arthritic 40+

Options
I'm 42 full of arthritis so struggle to do any exercise I manage small cycle trips is there anyone out there who is similarly challenged how are you managing to lose the weight and stay fit between the pain and stiffness and the extreme tiredness I'm gaining :(

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 53, have Lupus and other health issues and the key to not gaining weight is being REALLY accurate with your logging.

Bottom line if your CO are constrained by your health and you aren't able to have massive calorie burns doing sport, etc then you need to look at the input and go from there....

I'm sorry you are struggling.....being in pain sucks the life out of you. I have had to re-think my whole life the last few years.....I was an avid walker and went from my highest weight 278 lbs to 110 lbs using mainly this as exercise although I ramped up the intensity and duration as time went on. That came to an abrupt end on being diagnosed with Lupus.

Add in steroids (didn't gain weight because I still kept my eye on my CI).... DMARDS, etc etc and joint pain and there have been a lot of times where my main activity is getting my backside from the bed, to the toilet, to the chair and back to bed again.... :s

There is LIGHT at the end of the tunnel....I got help with PT and engaging an Exercise Physiologist to help with specific doable exercise that wouldn't cause more issues with pain etc. I have then been able to incorporate more or less movement within the house as my health allows - such things as weights, resistance bands, Yoga and meditation (although not exercise can be helpful in dealing with the stress and pain of illness - Just a thought).

There are many of us on here who struggle with health and have still met their weight goals an others who with patience and persistence have achieved amazing feats with strength and endurance.....so ANYTHING is still possible you just have to keep plugging away.

I hope this rambling reply helps inspire you to not give up....Wishing you all the best.
  • amandaedwards48
    amandaedwards48 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh my.... it has inspired me thanks so much, I used to be very healthy and active untill illness took over, I think iv gotten myself into a feel sorry for myself state and have been using health issues as an excuse...and to not even try any more.... thanks again for that wake up call... the time is now to plot and plan my weight loss and fitness, dig out my yoga dvd's maybe even start swimming again..
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have had OA for a good many years. I learned to live with it--no choice. I swim and do acquagym 4 times a week. I've recently started yoga flex and it's wonderful. I do alot of stretching on my own. There is always something you can do, and movement helps the problem. Good luck to you.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @amandaedwards48 My pleasure <3 I am glad I have helped.

Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences as well as many on here truly inspire me each and every day.

You are most certainly allowed to feel sorry for yourself....Grief for things past and lost is only natural and I still have pangs about the old me every single day....the trick is to re-invent yourself - sometimes every day and find the best way of tackling the issues that you are now faced with.

You sound very motivated and I have no doubt that with time and patience you will achieve great things. Swimming is an awesome idea.... <3 it...esp. if you have access to a pool that is really nice and warm. It will give you a great work out but won't be too hard on those poor joints.

Another idea I was thinking of was to get in touch with your Doctor and ask what sort of other services you might be entitled to access....this was where I got lucky.

Background - I had NO idea how sick I really was and how much my conditions had affected my bones so a solid year of very little activity, combined with lots of drug therapy left me with osteoporosis and after breaking my back last year I was able to get the help of 1st a Physiotherapist and then the Exercise Physiologist....they were great in getting me mobile again. Maybe you too could engage someone who could give you a personalized programme to work with....

Best wishes K
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    YES. Swimming can be good. Yoga also. <3 Peggy Cappy has a DVD specific for arthritis but I cannot recall the name.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I also have SLE (lupus) and my success in controlling my weight has been very related to my disease activity. I am grateful to my doctor for listening to and putting me on a prescription NSAID. It's made all the difference in in the world, controlling the heart inflammation and joint inflammation enough for for to start exercising again. However, I lost the first 25 lbs of my 65 lb loss (headed to 90) solely with strict calorie counting.

