How to improve my running

Options
I'm in pretty good shape, but I can't run for the life of me! I can run a mile in about 10 minutes currently. How can I improve this time and how can I add distance? I don't know how to make a training plan for this. I do my running on a treadmill because my lungs don't hold up well in colder weather.

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Many folks use the Couch to 5K app and have great results. I'd start there.

Running on a treadmill is nothing like outdoors (even if you increase the incline). When you do transition to outdoors, you will have to take it easy for a while until you adjust.

The general rule for getting faster and running further is slow and steady. Run at a pace that you can have a conversation (or sing) and don't add more than 10% to your total distance each week. Run slowly 3-4 times a week and you will improve your performance quickly.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill isn't quite the same as running outside, but the cardio base you can build up on a treadmill will translate to outdoors if and when you are ready. I prefer to run on a treadmill for exercise because I don't like running. I run to build my cardio base for CrossFit and weight lifting. With that said, to answer your question, here are some suggestions -

1. Google "running cadence" and do some research on the subject (if you don't know what it is really). Having an understanding of cadence wasn't quite a "break through" moment in helping my running, but it sure helped a lot. I have a Polar Bluetooth cadence sensor (goes on your shoe) that syncs to my Polar M400 and it lets me monitor my cadence while running. Fixing cadence can help you run farther without getting as tired.

2. Mix up the type of running you are doing. If you are not doing it, add in some HIIT running (10-15 minutes is enough) and also some "hill running" (20-30 minutes). Lots of information out there on HIIT, but you basically will go all out sprint for 20-30 seconds, then rest (or jog lightly) for a minute or so. Do 6-7 rounds of that and by the end you should be ready to collapse. If you are not, it's not HIIT. Also, you can set the incline up for this as well to make it harder. I do mine at 6-7% incline. For hill running, I usually warm-up, then run on incline (something that makes you work) for 5 minutes, then set it on the lowest decline (if you have one) and run that way 5 minutes, then incline, then decline, and cool down. Set the speed on incline at something that makes you work but doesn't exaust you (it's not HIIT) and on decline you should try to set the speed higher since you're going "down hill". It does work your quads a good bit, but will get your feet used to turning over faster to keep up (cadence understanding will help here too). Only 1 day a week would i do a longer steady state cardio type run (i.e. 60 minutes of something that doesn't tire you out). But, all 3 different types of cardio help in the long run.

3. If you are running at 6 MPH (10 min mile), next time try to go at 6.1 MPH. Most treadmills will increment speed in 0.1 MPH increments. You won't tell the difference between 6 and 6.1. Once you get used to 6.1, even in the same session, bump it to 6.2. Go up .1 at a set frequency (i.e. every 5 minutes). Pretty soon you'll be running faster miles without realizing it.

4. If you're not, add strength training to your routine. Especially leg work. Squats, lunges, stiff leg deadlifts will help your legs and posterior chain, which will give you more power for your runs.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm in pretty good shape, but I can't run for the life of me! I can run a mile in about 10 minutes currently. How can I improve this time and how can I add distance? I don't know how to make a training plan for this. I do my running on a treadmill because my lungs don't hold up well in colder weather.

Assuming that you mean youo can run one mile in ten minutes your priority should be around running for longer, at an easy pace. To run for longer, then slow down a little, your focus turns into the time that you're running for, not the pace. As you add distance stamina then your pace improves.

Once you can run consistently for about an hour, then sprints might help, but untl then they're a waste of time.

That said I'd second the suggestion to use a plan. Drop into C25K about 4 weeks in.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    @Upstate_Dunadan - May I ask what cadence sensor you have? I have an M400 and am interested in getting one, and not sure which is best for running. Most of them only talk about using them for cycling.

Thanks.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If you can already run a mile, C25K may be a step back for you. You may want to jump in at a later point, or you might not want to back off to run/walk intervals at all, and that is fine. If you just want to keep running, back off to a 11 or 12 min/mile pace, and slowly add on distance.

Do NOT start running intervals though, your musculature is not built up for the impact, and your risk of injury will greatly increase. Speed work will give you very little gains as a new runner, and will put undue stress on you. For the first few months, your improvement will simply come by running more miles at an easy pace

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    First off, running a single mile in 10 minutes is actually pretty good.
    Next question: When you run that mile in 10 minutes, could you maintain a conversation out loud with a running partner without getting out of breath? ...or if you are running by yourself, could you sing a song out loud without struggling for a breath? If you can't do either, then you are actually running too fast.
    Find the pace that is comfortable where you could maintain a conversation or sing a song out loud and stick with that. That is what we call our easy "conversational" pace.
    Once you find that pace, try working on 2 miles at that easy "conversational" pace.
    Then work on 3 miles.

Start by running 3x a week (with a rest day or at most 2 in between runs).
    When you can run 3 miles 3x a week, then you will want to pick a day for your long run day.
    That is usually Saturday or Sunday for most people who work Mon-Fri jobs.

Slowly build your long run day up to 6 miles will maintaining 3 miles on your other 2 days of running.
    At most, add 1 mile each week to this long run. You can add a mile every other week, or every 2 weeks.
    Depends on how you feel.
    Once you can run 6 miles on your long run and 3 miles on your other 2 days, work on 4 miles on your other 2 days.

All of this is at your Easy "conversational" pace.
    repeat this progession of slowly increasing your long run and your other 2 run days.
    At a point, you may want to add a third day in addition to your long run (M-W-F-Sat for example).

The idea is to slowly add the miles. You will naturally get faster if you maintain your easy pace and build up the mileage.

