Help! About thyroid and weight loss

Options
Hi everyone,

My thyroid is too small.
Does anyone have any advices regarding weight loss? I'm lost, I have just learned the news on Wednesay.

Replies

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    If it is underactive they will put you on medicine to regulate it. Once the medicine starts working it is like you don't have the problem at all. Same things apply for those of us with sad thyroids, eat less than you burn.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

Educate yourself on common mis treatments and what all of the tests that are needed to properly diagnose what is going on with your thyroid
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    See your physician, preferrably an endocrinologist.

You should be able to lose weight just fine with dedication and careful calorie counting. I have hypothyroidism and an another autoimmune disorder and i lost all the weight i needed to lose BEFORE i found out and was diagnosed.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »

Educate yourself on common mis treatments and what all of the tests that are needed to properly diagnose what is going on with your thyroid

One of the doctors who wrote a chapter in that book lives down the street from me, so I bought it. Really good information about thyroid, by and large. But there is some quackery too. Like having special sheets that make contact with the ground to balance your electrons. It also has some weird nutritional advice that isn't grounded in science at all.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

One of the doctors who wrote a chapter in that book lives down the street from me, so I bought it. Really good information about thyroid, by and large. But there is some quackery too. Like having special sheets that make contact with the ground to balance your electrons. It also has some weird nutritional advice that isn't grounded in science at all.

"earthing" or "grounding"?
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Regardless of if you have an overactive or under active thyroid, they will prescribe synthroid. It sucks and takes a long time to get your levels right. I had some very nasty side effects from it, but many people function normally after getting their levels right. Good luck
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

"earthing" or "grounding"?

Just looked it up. Grounding, page 133.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You gotta feed that puppy! Take 1 Iodoral tablet daily. all be good! :)
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    Regardless of if you have an overactive or under active thyroid, they will prescribe synthroid. It sucks and takes a long time to get your levels right. I had some very nasty side effects from it, but many people function normally after getting their levels right. Good luck

Convinced my endo to put me on Armour after two years of synthroid and no effect at all on my numbers; it's been magic for me. The most stable year in a long time. If what you are using isn't working, ask for a change!!
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options

They won't give Synthroid for an overactive thyroid, they may give methimazole or propylthiouracil (ptu) and in some cases a beta blocker.
  • riceflourde
    Options
    Bhlinebee wrote: »

Convinced my endo to put me on Armour after two years of synthroid and no effect at all on my numbers; it's been magic for me. The most stable year in a long time. If what you are using isn't working, ask for a change!!

Wonderful!!!
  • riceflourde
    Options

You should be able to lose weight just fine with dedication and careful calorie counting. I have hypothyroidism and an another autoimmune disorder and i lost all the weight i needed to lose BEFORE i found out and was diagnosed.

This is uncommon. It's very unlikely someone can lose weight with untreated hypothyroidism.
  • xmandylovex3
    xmandylovex3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. It just means we have to work a little harder.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada synthroid is prescribed for both overactive and under active thyroids.

Sadly I have asked about armour and a Canada brand here and all the docs look at me like I'm crazy and have no idea what I'm taking about. They are firmly in camp synthroid.

I've had terrible muscle cramps and weakness since going on it, yet they can't pin it down to the synthroid. I haven't been able to find an endocrinologist here willing to get down off their high horse long enough to consider alternatives.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options

This is uncommon. It's very unlikely someone can lose weight with untreated hypothyroidism.

It is possible, but difficult....I did it a few years ago. But it was really hard. I would eat like 1200 to 1500 calories per day and the scale didn't move for like 8 weeks. And I measured and weighed everything. Then it would move a little and stall. I lost like 4 lbs in more than 90 days.

I found out after I lost those 4 lbs that I had hypothyroidism. And PCOS.

Now I'm back at it (baby weight), and I lost 10 lbs in like 6 weeks. It's so much easier this time. Still have PCOS but my hypothyroidism is under control.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    eeede wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My thyroid is too small.
    Does anyone have any advices regarding weight loss? I'm lost, I have just learned the news on Wednesay.

What does your thyroid being too small mean? Are you hypothyroid or hyper? I have never heard that the actual size of thyroid matters.
    In any case, talk to your endocrinologist. The amount of nonsense you will read online, in forums, blogs, miracle cure books etc, it has no limit.
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    When your thyroid levels are too low, you might have dry skin, excess hair loss, feel slow, etc. When the levels are too high (they are constantly tweaking the amount of synthroid that I have to take each week!), your metabolism is running at a faster pace - lose weight easier and it sounds great, but it takes a toll on your heart and they'll have to cut back down again. So your blood levels will be monitored from now on to make sure you aren't too low or too high. But the good news is that increasing your thyroid function does rev you up and make it easier to lose weight.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    pineygirl wrote: »

It is possible, but difficult....I did it a few years ago. But it was really hard. I would eat like 1200 to 1500 calories per day and the scale didn't move for like 8 weeks. And I measured and weighed everything. Then it would move a little and stall. I lost like 4 lbs in more than 90 days.

I found out after I lost those 4 lbs that I had hypothyroidism. And PCOS.

Now I'm back at it (baby weight), and I lost 10 lbs in like 6 weeks. It's so much easier this time. Still have PCOS but my hypothyroidism is under control.

From the time I was diagnosed until my medication kicked in (about six weeks) I was barely managing to maintain on 1100-1200 calories a day. So while it might be possible to lose weight while hypothyroid (because CICO does work), it's incredibly difficult. Many of us would have to cut our calorie intake so incredibly low that it really wouldn't be healthy at all. Not to mention the possible increased complications from doing that when you're already dealing with a health issue that puts a strain on almost all of the body's systems.

OP, I agree that you need more information. I've never heard of a small thyroid. Enlarged thyroids (goiters) are quite common. If you're having difficulty losing weight, are fatigued, have hair loss and brain fog then chances are your thyroid is underactive.
  • wallingf
    wallingf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada synthroid is prescribed for both overactive and under active thyroids.

Sadly I have asked about armour and a Canada brand here and all the docs look at me like I'm crazy and have no idea what I'm taking about. They are firmly in camp synthroid.

I've had terrible muscle cramps and weakness since going on it, yet they can't pin it down to the synthroid. I haven't been able to find an endocrinologist here willing to get down off their high horse long enough to consider alternatives.

Um.....no. Synthroid is a man- made thyroid hormone they give people who do not produce enough on their own (hypos). They do NOT give it to people who produce too much (hyper).

What they might do if you are hyper, is "kill off you thyroid" with radioactive iodine or remove it via surgery. This would then make you hypo....and THEN put you on synthroid.

Let's hope this is what your doctor is doing/has done...because if you are truly hyper right now and on synthroid....that's bad. Google it...

Losing while clinically hypo is near impossible. Losing once your under control can be difficult at times....but that's true anyway. I still find most of my plateaus and off weeks are more related to loosening my calories than anything. Not all....But most. I truly believe I have to eat 100-200 calories/day less than the non-hypo but in the big scheme of things, that's trivial.

I also truly believe not all hypos are created equal, so your mileage may vary :-P