Suggestions for better coping mechanisms?

Options
2»

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I agree w/knk1553 -- professional help might be the best thing right now. Sometimes no matter how much we want to, we can't THINK or FEEL our way out of our emotional "pit," especially after a series of really traumatic events, or when you're already prone to depression or anxiety. I've been there, and having a great therapist has helped me immensely. If you have a good, safe, helpful place to go and a knowledgeable person to give you some good tools, you'll be so much stronger and able to cope the next time you find yourself "low."

A lot of employers and health plans provide free counseling (at least for a certain # of sessions), and lots of docs also take most insurance plans so you only have a co-pay.

The other thing I do in the immediate moment is just focus on the NEXT moment -- I'm just gonna drink this bottle of water first, and then see how I feel. Now I'm just gonna walk down the block and back and see how I feel. Now I'm gonna read 1 chapter of this book (or whatever else you usually enjoy), and then I'll see.:ohwell: If you can just find little (even silly) things to get you to that next moment, next hour, next day...sometimes that's all it takes, and suddenly w/baby steps, you're in a different place in your head, and feeling better.

GOOD LUCK to you, and many HUGS. :flowerforyou:
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    Zen ironing , (the concept my aunty Olwen gifted to me and in turn I gift to you) divide the jobs you have to do round the house into manageable chunks then pick one which you tend to feel better knowing it's out of the way and do that when you feel miserable because the feeling afterwards is 'Life may be crap but at least I got the..... done'
    I get SAD and bouts of depression, up until recently kickboxing and grappling really helped with the low mood not because of the exercise aspect but because honestly, sometimes, it feels very very good to kick the everloving out of something , unfourtunatly the Drs now put the mockers on that method so I may well be joining you in the pity party corner :(
  • carriparton
    carriparton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    First of all, I just want to say that you are stronger than you think you are. You came here looking for help. When I was at that point, I didn't ask for help and ended up suffering more because of it. I have to agree with the other posters that are suggesting professional help. Most employers have Employee Assistance Programs that cover mental health professionals. That is where I went first and called the first psychologist they gave me. I have been seeing him for 3 years now, along with a psychiatrist for medication and am actually able to fight the depression now.

One thing my psychologist told me to do is to give in to the depression. Let it come and let it teach you. And like you, food has been my coping mechanism. I also hate when people tell me to exercise when I am depressed, it is harder than they think. Just know that you need to stay away from food when it hits you. I usually either go lay down or leave my house, just to get away from the tempation of food.

I hope you take some of the suggestions on this post. Sometimes it just helps to have a friend to talk to. If you want, you can friend me and together we can help each other out.
  • yougojo170
    Options
    I do the same thing. When I am depressed I eat. its a bad habit I formed many years ago. I find talking to a friend and or going out and doing something fun helps a lot. Keep busy. If exercising is not the thing for you to keep busy- then find something fun that is. Music always picks me up. Of course you have to ensure its upbeat music not some sad song. Do you have friends or family you can call or be with when you get depressed? My cousin and I always call each other to vent and cry it out and the other one listens then says something funny to get the other one out of the funk. She lives in Boston and I live in NJ but we have been there for each other for years. Also, although I am not religious I am spiritual. My faith has helped me thru many very rough times such as breast cancer, losing my job, and losing my husband to brain cancer 6 months ago. If you dont have anyone to talk to - I will be your friend. You can vent with me. :smile:
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use art as an outlet, drawing or painting. doing those things help keep me focused rather than driving myself crazy. I'm a brooder & get stuck in quicksand with my thoughts.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Consider seeking professional aid. A therapist that specializes in greif may be of benefit to you. Or you might benefit from a therapist that can help you combat your depression. A good therapist will guide you through your issues and teach you healthy coping strategies. I really think that alot of times people just need someone to talk to and therapy does that for you. Talking through you feelings can be so helpful.

But if you are not thinking that this is something for you, I think that other posters have good suggestions. Working out is a great stress reliever.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Well, for me, eating is a sensory thing, and there are other sensory things that I find calming and comforting - such as listening to classical music, burning a scented candle or incense stick, sitting in a steam room, sauna or hot tub, having a massage, or even massaging myself.

Another thing I find helpful is keeping a journal - writing out all my thoughts and feelings helps to work through them. I try to do this on a regular basis anyway, but f I am going through a difficult time, then I really make myself do it every day, sometimes more than once a day, because I know it helps.

And reading/watching a tear-jerker feel-good book/movie. I find that really cathartic.

Do you have a hobby that you can get totally absorbed in? I like to draw, and I find getting totally absorbed in drawing is a very calming process - and when I'm absorbed in it, I'm not even thinking of other things like eating.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Find supportive friends. It is hard - especially as an adult. But find a group of people you meet with regularly and eventually you'll find those in that group you like. Talking will make you feel better. Not just talking about problems, but talking about good things too. Or just silly things.

Being with other people doing other things takes you out of yourself. And that's what you need.

Reading groups, library volunteers. Boating groups (see you in that kayak). Join a choir or a bowling team. Work on the PTA. Volunteer at a homeless shelter.

