Pasta substitutions.

Options
jbuck84
jbuck84 Posts: 11 Member
Hi. I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and dr said to stay away from pizza, potatoes and pasta (all of my faves!) I have found some recipes using coconut flour for a pizza crust and will be trying that. However, I'm looking for pasta substitutes.

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I can't eat pasta at all either; it took a couple years to wrap my head around the idea that it doesn't have to look or even taste like pasta if I don't want it to, so I finally stopped trying to "replace" my pasta. Now I make a nice sauce, pasta for hubby....for me I'll usually do up a zucchini, squash or sweet potato, and pour the sauce over that. Less than half the calories, more nutrition....Took awhile, but I can't imagine eating it any other way now!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I tried spaghetti squash for the first time and it was really really good. It doesn't have a taste but it is a good substitute.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I tried spaghetti squash for the first time and it was really really good. It doesn't have a taste but it is a good substitute.

If you put some butter, salt and pepper on it, totally yum....my hubby will also drizzle a little honey on it :)
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash and zuchinni noodles...but I also don't really like pasta very much :P
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

If you put some butter, salt and pepper on it, totally yum....my hubby will also drizzle a little honey on it :)

I really love my spaghetti sauce so I don't care what's underneath LOL! But I will try it next time with butter salt and pepper as a side dish for some other dishes.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash with marinara sauce and served with meatballs

Or spaghetti squash sauteed in olive oil and garlic and served with meat of choice
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I use shirataki noodles.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest plating your food with a big salad first, then fill up around that.

Diabetes Create Your Plate

Here is a recipe that my meat-and-potatoes man gobbled down; a zucchini and eggplant bake. It's italian, it's zesty, it's delish.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oh, and rice can be as bad as potatoes. When you get used to testing you can check it out for yourself.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Try roasted sweet potatoes for the potatoes. It's a different texture and taste but you might like it.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are still carb heavy, just a little more fiber^^^/: try squash or black bean pasta(: or for even less carbs, shirataki noodles or zuchinni noodles(:
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I suggest plating your food with a big salad first, then fill up around that.

Diabetes Create Your Plate

Here is a recipe that my meat-and-potatoes man gobbled down; a zucchini and eggplant bake. It's italian, it's zesty, it's delish.

I've done this too, great tip!
  • jbuck84
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I use shirataki noodles.

I have read about these and seen them at my grocery. They are described as havin a gelatinous texture which makes me very hesitant to try them.

• jbuck84
    Options
    I have tried spaghetti squash. It wasn't too bad. I'm thinking bout of trying zoodles (zucchini "noodles").
  • jbuck84
    Options
    amillenium wrote: »
    I love spaghetti squash and zuchinni noodles...but I also don't really like pasta very much :P[/quote
    I have been thinking about trying zucchini noodles.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree there is not a pasta substitute I have tried that would make me give up real pasta. But I love spaghetti squash meals. It is pretty bland on it's own so it is a blank canvas for a number of sauces, flavors and cuisines.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/04/home-style-beef-spaghetti-squash.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/asian-spaghetti-squash.html

I like cauliflower for mash, creamy soups, rice, couscous too. Again not the same but very delicious.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/microwave-garlic-mashed-cauliflower.html
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/10/cauliflower-and-artichoke-salad.html
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jbuck84 wrote: »
    I use shirataki noodles.

I have read about these and seen them at my grocery. They are described as havin a gelatinous texture which makes me very hesitant to try them.

You have to not only rinse them first, but throw them on the skillet and dry fry them to get moisture out. I eat them every day and I'm bulking. I make mac and cheese, spaghetti, stir fry...Love them.
  • jbuck84
    Options
    jbuck84 wrote: »
    I use shirataki noodles.

You have to not only rinse them first, but throw them on the skillet and dry fry them to get moisture out. I eat them every day and I'm bulking. I make mac and cheese, spaghetti, stir fry...Love them.

Thanks. I may try them.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Lentils! I actually prefer them to pasta with spaghetti sauce