Help?

Options
After the many failed diets, I'm really trying hard this time. My weight loss goal is big...and I have no clue where to get started. Any suggestions for a successful weight loss?

Replies

• mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Take it one meal at a time. Figure out your calories you need to maintain your current weight, then subtract 500 calories from that number and that will help you lose a pound a week. Also remember you are human as most of us are (there may be hidden robots here lol) but you will stumble and slip from time to time, DO NOT beat yourself up over it. Just realize this is a marathon not a sprint. MFP is a great resource full of motivation and support, and as long as you track what you eat and stay under your calorie goal you will succeed.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Figure out what your TDEE is or your maintenance is.
    Exercise
    keep track to see if your losing weight.
    If you're not, cut your calories down by 100 calories at a time.
  • mikevandewetering
    mikevandewetering Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    messuring is the key for most people. and the tips the other posters gave
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yes! Don't over complicate it when you first start. Get a kitchen scale for your food (yes, it takes longer when you first start, but you adapt quickly and it makes your calorie count more accurate). Log what you are eating now, without making changes. Then you can see exactly what you are putting into your body and you can make changes based on what you want to accomplish. Read, a lot in these forums. There is so much misinformation out there that can create confusion. Learn from those who are succeeding, or have succeeded and are now maintaining. There are some threads stickied at the top of this forum and the general weight loss forum. Those are valuable.

Set realist goals. Be patient. Be persistent. Be consistent. Don't beat yourself up. Don't label foods as "good" or "bad".
  • rhianna818
    rhianna818 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If I were to focus on the BIG number I have to lose to get to a normal BMI I would feel extremely overwhelmed. My starting weight was 367. I set a goal for 299 in August. I am now 15 lbs from that goal. I am not even 1/2 way to my BIG goal so I am no expert at this but here is what is working for me:

I read a lot here. I read all the sticky post. I learned about my daily burn and calories in. I track every single thing I put in my mouth. I bought a food scale and use it. I learned about selecting the right entries in here and tracking in grams. I watched youtube videos about measuring. I read some more. I bought a Fitbit. I bought a food scale for work. I eat whatever I want, I just weigh it and track it.

I've done a few different diets and programs. I never felt like what I was doing would work. This time I feel like I am in control. This is energy for my body. I understand how it fits. And the fact that I am doing it and seeing results just motivates me to continue. I am so proud of myself. And you can totally do it too!