I need help.. Can't find a balance :(

Options
groversa
groversa Posts: 450 Member
I need help. I am a 24 year old. I work full time at a day care with a class of 22 three year olds, so as you can imagine by the end of the days I am physically and mentally exhausted. I can't seem to find a balance with everything in my life to line up being healthy. Here is my normal day:
6am- wake up, get ready, eat breakfast
7am-work (I am on my feet most of the day)
1pm- lunch break (half hour, I bring my own food so I can eat veggies and fruits and more healthy food)
5pm- get done with work and do any errands I need to in town before going home
6- If I have time I make supper for my boyfriend and I
7- Get lessons ready for the next day, clean, make lunch for the next day and shower
9-start getting ready for bed and trying to go to sleep
(It usually takes a long time for me to fall asleep so I end up actually falling asleep a 10:30/11- and yes I have a dark room, turn off my technology at night etc.)
Sleep then start over in the am.

I went a long time without having many friends to hang out with besides my boyfriend, I've recently become good friends with some of my coworkers so during that 6-8pm time frame I sometimes have friends come over and watch shows or hang out.

I want to work out again but I am literally exhausted at the end of the day so its hard to get myself to go.

I'm going to start doing online classes on top of thing so that I can get my CDA to move up to a directors position at my job.

I just need advice on how to balance everything. I already only get about 7 hours of sleep at night, I try to eat healthy, I want to keep a social life with my friends, I want to continue my education so I can work my way up and I want to work out (which is the hardest thing to fit in right now with time and being tired). I just wish there was more hours in the day. My goal is to lose weight, I'm at the point where I am getting uncomfortable with how I'm looking and I need that to change because it also adds onto my mental struggles.

Anyway, ANY advice would be SO wonderful. I'm sorry this is such a long post!
Thank you in advance! <3

Replies

• ilovecereal1982
    ilovecereal1982 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Sounds like what you need is a new balance.....get it...New Balance...like the..umm...running shoe...
  • groversa
    Options
    Well thanks. That was extremely helpful.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    What about reducing your errands to 3 days per week, and on the other two, add in a progressive strength training program? Plus use a food scale, and weigh and log accurately.
  • lacost
    lacost Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also really struggle with finding balance in my life, so if other have advised I would love to hear it as well. A typically day for me is:
    630-7 wake up, get ready, commute to work
    830-5 typical work hours. I am "supposed" to get an hour for lunch, however have been really busy lately so usually take about 30. I try to go for a walk during my lunch break. Lately, I have also been working a lot of over time and have been finishing anywhere between 5-8pm
    630-7 - on average arrive home, make dinner, get ready for the next day, get ready for bed
    930 - 1030 - bed
    The big goal I have for myself right now is to stop working so much overtime. Some days it can be really difficult for me but I literally have to drive past my gym on the way home. Ideally, if I have to work late, I would like to finish in enough time that I can make it to the gym for a spin class after work. Easier said than done for me though
  • groversa
    Options
    What about reducing your errands to 3 days per week, and on the other two, add in a progressive strength training program? Plus use a food scale, and weigh and log accurately.

Thanks, it could be helpful to get my things done on certain days to make more time for working out. Thats the main thing I don't seem to have enough time or energy for.
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Get up at 5-5:30 and get a work out in. You say it takes you a long time to fall asleep and that happens to me too, but usually only on days that I've not gotten a workout in. Maybe working out would make you fall asleep faster/sleep better. You'd get a work out in like you want, but sleep might also come easier and counteract the fact that you're getting up a bit earlier. Could be worth a try. Good luck to you!
  • groversa
    Options
    oldsoul918 wrote: »
    Get up at 5-5:30 and get a work out in. You say it takes you a long time to fall asleep and that happens to me too, but usually only on days that I've not gotten a workout in. Maybe working out would make you fall asleep faster/sleep better. You'd get a work out in like you want, but sleep might also come easier and counteract the fact that you're getting up a bit earlier. Could be worth a try. Good luck to you!

Do you think it would be better to lose sleep to gain workouts? I would be willing to try, I just don't want to end up feeling even more exhausted.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I would focus on meeting your calorie goals. You can definitely lose weight without exercise. Since you're on your feet all day, you're not exactly a couch potato! With that said, though, if I were you, I'd "schedule" in an hour or so each of the weekend days to start adding in some walking or jogging. Don't kill yourself but challenge yourself to try!
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Could you do more lesson planning for the week over the weekend? I don't know how that works for you as a daycare employee. I know in my job, I basically lesson plan on the fly (because I never know how far my students have been able to go with their practice each week until I see them). Of course I have an idea of where I want to go, but it is largely dependent on them. However, if you could knock out even a couple days of lesson planning over the weekend, you might be able to free up some much needed time during the week and get in one or two workouts that way.

