Changing everything to wholemeal?

Options
Hey guys,
Just a quick question really is changing everything wholemeal other than white better for you in dieting and long run?
Such as changing pastas and breads to wholemeal?
Is it better for you?
Or is it still bad as carbs?

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates aren't bad.

And whole grains are still carbohydrates.

Many people, including me, prefer whole grains because of the increased amount of fiber and higher concentrations of micronutrients. Whole grain pasta is not as good as regular pasta, though, IMO.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Changing to wholemeal gives you more fiber and a few more nutrients, that's about it. Changing or not changing is up to your preference. Dieting in the long run depends mainly on two things: The first is eating less than you burn and the second is sticking to it. More carbs, less carbs, white carbs, brown carbs, these are only variables that help with the second part (sticking to it).
    - If you don't like wholemeal you may be doing your diet harm if you make the switch and start eating things you don't like.
    - If you like wholemeal and the fiber helps you feel full, then this may be a good choice for you.
    - If you really like refined grains and eating white pasta within your calories gives you joy and satisfaction, then you are better off sticking with white.
    - If eating carbs helps you feel good and helps you stick to your diet, continue to do so.
    - If carbs make you feel hungrier than usual, consider reducing them

...you get the point. Calories is all that matters for weight loss, and being able to successfully manage your calories is all that matters for continued weight loss. Carbs and whatnot are just different details and strategies you tweak to your liking to make the diet easier to follow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hey guys,
    Just a quick question really is changing everything wholemeal other than white better for you in dieting and long run?
    Is it better for you?

- carbs aren't bad
    - whole grains provide a little more nutrition by way of fiber and often a little more protein and other micronutrients.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Is it better for you?

- carbs aren't bad
    - whole grains provide a little more nutrition by way of fiber and often a little more protein and other micronutrients.

Exactly this.

I like whole grains so tend to choose them when possible, but I don't refuse to eat white pasta or good white bread when other options are not easily available (life's too short to waste calories on mediocre bread, IMO, so I am picky about the bread I choose to eat). If you compare the differences aren't so extreme, really, especially if one otherwise eats a healthy diet (with lots of veg, plenty of protein) and gets plenty of fiber.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I think they taste better! Except for pasta or sourdough bread, IMO. And sprouted grain breads are super yummy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think they taste better! Except for pasta or sourdough bread, IMO. And sprouted grain breads are super yummy.

I think there are really good whole grain and white breads both and really bad examples of both.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Changing to wholemeal gives you more fiber and a few more nutrients, that's about it. Changing or not changing is up to your preference. Dieting in the long run depends mainly on two things: The first is eating less than you burn and the second is sticking to it. More carbs, less carbs, white carbs, brown carbs, these are only variables that help with the second part (sticking to it).

(more goodness from original snipped)

Very +1.
    If you decide to go that route, experiment. In particular, some brands of wholegrain pasta are much, much better than others. I like Bionaturae, but there are other good ones.

• kirstyclarke3705
    kirstyclarke3705 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Is it better for you?

- carbs aren't bad

Exactly this.

I like whole grains so tend to choose them when possible, but I don't refuse to eat white pasta or good white bread when other options are not easily available (life's too short to waste calories on mediocre bread, IMO, so I am picky about the bread I choose to eat). If you compare the differences aren't so extreme, really, especially if one otherwise eats a healthy diet (with lots of veg, plenty of protein) and gets plenty of fiber.

Thanks guys
  • kirstyclarke3705
    kirstyclarke3705 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

(more goodness from original snipped)

Very +1.
    If you decide to go that route, experiment. In particular, some brands of wholegrain pasta are much, much better than others. I like Bionaturae, but there are other good ones.

Thanks guys