weight loss

Options
Hi guys im Kay , 19 years of age and i began my weighloss journey 3months ago.
Iv been jogging but now i enjoy brisk walking as i found out it is good for trimming the waistline. Eating the right food for me is my biggest challange thus far but im working on increasing the amount of fruits and vegetables i eat, considerably less fruits because they are packed with sugar.
Considering that now its the festive season its really hard to maintain a healthy diet. My problem right now is i dont see any difference in my weight when i look in the mirror but the numbers on the scale are gradually going down. It makes me happy to see the no.s on the scale decrease but i dont feel like iv lost weight. I dont know what to do and i hope MFP will encourage me to keep pushing and to never give up.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    What you eat does not have as big of an impact as how much you eat. To lose weight you have to eat less than you burn.

Unless you have a medical condition that requires it, there is no reason to restrict sugar.
  • kutlwanosamuels
    kutlwanosamuels Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ive always had acne problems so staying away from sugar really helps with that.
    I try to eat food in small quantities whats frustrating is not seeing any improvement in my body.. :s
  • rheaaxox
    rheaaxox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm rhea and I'm also trying to lose weight. I want to lose around 10-15 pounds but the thing is I never exercise. I eat how much I need to and what's right and wrong but when it comes to exercise I just want to quit. Any suggestions?
  • kutlwanosamuels
    Options
    Truthfully, i also hated exercising at first...because my body would get tired quickly and i would run out of breath quickly. But we are different, what works for me may not work for you.. Find something that works for you maybe something fun like aerobics or dancing...or try listening to music while working out..try different things untill you find one that You are willing to work with.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 90% the number of calories you eat

Health is the macro and micro nutrient breakdown of those calories plus movement

You can eat less and lose weight on the scale

You don't need to do specific workouts you could just choose to walk more to increase your calories out

But progressive resistance helps with body shaping and long term health
  • kutlwanosamuels
    Options
    Eating less will probably slow down your metabolism... The more you eat the better as long as it's in small quantities
    if you want to lose weight you need to rev up your catabolic metabolism which is the process of breaking down cells (fat) and transforming them into energy.
    Speeding this process up by frequently eating the correct food will help burn more calories...
  • Sued0nim
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Eating less will probably slow down your metabolism... The more you eat the better as long as it's in small quantities
    if you want to lose weight you need to rev up your catabolic metabolism which is the process of breaking down cells (fat) and transforming them into energy.
    Speeding this process up by frequently eating the correct food will help burn more calories...

I'm sorry but this isn't based in any scientific fact ....well there may be a glimmer of a scientific study at the heart of it but misinterpreted, misrepresented and tortured to create dieting woo I'm afraid

No it won't slow down your metabolism

Quantity of food at one sitting make no difference

Food timing has no consequence, frequency of meals no consequence ..it's overall calorie in against calories out that matter

You want to increase your metabolic rate, put on muscle...even then it's not that hugely significant

You want to increase your TDEE move more, workout
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

I'm afraid you're massively misinformed.

Although you are welcome to provide evidence to the contrary.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Iv been jogging but now i enjoy brisk walking as i found out it is good for trimming the waistline. Eating the right food for me is my biggest challange thus far but im working on increasing the amount of fruits and vegetables i eat, considerably less fruits because they are packed with sugar.
    Considering that now its the festive season its really hard to maintain a healthy diet. My problem right now is i dont see any difference in my weight when i look in the mirror but the numbers on the scale are gradually going down. It makes me happy to see the no.s on the scale decrease but i dont feel like iv lost weight. I dont know what to do and i hope MFP will encourage me to keep pushing and to never give up.

I'm actually the opposite to this. lol the scales are refusing to budget have done for weeks now. but I'm steadily losing inches from doing les mills combat 4 tomes a week. so I have no other choice but to tighten up the logging and just hope something gives eventually. we can do this
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ... My problem right now is i dont see any difference in my weight when i look in the mirror but the numbers on the scale are gradually going down. It makes me happy to see the no.s on the scale decrease but i dont feel like iv lost weight. I dont know what to do and i hope MFP will encourage me to keep pushing and to never give up.

