Sweets/ drinks recommend

Options
When you are craving sweets or a drink? Yes Alcohol... What are some suggestions? I only drink lemon water or ice coffee all day long. Lowest cal suggestions?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    When i want to drink I prelog 3 drinks (making sure each drink has at least 2oz of liquor logged). I tend to drink whiskey on the rocks or vodka soda to cut down on any calories from mixers. Plus whiskey on the rocks is my favorite anyway.

eta: I prelog 3 drinks but shoot or 2, then I can come home and have a snack if I skip the third :)
  • nise82
    nise82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    When i want to drink I prelog 3 drinks (making sure each drink has at least 2oz of liquor logged). I tend to drink whiskey on the rocks or vodka soda to cut down on any calories from mixers. Plus whiskey on the rocks is my favorite anyway.

eta: I prelog 3 drinks but shoot or 2, then I can come home and have a snack if I skip the third :)

• nise82
    nise82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nice! I like vodka. That's a good trick
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Vodka is... well, vodka. Not worth the calories for something you can't taste, imo.

I eat peanut butter M&M's a lot. But that's cause they are in the vending machines at work. At home, I tend to go for ice cream, if I have the calories, those fruit and veggie popsicles (35 - 40 calories for the small ones), or some form of chocolate. I had a bag full of licorice and cinnamon Jelly Bellies earlier this month. That was worth it.

As far as alcohol, I tend to go for whiskey. For all liquors (not liqueurs, which are usually sweetened), the calories work out to about 1.6 x ABV x ounces (so, 64 calories for 1oz of 40% liquor). I tend to prefer cask strength though, so some of those are over 100 calories per ounce. I just add a bit of water, to help open it up. I mean, if you want specific whiskey recs, I could talk about that forever.

If you prefer mixed drinks, I recommend the Rickey. Personally, I like a Gin Rickey, but any liquor will do. 1.5 oz of liquor, juice of 1 lime, and top with soda water (~3 oz). I usually add about a teaspoon of simple syrup, but it doesn't really need it. It does need lots of ice, though, so serve in a highball. I use a 45% ABV gin when making it, and it comes in just under 130 calories (with the simple syrup added).

One benefit of the Rickey is that any bartender should know it. And it's almost impossible to mess up. Mojitos are my favorite (and about the same calories), but they are easy to screw up.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I tend to like drinks with Malibu. It has 51 calories an ounce, so you can get a tasty cocktail for little calories. I've been known to do Malibu with diet sprite and juice. The calories can be controlled at home depending on the juice and how much you use.
  • debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Recently, chocolate lucky charms, gives me a chocolate fix, I have it either plain ...nibbling a few at a time as a snack or with 1/2 cup milk as a snack.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    For a sweet, fruity, non-alcoholic drink, you can't go wrong with kombucha. I like the brand GT's Synergy (the "classic" version actually has about 1 proof from the natural brewing process, but they have an "Enlightened" version with no alcohol). They have a ton of flavors, my favorite being the Divine Grape. It's delicious, has probiotics, and is only 35 calories for 8 ounces. They sell it at Whole Foods, but I've seen it in other grocery stores as well lately.

For alcoholic drinks, I like craft beers and bourbon. I drink the bourbon with a splash of coke or just on ice, depending on my mood.

For my serious sweet tooth cravings, it's got to be dark chocolate. I like the Bark Thins with pumpkin seeds. I get the big bag at Costco and have a piece or two whenever the craving hits.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like prosecco - about 500 calories per bottle.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I usually go for red wine. About 125 calories for 5 oz. I don't like a lot of hard liquors unless they're froo froo'd up for me and that equals a ton of calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    nise82 wrote: »
    When you are craving sweets or a drink? Yes Alcohol... What are some suggestions? I only drink lemon water or ice coffee all day long. Lowest cal suggestions?

When I get sufficient sleep, exercise, and protein I don't have cravings :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and fit it into my daily allowance.

I usually do vodka water with lemon ...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I like prosecco - about 500 calories per bottle.

I like a lady that thinks in terms of the entire bottle... ;)

OP I do wine usually - 1-2 glasses is less than 250 cals and pretty easy to fit into my day.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    When I am craving a sweet thing and don't want to waste a lot of calories:

k2-_5f9f615c-89da-40e7-beca-074083c8ed58.v1.jpg

EXTREMELY YUMMY and does NOT taste "diet."

Or I have a single serving of ice cream for about 140 calories.

When I want alcohol - I just have a glass of wine or a bottle of Blue Moon. I had some (some being, way too much...lol) Jim Beam & ginger ale this week at a convention - and while I loooooved it - it did NOT love me - the next day I was quite unhappy with my sad tummy and woozy head, lol. I'll stick to a glass of wine or the beer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    For sweetened water, Mio to taste.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I drink craft beer and vodka. Drank it before I lost weight and haven't stopped. I'm still not convinced calories are 1:1 in alcohol.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I drink craft beer and vodka. Drank it before I lost weight and haven't stopped. I'm still not convinced calories are 1:1 in alcohol.

I'm intrigued. What do you mean by this?
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If I drink beer, I'll usually drink as many as I wish (even if it's way too much).. But since I started using MFP, there's not been a single beer I haven't logged! Sometimes I'll switch out beer for vodka soda, but hard liquor has a different effect on me for sure :o
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Diet ginger ale and jack daniels. Jack and Ginger. Miller lite. Fresh lemonade or limeade, I use stevia extract, not those chemical laden packets. Mostly I'm a water drinker, or unsweetened ice tea when out, and not having a beer. I don't crave sweet drinks.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Michelob ultra. low carb and tastes okay. Oh but it's not sweet...crap. I think they have one sweet brand though.