s-state-art-us-plant-0

Fage yoghurt is the same everywhere, i'm pretty sure.
    It's pretty nice and creamy but my favorite one is from delta, i think they are exporting to USA but i'm not 100% sure (under vivartia's brand name). If you ever see delta's small family farms yoghurt, get it! It's AMAZING.

That's how they look like
    http://www.vivartia.com/?page_id=3648&lang=en
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I usually go for fat free flavoured Greek yoghurt by whatever brands is on sale that week, usually $.99 / yoghurt. They taste pretty good, and are usually 80-100 calories. The plain ones don't taste so good, especially fat free ones. You can dress them up though, add pineapples, walnuts, honey, mango, banana, etc, but you will also add calories.
    I eat them as morning snacks or when I'm craving something sweet.