Carbohydrates???? Help

What's carbohydrates plz ? I'm always over my goal for this. I don't know how to do it..

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Fruit, veg, bread, rice, pasta. Almost everything except meat, fish and oil. You shouldn't really worry much about going over the individual macros unless you have a medical reason to do so.
  • briinabtch
    briinabtch Posts: 2 Member
    Typically "good" carbs come in fruits and wheat products, while "bad" carbs come in white carbs (white bread, rice, etc) and cookies/cakes. Going over your carb limit isn't that big of an issue unless you are eating large quantities of "bad" carbs.
  • twambi
    twambi Posts: 9 Member
    Oh okay! Thank you very much!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    The trick is to fill up your diet with the other things (protein and a little fat) and automatically the carb number will go down. So try and include a little protein in every snack, reducing the carb proportionally.

So have tuna or cheese with your crackers
    Eggs or ham with breakfast (I have a tablespoon nuts)
    Pick your protien at dinner and dress your carbs around it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Carbohydrates are what fuels your body. They come in the form of simple (sugars) and complex (starches). The main difference between the two is that the energy from simple carbs hits your body quicker. It has to turn complex carbs into simple carbs in order for the energy to be usable.

In practical terms, foods that have a lot of carbs include breads; cereals; pasta; sweets; regular sodas; starchy veggies like peas, corn and potatoes; fruits; etc.

There are no "good" carbs or "bad" carbs, just carbs. If you are constantly going over, try adding more meat or dairy to your meals and cutting down on the rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc. If you drink regular soda or fancy coffee drinks, think about switching to something else. I have my coffee with a tablespoon of half and half per cup instead of fancy flavors, and it is only 1 gram of carb for the two cups. Diet soda adds no carbs.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Carbs are sugar...plain and simple. Keep carbs below 100/day.
  • twambi
    Thank you, your answers helped me a lot!
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited December 2015
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Carbohydrates are what fuels your body. They come in the form of simple (sugars) and complex (starches). The main difference between the two is that the energy from simple carbs hits your body quicker. It has to turn complex carbs into simple carbs in order for the energy to be usable.

In practical terms, foods that have a lot of carbs include breads; cereals; pasta; sweets; regular sodas; starchy veggies like peas, corn and potatoes; fruits; etc.

There are no "good" carbs or "bad" carbs, just carbs. If you are constantly going over, try adding more meat or dairy to your meals and cutting down on the rice, pasta, bread, potatoes, etc. If you drink regular soda or fancy coffee drinks, think about switching to something else. I have my coffee with a tablespoon of half and half per cup instead of fancy flavors, and it is only 1 gram of carb for the two cups. Diet soda adds no carbs.

This appears to imply that there is one fuel for the body and that fuel is carbohydrates. That is not correct.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The trick is to fill up your diet with the other things (protein and a little fat) and automatically the carb number will go down. So try and include a little protein in every snack, reducing the carb proportionally.

So have tuna or cheese with your crackers
    Eggs or ham with breakfast (I have a tablespoon nuts)
    Pick your protien at dinner and dress your carbs around it.

^^ This!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    briinabtch wrote: »
    Typically "good" carbs come in fruits and wheat products, while "bad" carbs come in white carbs (white bread, rice, etc) and cookies/cakes. Going over your carb limit isn't that big of an issue unless you are eating large quantities of "bad" carbs.

Nope, this idea is incorrect.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    umayster wrote: »

This appears to imply that there is one fuel for the body and that fuel is carbohydrates. That is not correct.

Why are you deliberately confusing the OP? KISS
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Demonizing foods (eg: Bad carbs) is unnecessary and counterproductive, and can easily lead to disordered thinking surrounding food. Food is just food. No good or bad labels needed. :)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Did you mean this confusing statement? "Carbohydrates are what fuels your body"? That was not me.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Did you mean this confusing statement? "Carbohydrates are what fuels your body"? That was not me.

OP, carbs are what fuel your body.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Dear OP: you got the information you wanted, which was basic info on what a carb is. Please ignore all of the arguing.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited December 2015
    OP all carbs are fine, I eat them daily, have not died. I also lost 121 pounds and been maintaining for over year now, plus blood work and my doctor says I am in excellent health!!
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    twambi wrote: »
    What's carbohydrates plz ? I'm always over my goal for this. I don't know how to do it..

If it was ever connected to the ground with roots, it is a carb. Generally, if it grew underground it has higher carbs; above ground lower carbs - except for fruits and grains (both above ground, and both denser carbs). Processed carbs are still carbs (e.g. sugar [from cane or beets]- and probably usually higher carbs), flour [from grains] and it doesn't matter whether the processing is via humans or animals (e.g. honey which is pollen processed by bees).
  • I got all confused too until recently when a mate went through it with me. As said there's simple and complex carbs....the simple give you a quick fuel hit but then after a shortish time I crash, whereas the complex last longer and I have energy longer. Complex carbs are brown rice, brown pasta I think, ryvita, sweet potato, porridge oats. Based on my body stats and activity I have 150 grams of complex carbs a day split into 5 meals every 3 to 4 hours ish. I have 30 for my brekkie, then 40 for my lunch, 30 mid aft (this is where I used to crash before this plan) 30 for tea, 20 on an evening only if its more than 2 hours before bed. 100g sweet potato is 20 carbs for example. I find myfitness pal helps tell me what carbs to how many grams. Hope this helpsx
  • twambi
    Yes, thanks. I get it