Some folk take photos to help take notice of the effect of their weight loss. Perhaps this would help you too? Weight loss can be so gradual that we don't always see it until one day we realise we're down a dress size. Well done on the weight loss so far!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Measure percent of body fat to track real results!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options

Looks like you've lost 7 lbs. so far, and its been 3 months so that sounds like a fairly good rate. You may not notice it now, but as you lose more you will notice it.

If you have a picture from 3 months or more ago you can use that to compare as you lose.

Brisk walking is a great way to burn calories, and I have lost 57 lbs. over the past 11 to 12 months mainly from power walking and eating smarter. I power walk from 30 to 90 minutes a day at a pace fast enough to keep my heart rate at a cardio level throughout the walk. Walking is also the perfect amount of impact & movement to keep you joints healthy (even shoulders and elbows if you swing your arms briskly).

As mentioned by others, muscular training is also important to develop and maintain muscular health. I think the CDC recommends 2 to 3 hours of cardio & 1 to 2 hours of muscular per week to maintain a good fitness level and a healthy body weight, but even though you burn more calories with exercise you still have to eat less than you burn or burn more than you eat (depending on which way you want to look at it). I do way more than the CDC recommends because I was so out of shape and over weight that I need to do more to get to a good fitness level and healthy weight, and once I reach my goal, I can do the recommended to maintain.

It's also good that you are thinking about the types of foods you are eating. Healthy foods are always best, but there is nothing wrong with a treat once in a while as long as you don't over do it. The sugars in fresh fruit are not the same as things that have added sugar. Personally I only count added sugars and not natural sugars in fresh fruit.

Sounds to me like you are doing fairly well so far, but you could step up your game a little and lose a little faster. About 1 lb. per week is a good healthy rate of loss.

Hope this helps.
  • kutlwanosamuels
    Options
    But it is said that it's better to eat many smaller portions of food at a time than one large quantity...and if I may ask what is TDEE?
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I'm sorry but this isn't based in any scientific fact ....well there may be a glimmer of a scientific study at the heart of it but misinterpreted, misrepresented and tortured to create dieting woo I'm afraid

Food timing has no consequence, frequency of meals no consequence ..it's overall calorie in against calories out that matter

You want to increase your metabolic rate, put on muscle...even then it's not that hugely significant

• kutlwanosamuels
    Options

I'm actually the opposite to this. lol the scales are refusing to budget have done for weeks now. but I'm steadily losing inches from doing les mills combat 4 tomes a week. so I have no other choice but to tighten up the logging and just hope something gives eventually. we can do this
    We can definitely do this with great patience and determination. I wish u all the best just keep pushing and something will eventually be different.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    But it is said that it's better to eat many smaller portions of food at a time than one large quantity...and if I may ask what is TDEE?

It is not said by science.
  • kutlwanosamuels
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »

Looks like you've lost 7 lbs. so far, and its been 3 months so that sounds like a fairly good rate. You may not notice it now, but as you lose more you will notice it.

If you have a picture from 3 months or more ago you can use that to compare as you lose.

Brisk walking is a great way to burn calories, and I have lost 57 lbs. over the past 11 to 12 months mainly from power walking and eating smarter. I power walk from 30 to 90 minutes a day at a pace fast enough to keep my heart rate at a cardio level throughout the walk. Walking is also the perfect amount of impact & movement to keep you joints healthy (even shoulders and elbows if you swing your arms briskly).

As mentioned by others, muscular training is also important to develop and maintain muscular health. I think the CDC recommends 2 to 3 hours of cardio & 1 to 2 hours of muscular per week to maintain a good fitness level and a healthy body weight, but even though you burn more calories with exercise you still have to eat less than you burn or burn more than you eat (depending on which way you want to look at it). I do way more than the CDC recommends because I was so out of shape and over weight that I need to do more to get to a good fitness level and healthy weight, and once I reach my goal, I can do the recommended to maintain.

