Need breakfast ideas

Options
I'm running out of things to eat for breakfast and need ideas. I need something simple as we don't have a kitchen at work. I can't eat nuts as I'm allergic and I don't like kale. I can't do smoothies as I don't have a blender at home. Something low in sodium and carbs and high in protein. I already do the boiled eggs and yogurt but need to switch it up a bit. Help me out.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Ship breakfast so you can have a big lunch with food that suits the requirements or consider getting a blender at home.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You don't have to have "breakfast foods" for breakfast. If you have things you like to eat for lunch and dinner, you can have those in the morning.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    There's no way I can skip breakfast as I wake up hungry. If I don't eat in the morning, I'll start snacking on junk food to hold me over til lunch. So that won't work.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    microwave oatmeal, bake some egg muffins and just keep them in the fridge to eat each morning, cereal and milk, English muffin sandwiches prepared the night before and warmed the next morning, leftovers from night before, soups, salads, fruit salad
  • pauline0447
    pauline0447 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    it is not a good idea to skip breakfast,some fruit and a cereal bar are quite filling. My favorite brekkie is a slice of toast topped with chopped strawberries and banana drizzled with honey.I sometimes vary the fruit and often use golden syrup instead of honey.
  • amandabeaulne1
    amandabeaulne1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Microwave oatmeal always holds me till lunch.
    Try a protein shake? No need for a blender if you use flavoured whey and milk and/or yogurt.

Fruits are always good too. I like to have two clementines and a banana some mornings.

Even healthy popcorn is okay sometimes. Just pop it and go.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    -Oatmeal with yogurt and fruit
    -A yogurt parfait with nuts, granola and some frozen berries
    -An english muffin with peanutbutter and a side of fruit
    -A toasted english muffin with an egg, toasted deli turkey and some cheese! (I add tomato yum!)
    -Avocado Toast
    -Quest Bar and a side of your choosing(hard boiled egg, or fruit, or veggies)
    -Granola Cereal with almond milk, blueberries and almond butter
    -Egg and cheese breakfast Quesadilla or burrito!

I would really recommend pinterest! Just type in high protein breakfast ideas/recipes and a bunch will pop up! :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    pic47 wrote: »
    it is not a good idea to skip breakfast,some fruit and a cereal bar are quite filling. My favorite brekkie is a slice of toast topped with chopped strawberries and banana drizzled with honey.I sometimes vary the fruit and often use golden syrup instead of honey.

If someone WANTS breakfast, skipping it is not a good idea. But many people are successful without eating breakfast. It's just up to personal preference.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    MeiannaLee wrote: »
    -Oatmeal with yogurt and fruit
    -A yogurt parfait with nuts, granola and some frozen berries
    -An english muffin with peanutbutter and a side of fruit
    -A toasted english muffin with an egg, toasted deli turkey and some cheese! (I add tomato yum!)
    -Avocado Toast
    -Quest Bar and a side of your choosing(hard boiled egg, or fruit, or veggies)
    -Granola Cereal with almond milk, blueberries and almond butter
    -Egg and cheese breakfast Quesadilla or burrito!

I would really recommend pinterest! Just type in high protein breakfast ideas/recipes and a bunch will pop up! :)

Sounds good; only thing is I'm allergic to nuts. I've been searching online and didn't think about Pinterest.

• jerzak_c
    jerzak_c Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's NEVER a good idea to skip breakfast as one person suggested. Eggs can get boring after awhile so try low carb wraps with lunch meat and lettuce. Quick and easy.

• janejellyroll
    Options
    jerzak_c wrote: »
    It's NEVER a good idea to skip breakfast as one person suggested. Eggs can get boring after awhile so try low carb wraps with lunch meat and lettuce. Quick and easy.

Why isn't it a good idea to skip breakfast?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I ave a tub of Greek yogurt on week days. Easy, convenient, and high in protein. Plus I don't have to think in the morning--I just throw it in my lunch bag the night before.
  • killafitnessxo
    killafitnessxo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Ship breakfast so you can have a big lunch with food that suits the requirements or consider getting a blender at home.

Never skip breakfast its so important. Eating smaller meals more frequently is better than large meals .
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Never skip breakfast its so important. Eating smaller meals more frequently is better than large meals .

How is it "better"?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well, for diabetics, it is better to start with breakfast and eat smaller meals. The blood sugars remain more stable that way.

When I was looking at meal timing and frequency, world diets vary between one and six meals a day, and each culture does just fine the way they do it. I can't fin the article now. Here'a another one just for fun. Food Stories

I had the pleasure of reading the history of oatmeal in Scotland the other day and it was nice to have it confirmed that my ancestors made a big deal out of breakfast. It is my favourite meal of the day.

OP, you seem to be focusing on the few things that you can't have. There's a lot more foods in the world than nuts, eggs, kale, and yogurt.

There are a million ways to prepare eggs. We've got omelets, quiche, frittata, baked, and poached.

Use your eggs to make a protein pancake with banana, protein powder, and oatmeal. You can make ahead and package for the office.

How about oatmeal? It's a grain but it's higher on the protein scale. You can pump it up with Greek Yogurt and some frozen fruit too.

Or make overnight oats.

Find a recipe and if it calls for nuts, skip the nuts.

There's ham.

And non-traditional breakfasts, like a tuna salad or leftovers.

Get yourself a shaker cup so you can try shakes without the blender.

224c0412-6b44-4148-973a-1d8c8c2218dd.png._CB345533710__SR285,285_.png
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is not nuts they are legumes so you should be okay with peanut butter.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Brin1956 I wouldn't suggest that. Peanut allergy is the worst and it is common that people with nut allergies react to peanuts as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12097392/
  • Brin1956
    Brin1956 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @Brin1956 I wouldn't suggest that. Peanut allergy is the worst and it is common that people with nut allergies react to peanuts as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12097392/

But then you would notice it with all legumes. My sister is allergic to legumes not to nuts. Most people I know are allergic to one or the other not to both of them. If you get sick eating peas stay away from peanuts.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    In the winter, I like soup for breakfast.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Eggs and Bacon (I like turkey bacon)