Learn tai chi. Yoga has lots of skinny people but tai chi is great for people of all body sizes and all levels of starting activity. My husband teaches tai chi and teaches a class for people in wheel chairs and for senior citizens. It gets you out of the house and gives you people to talk with. If you can't find one at the Y or a community club, many senior centers offer them and they're happy to have young folks there too.

Seriously. When you're happier, it will be easier to be healthy. And you'll want to work harder to get and stay healthy.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I also agree with seeking counseling to help....it in the meantime, find something to do with your hands. I was going through a very difficult time at the end of the year last year and I took up crochet to give me something to do and keep me busy. I never ended up making anything (I have about 3 unfinished projects!) but it got my mind off of things, I could take as much time with it as I wanted, and it was cheap. When I looked at my progress it really helped me feel accomplished. There are a ton of online tutorials that helped me learn. It may not be your cup of tea, but maybe use that idea to find something that suits you.

Best of luck in your journey to get out of this depression - I know therenarendifficult days, but just keep putting one foot in front of the other and going on.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I stand up, clench my right fist (which is a psychological trigger for determination) and say out loud- pathetic pity parties are NOT sexy. turn up the music and dance around the house in my underwear until im smiling for real.
  • taymam
    taymam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested for me to start with excersize and counselling. And then if that doesn't work drugs. HA easier said than done right? MUSIC is pretty much the only thing that can help snap me out of the pity party. I used to listen to metal, but as it turns out I have to be into a good mood to listen to metal (who'd have thunk it). So I have progressed into electronic upbeat dancing type music. And I dance ALL DAY LONG. Also, sometimes I think these feelings are there because your mind is telling you your not being the person you want to be. If you set long term goals and take baby steps toward achieving those goals not only do you find yourself distracted, but it gives you a direction to keep walking in. For instance, my goals right now: run a full 5k in 2016, I made a bet with my buddy about who will beat whom at the spartan race this year (loser has to eat dried maggots and other insecty snacks), I also in this journey discovered that I need to go back to school and get a degree and masters if I want to live the type of life I have planned for myself. So for now I'm signing up for upgrading so I can start school when my children are school aged. And because I suffer from depression and need that extra boost, I have motivation all around me in the form of quotes, charts, calendars, menu guides, reminders. I hope that helps. You can pm me if you have any questions or want to see photos of the guides and charts. You can do this. This program really works and it's 80 percent food. I was 220 pounds last January 1st, now I'm 158 and a size 8. Organization is the key.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I've battled depression, drug addiction, and alcoholism in my life, as well as emotional eating. Exercise turned my life around. No lie. To this day, exercise is still the number one thing that keeps me going. This is why I tell people to find a type of exercise they enjoy. If you don't enjoy it, you won't stick to it. Don't just try something once and decide you don't like it. Try a whole bunch of things and try them numerous times. Chances are you will find what you enjoy doing. But also, find a way to deal with your emotions. Do something healthy. Talk to someone, write it down, whatever it takes. When you feel you want to eat emotionally, find something to busy yourself. It's not always easy to get up and do something when you are feeling down, but once you do it, you'll be glad you did.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    lilteepot wrote: »
    So, long story short, about three years ago in the window of about 5 days, I lost everything -- a career I loved, the love of my life, my home and everything in it. It's certainly given me an opportunity to redirect and redefine my life... but ever since then I struggle with occasional bouts of "the blues" and self-pity parties. For about as far back as I can remember, my go-to coping mechanism for grief and depression has been food. My psyche attributes a full stomach (typically packed with unhealthy foods to boot) with comfort and love, followed of course, by a long bout of sleep which doesn't help matters ... How do I break this?

Yes, I've been told "take a walk!" and "do a quick few minutes of exercise!" The problem with that solution is that I fight exercise even on really GOOD days, so expecting me to push through the fog of tears and/or lethargy on bad days is fairly unrealistic at this juncture... I'm not looking for anything drastic -- just something that gives me a spark of hope on bad days that doesn't come anywhere near food (or even steers me away from it). So help a girl out... What do you do to make yourself feel better on rough days?

With what you have survived, the only advise I can give is to follow Bill Murray from "Meatballs":Repeat after me:

"It just doesn't matter, It just doesn't matter..."

Google the link, here at work it's blocked.

It just doesn't matter.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Since it seems like your losses were a few years ago you may have clinical depression and could benefit a lot from professional help. Once you're able to get out of the black pit you'll be able to follow through on some of the great advice in this thread.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    I stand up, clench my right fist (which is a psychological trigger for determination) and say out loud- pathetic pity parties are NOT sexy. turn up the music and dance around the house in my underwear until im smiling for real.
    oooooh, i really think i have to steal this idea! :smiley:
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    like another person who posted..... I enjoy gardening. i call it playing in the dirt. i can nurture my plants, they don't talk back or attempt an eye-roll, lol.
    honestly, i'm one of those exercisers...... except..... now i can't. i'm in physical therapy for hip pain and i've been banned from running and cycling and i "shouldn't" do yoga, but heck, i gotta do SOMETHING. the mindfulness training in yoga is helpful, as is gardening...... my only other idea is mint gum. i am not as tempted to dig into the kids' snacks if i'm chewing mint gum (sugar free!)