Pegan / paleo vegan

Options

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Your diet does [not] need to participate in a special plan.
    Eat foods that you want to eat: fish and beans and quinoa. :)
    Eat veggies and fruits.

This.

Why are you worried about the labels? No, eggs aren't consistent with a vegan diet; no, grains and legumes aren't consistent with a paleo diet.

Yes, why? "pegan" is just the name dr Hyman gave to his diet. So, no need to be consistent with anything.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I eat Paleo but could not imagine Paleo Vegan! That would seriously throw me because all I could have then is protein shakes and produce, and protein shakes are not really Paleo if you look at it in a way that means eating unprocessed foods.
  • lizjohnstonca
    lizjohnstonca Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done the vegan paleo before and found it great. But really, when you so it. It's very similar to a keto plan. I found doing the 'pegan' diet was fun. I didn't do if to be like the caveman.

It's harder to find recipe ideas or food plans of you do it as a big selling feature of Paleo is, 'eat meat and eggs! And a lot of it!'
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I am interested to open up this topic to see if there is anyone who actually does this.

I have done paleo and I have done vegetarian but not together. Some say or encourage to eat eggs and fish which is a bit different for a vegan I imagine.

I would like to go meat free and I would like to go dairy and wheat free and soy free ( will try to go egg free but not sure) because I have some health issues and need to avoid those. So I wondered how this would work?

I know paleo generally says no to beans and all grain so I wondered if you are forsaking the actual meat and sub in the beans and some grain like quinoa, millet amaranth etc would you be considered still paleo? If you eat eggs are you vegan? I am not talking hardcore vegan like clothing and other things just food aspect.

I understand one would need to supplement while doing this. I may only do it for 40 days to see if I think I could live like that.

So if you have experienced this unusual type diet please share!

Your way of eating does not have to have a label.

I agree with other posters that you are unnecessarily complicating things. Don't eliminate any more foods that you need to for your ethics and your health, by which I mean true intolerances or allergies, not suspicions.

If you want to eat eggs, eat eggs. If you are concerned about the way factory farming produces eggs, buy them from a small farmer or a neighbor who raises them in their backyard.

But if you do eat eggs, no, you are not vegan. Legumes and grains are prohibited by the modern paleo diet WOE, but not by science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    But if you do eat eggs, no, you are not vegan. Legumes and grains are prohibited by the modern paleo diet WOE, but not by science:

nobody "prohibits" anything, but anyway, that's just a Tedx talk, this is science:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26269362
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

nobody "prohibits" anything, but anyway, that's just a Tedx talk, this is science:

The TED talk was an actual archaelogist commenting on dietary content in context.

Your link? Notsomuch.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Options

The TED talk was an actual archaelogist commenting on dietary content in context.

Your link? Notsomuch.

actually, she is an anthropologist.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

We are talking about two completely different things. Your link is about modern paleo for health; mine is about whether archeology supports the basis of the modern paleo WOE. (Spoiler - no, it doesn't.)

The OP was asking if she could be considered eating paleo if she has grains and legumes. For ancient paleo, the answer is yes. For modern paleo, no.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    OP why do the labels matter to you?
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Your link? Notsomuch.

actually, she is an anthropologist.

All archaeologists are anthropologists.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    "pegan" is just the name dr Hyman gave to his diet.

LOL, I didn't realize that.

Silly name, but OP if you want to try Hyman, just do Hyman and don't worry about paleo or vegan (which as janejellyroll says is about ethics).
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I have done the vegan paleo before and found it great. But really, when you so it. It's very similar to a keto plan. I found doing the 'pegan' diet was fun. I didn't do if to be like the caveman.

It's harder to find recipe ideas or food plans of you do it as a big selling feature of Paleo is, 'eat meat and eggs! And a lot of it!'

Oh it is interesting that you have done this! Did you enjoy?

Well I'm still doing research to see and what I'm looking at is this: a plant based soy free/ wheat/ gluten free maybe egg free diet.

With occasional meat as I become more vegan. I have more of a animal rights suffering stance like if I were not willing to kill it myself than maybe I should not eat it.

It wouldn't be a burden as my hubby is vegetarian and family meals at his parents are made with him in mind. Plus I make all of the foods so it would be on me.

My motivations are to see if I can become vegetarian possibly vegan in time as it is for health and ethical/karmic reasons. My thoughts aren't as extreme as some vegans though. I think I might occasionally eat meat like fish or chicken but I don't know yet.

Meat is a bit constipating for me and I've got lactose/ wheat/soy issues so that's the deal behind that and just trying to find what will work best for my digestive issues. And hormonal issues. I'm not trying to make it difficult. I think I'll find my way and who knows coin a new term!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Who says you've got lactose/wheat/soy issues?
  • Ioras88
    Ioras88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Paleo and vegan actually cancels each other out since modern paleo is simply a diet that tries to eliminate things that might hurt your body.
    For example, I could never eat beans because they screw up my digestion. A screwed up digestion is not healthy at all. Therefore, banning beans from my diet makes absolutely sense.

If you want to go vegan, just do it. Even 'vegetarian paleo' isn't recommended because it's tough as nails to go through with it.
    Just remember to get enough vitamins and minerals. Vegans have to be very careful with that stuff, especially if you want to lose weight.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    If you were to have meat occasionally, that's not vegan. Even I'm not technically a vegetarian (although I've pretty much been one for 8+ years), because I eat fish approx. once to a couple times a month. I think the diet you're looking at is semi-vegetarian, like me. Well, there's the term "pescetarian" for fish eaters, but for eating other types of meat... semi-vegetarian is what some people call it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Seems like an omnivore who just doesn't eat much meat.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    At some point they're gonna have to start classifying some of these extremely restrictive avoidance diets as a form of eating disorder.

ETA: Yep, they already do: http://eatingdisorder.org/eating-disorder-information/avoidantrestrictive-food-intake-disorder-arfid/
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    A *real* vegan Paleo should eat grass to help digest the bones left over on the ground.
    Best not to get constipated, ya know ?
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you want to follow the labels, you could not eat any animal product, including eggs and dairy, beans, soy, or grains to be both vegan and Paleo. So basically, fruits and veggies would be it.

If you feel restricting grains and dairy would be helpful, do it. If you want to eat beans, do it. If you want to eat eggs, do it. I've found that I can take ideas from different "diets" and tweak them to fit me. I can do Paleo, but I get bored and burnt out because of the prep, and, what was for me, repetitive food. But, I like the idea, so I work in some principals and eat foods that don't bother me, and do my own thing. I realized I don't have to be "perfect", the Internet Paleo/Vegan Masters will not find out and curse me. You just gotta do you.
  • mellowadam
    mellowadam Posts: 114 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you google it it's really not either diet. It allows grains so it not paleo. It allows grass fed meat do its not vegan. The doctor says he took the good from both philosophies and made a hybrid. The only thing it prohibits is legumes (except lentils) He recommends getting 75 percent of your calories from plants.

This is really stupid. By adding grains he's essentially debunking all the science the paleo camp clings to and by adding meat he's missing the whole ethical point of veganism.

Really they're basically just reccomending eating a ton of plants and lean protein. Which is what the ADA has been saying all along for years!!!!