It's also good that you are thinking about the types of foods you are eating. Healthy foods are always best, but there is nothing wrong with a treat once in a while as long as you don't over do it. The sugars in fresh fruit are not the same as things that have added sugar. Personally I only count added sugars and not natural sugars in fresh fruit.

Sounds to me like you are doing fairly well so far, but you could step up your game a little and lose a little faster. About 1 lb. per week is a good healthy rate of loss.

Hope this helps.
    Wow what a great thing you've done for yourself there...well done and thank you for the advice.
    I don't really do much of muscular training, my main focus has always been cardiovascular training. People keep saying I won't see any muscle because of all the layers of fat I have and that I should decrease the fat layers then once they are down I can focus on building some muscle.
    And I have planned to step up my game because I also realised that my weight loss process was waaaaayyyy too slow. I don't really know how I could lose 1 lb a week...I work out everyday but the process is just so slow, it's really not easy.
    As a 19 year old, I see my friends and family eating all my favourite foods that I know I shouldn't touch because I have weight issues, makes me feel like giving up completely to live the life of a normal teen but Thank you for your advice though, it will definitely help me along the way.
  • kutlwanosamuels
    Options
    Oohh then perhaps iv been misinformed

It is not said by science.

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    To your original post, I think you just need to be patient. Sometimes we are our own worst critic and it's hard to see small changes when we look at ourselves every day. I second the suggestion to take photos as you may be able to see the change there more readily, and maybe go by the fit of your clothes. And, congratulations on your weight loss so far.

As for the other topic, I totally agree with the others that it doesn't matter when you eat, and what you eat is less important than how much of it you eat for weight loss. However, it's totally reasonable that you feel you have to eat "healthy" and "often" as almost every fitness magazine, website, etc. says that.

Personally I think the reason all the "experts" say that is because a particular subset of folks who we think of as very fit (fitness models, bodybuilders) have very particular goals that may be best met with that type of eating as they tend to pay close attention to macros (carbs, protein, fats), especially protein. It's very hard to eat enough protein with just 2-3 meals per day. At least it is for me - maybe for others it's easy. I try to get in 100-130 grams of protein per day because that is my preference (it makes me feel fuller and more satisfied). In order to meet those numbers I have to eat multiple times per day because I just could not eat enough protein in each meal to meet those numbers if I only ate 3 times a day. That's my totally non-scientific, non-provable theory on why that's touted around so much. Again, I eat this way due to preference.

Chances are your goals don't require that much strict adherence to a particular way of eating and it's fine to find a way to eat that satisfies you, keeps you full, keeps you in a calorie deficit, and that's sustainable.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    You will realise over time that there is a significant amount of rubbish spouted as fact in the diet and fitness world

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure ...measured in calories it's calories out

You can increase it by becoming more active ...walking places instead of taking the bus or car, stairs instead of elevators etc and by purposeful exercise ..your rip unending, cycling,swimming, zumba etc

You eat less than your TDEE to lose weight

Some do it without counting, they just eat less

Many here use MFP to calorie count

Log your food accurately
    Don't overestimate your calorie burn in exercise

Honestly meal timing is not relevant unless it helps you stick to a calorie defecit
  • kutlwanosamuels
    Options
    You will realise over time that there is a significant amount of rubbish spouted as fact in the diet and fitness world

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure ...measured in calories it's calories out

You can increase it by becoming more active ...walking places instead of taking the bus or car, stairs instead of elevators etc and by purposeful exercise ..your rip unending, cycling,swimming, zumba etc

You eat less than your TDEE to lose weight

Some do it without counting, they just eat less

Many here use MFP to calorie count

Log your food accurately
    Don't overestimate your calorie burn in exercise

Honestly meal timing is not relevant unless it helps you stick to a calorie defecit
    Alright, but isn't eating less not good for your body? I mean let's say I should eat 1200 calories a day are u saying I should burn 1200 or more calories each day to lose weight??