Balance is so hard! Sometimes I have none. I know that writing down when I will accomplish certain things is a really helpful exercise for me to do when I'm struggling.
  • oldsoul918
    Options
    groversa wrote: »

Do you think it would be better to lose sleep to gain workouts? I would be willing to try, I just don't want to end up feeling even more exhausted.

I'll almost always choose a workout over sleep. That may not work for everyone, but I feel so much better during the day (more energized) and sleep better at night if I've gotten a work out in. I've been getting up at 3am to hit the gym for over a year now. Before that I got up at 3:30am for nearly 3 years :# Internal clock is set I guess...I wake up around 3am most days whether my alarm goes off or not. It gets easier...I swear ;)
  • groversa
    Options

I'll almost always choose a workout over sleep. That may not work for everyone, but I feel so much better during the day (more energized) and sleep better at night if I've gotten a work out in. I've been getting up at 3am to hit the gym for over a year now. Before that I got up at 3:30am for nearly 3 years :# Internal clock is set I guess...I wake up around 3am most days whether my alarm goes off or not. It gets easier...I swear ;)

Holy crap! What time do you tend to go to sleep at night??
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Your career, seems like an exercise regimen; in of itself. So I don't believe that you should, exercise beyond that; especially since you're already exhausted. I'd advise you, to just focus on portion control instead; to lose the weight.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Your career, seems like an exercise regimen; in of itself. So I don't believe that you should, exercise beyond that; especially since you're already exhausted. I'd advise you, to just focus on portion control instead; to lose the weight.

That is pretty much why I suggested the strength training 3 times per week. Calorie deficit for weight loss, strength training to maintain muscle mass so you look good when you're done, and for health benefits like bone health and a few more calories to eat.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd either suggest waking up early, or if that doesn't work put aside a couple of days for errands if need be, but maybe try preparing lunches and dinners on the weekend and freezing them so you don't have to waste time with it during the week and that gives you an extra hour four a workout, and all you really need is 30/45 min
  • groversa
    Options
    Yeah, I'd either suggest waking up early, or if that doesn't work put aside a couple of days for errands if need be, but maybe try preparing lunches and dinners on the weekend and freezing them so you don't have to waste time with it during the week and that gives you an extra hour four a workout, and all you really need is 30/45 min

I've wanted to freeze meals or make them on weekends so bad! Buuuut I live with three other people and we all have the same fridge and freezer. So that doesn't work too well haha
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Do you work everyday? Maybe you can add 30 minute workouts in between?(If you have time) Since you are on your feet all the time, you are keeping active. But I think the little workouts may help you sleep easier?
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

That is pretty much why I suggested the strength training 3 times per week. Calorie deficit for weight loss, strength training to maintain muscle mass so you look good when you're done, and for health benefits like bone health and a few more calories to eat.

Since her student's are 3 year old's, I assume that there're many times in even a day; that she's lifting some of them.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You work 10 hour days? I've been a teacher for 40 years, and yes, it can be brutal. Here's my schedule for my job at teaching middle school:

5:15 Wake up without an alarm; coffee is automatically brewed
    5:15-6:15 Drink coffee, read the New York Times, browse other news, knit, read, snuggle with dog
    6:15 Shower, make breakfast, lunch and snacks for school
    7:40 Drive to work: eat breakfast while organizing for the day
    5:00-5:30 Drive home (I save all but vital errands for the weekend)
    5:30 Eat dinner, exercise, walk dog
    7:30 Settle in, maybe prepare for school if necessary (try not to work at night), knit, read, practice hobbies
    9:30 Go to bed

I feel like I have plenty of time for boyfriend, other friends, hobbies, school prep. I generally do my lesson plans on Sunday afternoons, so that most of my evenings are semi-free from schoolwork. It's not always possible as I teach English and do the school yearbook, but it's manageable.
  • oldsoul918
    Options

Holy crap! What time do you tend to go to sleep at night??

Usually around 8:30 :| DVR is my best friend :D
  • groversa
    Options

Since her student's are 3 year old's, I assume that there're many times in even a day; that she's lifting some of them.

Most definitely.