Join my running challenge to get new friends and encouragement.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10292327/december-2015-running-challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veAQ73OJdwY

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    @Upstate_Dunadan - May I ask what cadence sensor you have? I have an M400 and am interested in getting one, and not sure which is best for running. Most of them only talk about using them for cycling.

Thanks.

Polar Bluetooth Stride Sensor
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill isn't quite the same as running outside, but the cardio base you can build up on a treadmill will translate to outdoors if and when you are ready. I prefer to run on a treadmill for exercise because I don't like running. I run to build my cardio base for CrossFit and weight lifting. With that said, to answer your question, here are some suggestions -

1. Google "running cadence" and do some research on the subject (if you don't know what it is really). Having an understanding of cadence wasn't quite a "break through" moment in helping my running, but it sure helped a lot. I have a Polar Bluetooth cadence sensor (goes on your shoe) that syncs to my Polar M400 and it lets me monitor my cadence while running. Fixing cadence can help you run farther without getting as tired.

No need to complicate this. learning cadence at this point is not necessary unless she complains of aches and pains and we can attribute poor running form with this. Not saying that learning cadence is a bad thing, just too much right now. Just go out and run for now.

if you really want to know the secret to candence, is simple: 180 steps per minute is "ideal" (or 90 right foots per minute). The idea is to have quicker but shorter steps so that you get the idea of having your feet land under your hips 9as opposed to way out front). If that seems too much thinking for right now, then skip the cadence for now. Not that important.
    2. Mix up the type of running you are doing. If you are not doing it, add in some HIIT running (10-15 minutes is enough) and also some "hill running" (20-30 minutes). Lots of information out there on HIIT, but you basically will go all out sprint for 20-30 seconds, then rest (or jog lightly) for a minute or so. Do 6-7 rounds of that and by the end you should be ready to collapse. If you are not, it's not HIIT. Also, you can set the incline up for this as well to make it harder. I do mine at 6-7% incline. For hill running, I usually warm-up, then run on incline (something that makes you work) for 5 minutes, then set it on the lowest decline (if you have one) and run that way 5 minutes, then incline, then decline, and cool down. Set the speed on incline at something that makes you work but doesn't exaust you (it's not HIIT) and on decline you should try to set the speed higher since you're going "down hill". It does work your quads a good bit, but will get your feet used to turning over faster to keep up (cadence understanding will help here too). Only 1 day a week would i do a longer steady state cardio type run (i.e. 60 minutes of something that doesn't tire you out). But, all 3 different types of cardio help in the long run.

No no no. Not right now. Right now all she needs to do is build up an aerobic base. Just work on that easy 'conversational" pace I described above for now. The other types of running comes later on after you build a base.
    3. If you are running at 6 MPH (10 min mile), next time try to go at 6.1 MPH. Most treadmills will increment speed in 0.1 MPH increments. You won't tell the difference between 6 and 6.1. Once you get used to 6.1, even in the same session, bump it to 6.2. Go up .1 at a set frequency (i.e. every 5 minutes). Pretty soon you'll be running faster miles without realizing it.

No no no. Do not run faster. Run slower but further. Again, think EASY & CONVERSATIONAL.
    Try running outside on the nice days or when it warms up. treadmills get boring for most people after running for more than 20 minutes. Thus the term: "dreadmill". Outdoor running is way more interesting.
    4. If you're not, add strength training to your routine. Especially leg work. Squats, lunges, stiff leg deadlifts will help your legs and posterior chain, which will give you more power for your runs.

Nothing wrong with this advice. Core, hips, and leg workouts will be what you need the most.
    You can even do one legged squats (no weights), planks, side planks, clams, side lunges, one legged deadlifts. You can youTube videos on these exercises as well.

• Upstate_Dunadan
    Options
    Well OP said she was in pretty good shape so I assumed she had decent cardio base. I was in pretty good shape when I started doing the things above, prior to which I did not run. My cardio was speed jump rope squeezed in during strength workouts. I'm now able to run longer distances (did a 5K earlier this year) and sustain for me what is a pretty fast pace.

I guess my angle is what you should be doing if you're strength training and want to get better at running. If all that matters is running for running sake, then I agree better to listen to the runners.
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I couldn't run 100 meters in March this year. Now I can run 10km in an hour, maybe less now. I used couch to 5k, but I didn't take it all the way to the end.

Once I was able to run a solid 20 minutes without waking, I swapped to using the zombies, run! app (being chased by zombies did wonders for my motivation... and speed). I started off running 10 minute miles, now down to about 8 and a half, so it is possible.
    I'm also doing strength training to prevent injury (shoulders, hamstrings, glutes, core).

I haven't intentionally been doing any speed work, but I've gotten faster naturally from practice. Three days a week, not trying to push myself too hard, resting appropriately.
    Also, getting some good shoes and changing them before they get too worn out will make all the difference.
    Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    How you improve the time is to run more. How you improve the distance depends on why you are currently limited on the distance, and my guess is that it's mental (always is for me on the treadmill). For me what helps is to decide I'm running for a certain length of time -- if you are doing 10 minutes, try 20, and then keep pushing it up until you are where you want to be -- and then just listen to music or a podcast or something and keep going at a nice steady speed for that time. If you are having trouble slow down a bit until you are comfortable for that period of time.

After that you can alternate with some interval-based workouts with faster running, which is really the only thing that is (IMadmittedlybiasedO) fun on the treadmill. I'm not a treadmill person, though -- when I got back into running in March '14, I was amazed because I'd been struggle to do much more than a mile on the treadmill and was immediately able to do 3+ once I was able to run outside, because my problem was mental (boredom).

Cadence/form can matter a lot for injury-prevention but is unlikely to be the limiting factor.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Thanks.

Polar Bluetooth Stride Sensor

Thank you!