Any info on Gluten allergies or intolerance?

Options
Does anyone have a gluten allergy or an intolerance to gluten that they can share about? I'm wondering if it can all of a sudden "pop up" out of nowhere and if anyone has experienced a rash with it more than the stomach woe's I've been reading about. My stomach isn't as bloated since I haven't eaten anything containing gluten (since yesterday afternoon), and my arms and legs and back haven't been as itchy, either. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• christyg74
    christyg74 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with severe gluten allergies ( Celiac) at the age of 43 ( two years ago). Looking back, my stomach issues had been going on for years. Now, I can tell immediately if I accidentally ingest gluten, and rash is one of the first indications.

Sometimes, gluten intolerance/allergies/Celiac can cause unexplained weight loss but, I didn't get that symptom
  • aimeerhiannon
    aimeerhiannon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been reading a lot about coeliac as I have an appt with the doc next week about it. My understanding is that it can be asymptomatic for a long time and "creeps" up on you, and the rash is quite common, as well as other symptoms like fatigue and vitamin deficiencies, and it can occur at any age. Usually the symptoms wouldn't disappear as quickly as a day or two of going without. If you're having any kind of allergic response to food, then you should talk to a health professional. The most important thing is to not cut gluten out until you see a doctor as the tests for gluten intolerance don't work if you have already cut it out.
  • GlutenfreeOma
    GlutenfreeOma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have celiac and eat totally gluten free because I have to. I was told that if even you have the celiac gene ( I have 2), it takes some kind of trigger to set it off. The trigger can be emotional ( like stress) or physical ( like the flu, etc). I was diagnosed only 6 years ago, but I know for sure that I have had it all my life. I would just feel bad or I would get bloating after eating gluten. I was sick with migraines, fibromyalgia , brain fog and other ailments...all of which can be gluten related. If you are experiencing stress.. even because of the holidays... that could be the trigger and makie a gluten intolerance seem to come "out of the blue."
  • GlutenfreeOma
    GlutenfreeOma Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The rash is common with a gluten intolerance. Some people only have the rash. However, that is a sign that your gut is experiencing inflammation. Like aimeerhiannon said, you do have to be eating gluten in order to be diagnosed. The blood test, unfortunately, is not a good test...too many false negatives.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I am actually severely allergic to gluten, oat (even gluten free), barley and wheat. If I touch any, I break out ina rash. If I eat it? Let's just say I have had to be intubated due the allergy many times (throat closes). This allergy didnt develop until i was in my 20's. If you think you have an allergy, I would really recommend seeing an allergist to have it confirmed. It is possible it is something else you are reacting to, and it is better to find out for sure.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease (not an allergy) which can appear at any time in life. A trigger can set it off, like mono, pregnancy or a trauma, or it can appear for seemingly no reason.

Most celiacs do not get a rash, but in some celiacs it is expressed as herpetiformis dermatitis. DH is an insanely itchy rash that can occur. The area beside the rash can be biopsied and a celiac diagnosis can be given from a positive. Celiacs will have a greater chance of false negative blood tests and endoscopic biopsy if they have DH.

To get accurate blood tests you need to be eating gluten in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing so do not go GF yet. Ask for the
    tTG IgA and tTG IgG (tissue transglutaminase)
    DGP IgA and DGP IgG (deaminated gliadin peptides)
    EMA IgA (endomysial antibodies)
    total serum IgA control test
    AGA IgA and AGA IgG (anti gliadin antibodies) - older and less reliable tests largely replaced by the DGP tests

Get as many tests done as possible because these tests can miss some people.

Genetic tests will just tell you if you are at higher risk of developing celiac. 97% of celiacs have the DQ2 and or the DQ8 genes, but so does 30% of the world.