Even though it hurts many days, I walk every day now. Sometimes not too much, maybe only a mile because I really hurt and am exhausted. I started only able to do ⅛ mile twice a week, now I average six miles a day day on my pedometer. It's really helped. More stretching /yoga are really really helpful with the arthritis as well, maintaining range of of motion as much as possible takes more work but it's pretty critical for me.

Finally, I get plenty of sleep.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have health issues, the only thing that's helped me is walking. But if you can't manage that, maybe some gentle yoga would help. It's hard balancing health and exercise.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis and I'm 53. When I first was diagnosed, it was a wake up call. I was walking with a cane and horribly fatigued.

I walked, with my cane, down to the corner.

I did it again the next day. I kept walking. I eventually walked further and didn't need my cane any more. I took things very slowly and never pushed too much with the pain.

My first walk down to the corner was mid-August 2014.

I can now walk up to 8 miles. I've run a 5K. I also enjoy water jogging and do strength training.

With everything, I've just started slowly, and built up gradually.

Exercise has helped with both my fatigue and my pain. There have been periods of time when I couldn't exercise. I've relied solely on keeping my deficit going, and in the time since I started logging (mid November 2014), I've lost 72 pounds.

Talk first to your doctor about what activities are okay for you to do with your particular kind of arthritis. Ask if any particular moves are contraindicated. I personally recommend any sort of aqua fitness. Being in the water feels so good when your joints are acting up!

Best of luck to you.
  • amandaedwards48
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your messages , encouragement and advice , it has inspired me enormously , I have become a slave to my pain, it's time to find a new me stop dwelling in what used to be.. the plan is short walks, dig out my yoga dvd, and if I can find the time swimming, thanks again all I hope all your weight loss journeys are as pain free as possible and pounds fall away <3 x
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have some sort of autoimmune arthritis that started in my early 20s. It could be celiac related but it still occurred when gluten free. I also have osteoarthritis in my knees and hips, where the bone spurs can cause my legs to give out. The hip problems started suddenly in my late 30s but my knee issues are slowly getting worse.

Losing weight helped my knee pain quite a bit.

I started a low carb high fat diet 6 months ago. Sugars are inflammatory for me so my autoimmune arthritis is much better. I only had one mild flare up in the last 6 months and that one was right when I first changed my diet. My hip pain is also a bit better, but when bone hits bone, diet doesn't do as much. That being said, I play a bit of basketball, walk, and do P90X now. I do what I can, and it is easier to do when lighter.

I did very little exercise when over weight. It hurt too much and I was too sick. I found that exercise is not needed to lose weight. As a 5'8" woman, I cut my calories to about 1500 kcal per day, and cut my carbohydrates to 5% of my overall calories which reduced my cravings, appetite, blood glucose levels and inflammation. I was about 25 lbs overweight and was losing 2-3 lbs per week until I was well within a normal BMI. I am now under 150 lbs and losing 1-2 lbs per week with the same calories but with exercise now added in.

Exercise will help your fitness but isn't required for weight loss. Just do what you can.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Swimming, and/or a recumbent bike are perfect for you! I did cardio on a recumbent stationary bike for 6 months while a broken tibia was healing, and that was good enough to help me lose a few pounds and stay in cardiovascular shape. I'd never used a recumbent bike before but the upright bike at my gym makes my fingers go numb, and that can't be good. I'm doing other activities again, but I still like the bike because, no matter how long I stay on it, it never makes my knees, feet, hips or back hurt. (Also, I can read, knit, and check email while I'm exercising - recumbent bike FTW)!
  • amandaedwards48
    Options
    I have health issues, the only thing that's helped me is walking. But if you can't manage that, maybe some gentle yoga would help. It's hard balancing health and exercise.
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Swimming, and/or a recumbent bike are perfect for you! I did cardio on a recumbent stationary bike for 6 months while a broken tibia was healing, and that was good enough to help me lose a few pounds and stay in cardiovascular shape. I'd never used a recumbent bike before but the upright bike at my gym makes my fingers go numb, and that can't be good. I'm doing other activities again, but I still like the bike because, no matter how long I stay on it, it never makes my knees, feet, hips or back hurt. (Also, I can read, knit, and check email while I'm exercising - recumbent bike FTW)!

