Visceral fat loss v the rest

Options
I've tried searching for information on this and maybe I'm not using the right keywords so I'm looking for advice here.

I understand that when losing weight, fat loss can't be spot reduced and you lose it according to how your body naturally wants to consume it.

However I'm wondering if visceral fat (fat located in and around your internal organs) is the same or does it work differently. For example, fatty liver is fairly common in the obese, would the liver use up its own fat before canibalizing other areas? Or would it shed fat more or less in the same proportions as the rest of the fat in your body.

I know brown and white fats are different so I'm curious if they get used up differently.

Cheers

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    It's a case where diet alone may not be a good enough route. Exercise is pretty necessary, and resistance training helps the most. This is maybe because of hormonal changes from weightlifting.

You also want to make sure you are not insulin resistant, or either eat as if you are already, so avoid high-glycemic carbs and get a lot of fiber (and exercise once again).

If there is a chance your testosterone is low, get that checked. I don't know the risks of testosterone supplementation, but low T does contribute to more visceral fat in men.

Resistance training and losing weight in general are the best bets, imho. But definitely find out about your blood sugars, because what you eat can make a huge difference if IR is contributing to a visceral fat problem. IR also ups the health risks a great deal.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm actually on a testosterone injection every 2 weeks (deletesterol). I'm also not allowed to lift weights right now due to my aortic aneurysm.

I'm more interested from a scientific perspective, as I lose weight I'm curious if the internal fat tends to get used up faster than subcutaneous fat, or do all the fats get used up proportionally.

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    There's a movie on here that gets links, a British special on weight loss, and in one of the segments the reporter had been diagnosed with visceral fat. The gist of the program was that it is actually pretty quick to metabolise away once you address it... darn I wish I had that link! I'll look around for it later. (One of the segments had a lady who swears she can't lose weight eating 'healthy' with her slow metabolism but when they give her some special double blind drinking water it reveals her caloric intake & she's eating WAAAY more than she's reporting. The whole show was pretty interesting...)
  • BuddhaB0y
    Options
    Oh I watched that... I must have missed the bit on the visceral fat. It was funny how she went on about how her friend ate twice as much as her and stayed thin, only to be shown that in fact it's her that's eating twice as much.

It was an eye opening video, made me become much more aware of portion control, I know I have fooled myself many times into believing I was not eating as much as I was.
  • madammags
    madammags Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The show @scolaris is talking about is this one
    The Truth about Food - How to be slim

Some of the tests they run are pretty dodgy science (most of them are just run as illustrations, and are based on actual scientific trials), but there is some good info in the programs. There are 6 parts all up, you can find them all on youtube.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    I'm actually on a testosterone injection every 2 weeks (deletesterol). I'm also not allowed to lift weights right now due to my aortic aneurysm.

I'm more interested from a scientific perspective, as I lose weight I'm curious if the internal fat tends to get used up faster than subcutaneous fat, or do all the fats get used up proportionally.

I don't know, yeah. There's something about exercise that uses a higher amount of it compared to deficit alone, but that's the only thing I've read in any detail about how it's burned compared to other kinds of fat.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    They are metabolically different! Visceral fat is more "dangerous" than fat elsewhere. Any positive changes to your habits and of eating an exercising i'm sure will benefit that. I'm for high fat/protein/fiber and lower carb diets, as that midsection fat is related to cortisol levels and insulin and how your body is using sugar.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    There was a thread on here awhile back pertaining to women and visceral fat. I don't have a link to the study, but it showed that women who exercised at least twice per week moderately (I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think I am close) lost significant visceral fat compared to those who just dieted. Dunno about men.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Visceral fat tends to be more susceptible to exercise than subcutaneous.

Are you on aromatase inhibitors?
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @afatpersonwholikesfood and @pollypocket1021
    That's good news!!
  • BuddhaB0y
    Options

Since I don't know what those are, I'm going to say no.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    I was just at a medical weight loss appt with my daughter who has several medical issues. One of which is insulin resistance/diabetes/fatty liver. The dr told her to eat low carb so that the liver would use the stored fat from the liver first. You may want to look at that.
  • pollypocket1021
    Options

Since I don't know what those are, I'm going to say no.

They are sometimes prescribed alongside testosterone and can impact where you tend to develop larger fatty deposits. (Visceral vs subcutaneous )
  • BuddhaB0y
    Options
    Oh that's good to know. I'll have to look into it.thanks for the info!
  • BuddhaB0y
    Options
    Ohh u know what I do know what they are... I was looking at them a while back. I was interested in taking clomid but my doc said he didn't think I needed it. I might ask him again since I have an impressive set of moobs
  • pollypocket1021
    Options
    Aromatase inhibitors are horrible for your health, by and large. If you are not one them, great. They can contribute to fractures and heart disease. But I see them prescribed in some men on testosterone replacement therapy, so I felt compelled to ask.
  • BuddhaB0y
    Options
    Ahhh good to know!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Thanks @madammags !
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    However I'm wondering if visceral fat (fat located in and around your internal organs) is the same or does it work differently. For example, fatty liver is fairly common in the obese, would the liver use up its own fat before canibalizing other areas? Or would it shed fat more or less in the same proportions as the rest of the fat in your body.

Liver fat reduction study - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21367948 - of the two diets compared the one with twice the fat content was better at reducing liver fat.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

Liver fat reduction study - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21367948 - of the two diets compared the one with twice the fat content was better at reducing liver fat.

Should be pointed out that study was only 2 weeks long, and we all know there are significant short term biological effects with lowering carbohydrate intake, I don't believe that conclusion should be taken as any kind of recommendation.

Also it appeared to compare calorie restriction with carb restriction rather than overall calorie specification in both and defined macro limits in each ..one group ate 1200-1500 calories, the other <20g c daily ..I missed the mention of fat though one would assume higher fat in the carb controlled group

So interesting but inconclusive and longer term, larger studies with more specificity in macro parameters and caloric stability are warranted