Tummy

Options
What are exercises for toning tummy?

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    eat at a deficit to lose fat. Do a whole body lifting routine. You'll tone your tummy along with everything else at the same time.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce so you'll just have to lose fat all over.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    You can't spot reduce so you'll just have to lose fat all over.

yup...and as has been stated, you should do full body resistance work rather than just trying to isolate certain areas.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Why is it that every time someone asks a question about a specific body part, everyone jumps on the "can't spot reduce" soap box?!

For core strength training, I enjoy planks in a few different variations. Also, in an aerobics class we do a routine to the song "Like a Cholo", it's a lot of fun and gets a good burn in the obliques. Even if it's not spot reducing, I can feel my core muscles being worked.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Why is it that every time someone asks a question about a specific body part, everyone jumps on the "can't spot reduce" soap box?!

For core strength training, I enjoy planks in a few different variations. Also, in an aerobics class we do a routine to the song "Like a Cholo", it's a lot of fun and gets a good burn in the obliques. Even if it's not spot reducing, I can feel my core muscles being worked.

The OP asked about "toning". In essence, the OP has fat on their stomach and wants to reduce that and firm it up. Planks may give you a strong core, but you'll still have a flabby stomach. Now, eat at a deficit to eliminate fat, and spend the same amount of time on a whole body program and you get the results the OP asked for AND get benefits all over the rest of your body.

Why do people focus on ab exercises so much when they benefit so little?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Because it's the truth? There's no point in blowing smoke up a person's a** and telling them otherwise. Spot fat reduction is not possible. Focused muscle building is possible but only when eating at maintenance or above.
  • yhealthy2000
    yhealthy2000 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been working out and eating right for about 9 years now...I'm in my 40s. I am fit and strong. How? Being consistent with my workout routine and making sure compensating for my workouts by feeding myself right. Total body workout like lifting weights is beneficial for you. You have to use your core to lift. Strong core is important, and good form is equally important. Just start with a good routine and give yourself time to see the change ... You will see it!! Good luck!
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    People are right about needing to lose fat but after you lose that fat you'll need to strength your core. Plank is probably the best. So work on these things at the same time. If your core is stronger it'll show through sooner in the process of losing fat.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The truth is that there really aren't any special secrets when it comes to losing stomach fat and the only real way to burn belly fat effectively is to focus on losing fat from your entire body as a whole. This is because there's no way for you to target fat loss from specific areas of your body. This is known as "spot reduction" and it isn't physically possible. If you want to lose abdominal fat, then you have to simply follow an overall fat loss program using proper nutrition and training habits. Over time your entire body fat percentage as a whole will drop, and you'll eventually end up losing stomach fat as well.

Don't fall for misleading advice that tells you that in order to get rid of stomach fat fast you need to perform endless ab exercises, follow specific dietary protocols or take over-priced supplements. The ONLY way to lose belly fat and get a flat stomach is through maintaining a calorie deficit over time and gradually reducing your overall body fat percentage. A properly structured fat loss program will allow you to lose around 1-2 pounds of fat per week, and this adds up very quickly. If you want to get rid of stomach fat fast then it just requires consistent hard work and a bit of patience.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Fat loss. Eat at a deficit. I have not done a single crunch or ab isolation workout throughout my fat loss, though I did lift heavy. The thread posted above is very helpful.
  • ksgast
    ksgast Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    jay_upi wrote: »
    The truth is that there really aren't any special secrets when it comes to losing stomach fat and the only real way to burn belly fat effectively is to focus on losing fat from your entire body as a whole. This is because there's no way for you to target fat loss from specific areas of your body. This is known as "spot reduction" and it isn't physically possible. If you want to lose abdominal fat, then you have to simply follow an overall fat loss program using proper nutrition and training habits. Over time your entire body fat percentage as a whole will drop, and you'll eventually end up losing stomach fat as well.

Don't fall for misleading advice that tells you that in order to get rid of stomach fat fast you need to perform endless ab exercises, follow specific dietary protocols or take over-priced supplements. The ONLY way to lose belly fat and get a flat stomach is through maintaining a calorie deficit over time and gradually reducing your overall body fat percentage. A properly structured fat loss program will allow you to lose around 1-2 pounds of fat per week, and this adds up very quickly. If you want to get rid of stomach fat fast then it just requires consistent hard work and a bit of patience.

• ksgast
    ksgast Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you very helpful. I have been eating healthy just have to be patient .