• amandaedwards48
    Options
    I cycle everywhere , everyday, I love it, its the only way I can get round these days walking kills my knees and hips :( as long as I stay in low gear and avoid hills I'm fine, but will look into recumbent bike thanks for the advice :-)
  • Mondoweft
    Mondoweft Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am a bit young for this post, but have had rheumatoid arthritis since I was a kid. While I exercise to help my mood, if I do too much then I need to have a rest day the next day. I make sure I take my medications, including paracetamol, as needed to be able to function.

Past that, for me it is mainly diet. I can't rely on being able to get out for exercise for more calories, so I keep to my deficit strictly. I manage the (close to) constant hungry feeling from the steroids by pre-planning and pre-packing my food for the day, so I don't have to make decisions when I am hungry.

And there are days that I stuff up. For that I have to learn self forgiveness, but that is still a work in progress.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am almost 45. I have arthritic knees which has been going on since I was ion my 20's. I also have it in my ankles and shoulders. Mostly due to old horse training injuries. I see a chiropractor and massage therapist on a regular basis which helps to keep me moving. This is important because I have a pretty busy/active life.

6 hours/3 evenings a week I train in a martial arts dojo
    5 days a week I work in a large facility, taking care of monkeys.
    2 days a week I am doing some combination of horseback riding and hoof trimming.

I do get sore a lot, especially in the colder months. But the more I move the less I hurt so I keep moving.

I also do hot soaks with epsom salts in the bath
    Use a SPOONK acupressure mat to help with muscle soreness
    Take a joint supplement daily
    Don't wait until I am in pain to take the Ibuprofen.

• Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 67 and have had arthritis for many years! I also have heart problems and high blood pressure! I walk with a stick for very short walks and have to use my wheelchair for longer walks. I watch what I eat and walking about the house helps plus I am on lots of medication! Some of them cause weight gain! I am still losing weight but very slowly! Have lost 2st 1lb in a year with MFP.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis and I'm 53. When I first was diagnosed, it was a wake up call. I was walking with a cane and horribly fatigued.

I walked, with my cane, down to the corner.

I did it again the next day. I kept walking. I eventually walked further and didn't need my cane any more. I took things very slowly and never pushed too much with the pain.

My first walk down to the corner was mid-August 2014.

I can now walk up to 8 miles. I've run a 5K. I also enjoy water jogging and do strength training.

With everything, I've just started slowly, and built up gradually.

Exercise has helped with both my fatigue and my pain. There have been periods of time when I couldn't exercise. I've relied solely on keeping my deficit going, and in the time since I started logging (mid November 2014), I've lost 72 pounds.

Talk first to your doctor about what activities are okay for you to do with your particular kind of arthritis. Ask if any particular moves are contraindicated. I personally recommend any sort of aqua fitness. Being in the water feels so good when your joints are acting up!

Best of luck to you.

Double this!

Walking is one of the most important things you can do if you have arthritis. And swing those arms too.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've had psoriatic arthritis since I was a kid among other autoimmune disorders. I find yoga, swimming, and walking helps. (Especially the yoga. I'll stretch right when I get up and right before bedtime.) I think the most important thing is to listen to your body. One day of overdoing it can mean many days in pain. Before, I couldn't walk more than 20 minutes without pain and now I'm up to an hour a day. It's a gradual, slow process but you'll get there. Take it easy and don't get discouraged :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I cycle everywhere , everyday, I love it, its the only way I can get round these days walking kills my knees and hips :( as long as I stay in low gear and avoid hills I'm fine, but will look into recumbent bike thanks for the advice :-)
    Depending on your knees, the recumbant bike might not be good. You will know based on how you feel.