I would get yourself tested. Good luck!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you have the rash, Dermatitis herpetiformis, It is easy to diagnosis. The dermatologist can do a skin biopsy.
    The results of the biopsy gives clear results. :)
  • crissy976
    crissy976 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! Very good and much appreciated info! The day before yesterday, after going 2 days without eating gluten and not being NEARLY as itch as I was, I accidentally ate chicken that had a glaze on it that contained contained wheat, caramel color, and food starch. I never even thought to look at the ingredients because I thought it was just chicken. What could be in chicken, right? Wrong! An hour or less after I ate it, I began getting itchy on my elbows and severely itchy on my knees. Didn't eat any gluten yesterday and really didn't eat much at all because I really wasn't hungry at all. Today it's not as itchy, but itchy enough where it's annoying. I'm so frustrated with all the itching and my disgusting arms, hands, back, and hips. I've been taking Benadryl, which helps a tad, but really just makes me sleepy. So annoying.
  • crissy976
    Options
    g9gckth8kot7.jpg
  • crissy976
    Options
    tx847c2rc0w0.jpg
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Show the doctor and get it tested. Good luck.
  • aimeerhiannon
    aimeerhiannon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Because of how quickly you responded to ingesting wheat, it sounds like an allergy rather than an intolerance, but best thing is to get tested ASAP!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Talk to your dr, it is not easy to self diagnose. I have for example a serious allergy to heat, developed in my 30s. It looks exactly like your photos. Trying to figure it out by myself did not help, especially since it is not something that happens immediately after exposed to heat. You could be allergic to anything.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    As many have said, so much is put down to allergies/sensitivities - when it may have an alternative basis.

You say you have cut gluten, there will be other things which can cause problems within the foods you are now avoiding. Added sugar and yeast are two principal culprits I can think of. Recently I have become aware that yeast overgrowth, sometimes called candida which only really refers to one form of single celled problem has become short hand for something greater.

Anyone who has taken antibiotics, birth control, some pain relief product groups and more things leave themselves open to their digestive tract functioning less well causing an enormous number of health problems which cut across recognised health problems. Our general practitioners do not see yeasts as an issue in anyone in the general populations usually prescribing antibiotics to cure it.

May I suggest you try to find a doctor with a functional background or a nutritionist. They look at the body as a whole and not disparate systems. They will cut to the chase and find what is causing your issues often inflammation, treating the principal cause rather than try to elevate your symptoms with pills and creams possibly containing even more antibiotic causing greater imbalances.

All the very best
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Yikes! Sorry that you are dealing with this.
    Go to a doctor who is used to seeing this -- a dermatologist is one.
  • crissy976
    Options
    Thanks for all of your input. Great advice. Yesterday I absolutely could NOT stand the itching anymore, as I was almost in tears. I went to the urgent care center and the doctor there did a strep test on my throat, which came back negative, to rule out scarlet fever. I'm glad he did that. He said it's definitely an allergic reaction to something, and since I cut out the gluten and accidentally ingested it and had that type of reaction, it would appear that I found my culprit, but he said he's not an allergist and didn't want to give me that diagnosis. He advised, like a few of you did, to make an appt with an allergist to make sure that's what it's from. He also prescribed Prednisone (steroid) for the next 6 days to calm the rash down, and advised I still take the Benadryl, even though it's not helping as much as I would like it to. The Prednisone HAS calmed the itching and redness down quite a bit. Today I'm not in tears trying to scratch myself down to my bones! I'm still not eating gluten, though, as I'm terrified I'm going to have another outbreak. All that's left now of my rash are these bumps that are reddish/purple and I can see where I scratched open some of the little pimples. Gross, I know. I'm going to take my frustrations out on the elliptical today since I feel a little better and functional. But I'm going to take it easy. BTW, I've lost 7 lbs since my last dr. visit that was just a checkup! Thanks for all of your support and advice.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Sounds like you are closer to figuring it out.

Be aware that there are no gluten allergies but some people are allergic to wheat. Those with wheat allergies can still eat gluten from other grains like spelt or barley.

A food sensitivity reaction can occur within minutes to a few days later. Allergies generallly show themselves within minutes of ingestion.

When you see the allergist, see if they are aware of DH. Perhaps get tested for celiac too. Good luck.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I have food intolerance. I get flushing and nerve pain in my face. It was medically induced because I was wrongly prescribed a med that severely injured me. Trying to recover from that.