Pasta substitutions.

Options
2»

Replies

• jbuck84
    jbuck84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lentils! I actually prefer them to pasta with spaghetti sauce

Not sure I've ever had lentils. I will look into them. Thanks!

• jbuck84
    Options
    jbuck84 wrote: »

Well I just looked and they are a starchy carbohydrate which I am trying to limit.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    any veggie that can be spiralized.
  • Jgbarnhart
    Jgbarnhart Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    jbuck84, I had been watching a pre-diabetes glucose level for 2 years when I decided to try a ketogenic diet. I have been ketoing since September 3, 2015. So far, since then I have received 2 blood work-up reports at perfectly normal glucose levels! A great side effect is that I have also lost 25 pounds, and all my arthritic pain is gone - among other pleasing results.

PASTA! - I'm sure you know this is a definite NO if you want to avoid a glucose spike and increase your need for insulin. The good news is that there is an acceptable substitute!

I learned about Siratake noodles from one of Dana Carpenter's books (if you're going to buy one, get the one with 1500 recipes for your best $ value). I LOVE SHIRATAKE NOODLES and will never crave pasta again! The secret is to open the package into a mesh strainer (they have a fishy smell - don't worry about that). Then rinse and rinse and rinse, making sure to wash away all the original liquid they were packed in. When you think you're done, bounce the strainer up and down, tossing the noodles to get ALL THE WATER off of them. After that, dump them into a microwavable bowl and cook for 2 minutes. Take them out and dump them back into the strainer and toss again to remove the water that came out from cooking. Then return to the bowl and microwave for 1 minute. After the second microwaving, I always lift them up with a fork so that all the steam can escape from them. They are now ready to add your favorite sauce (alfredo with heavy cream, pesto, marinara - whatever! I have even used them with a Thai peanut, ginger sauce!

This may sound like a lot of trouble, but compared to bringing a pot of water to a boil and cooking noodles until they are al-dente, it is actually easier and faster with the added benefit of not having a pot to wash.

The noodles are sold in different shapes: spaghetti, fettuccine, macaroni, and rice. They can be found in health food stores in the deli section or where they keep their tofu for about $2 to $3 a package.

Shiratake noodles come in 2 different varieties, traditional (clear) and tofu (these LOOK more like pasta because the tofu adds an off-white color to them). I personally prefer the traditional ones because if I follow the above preparation instructions, I have never detected that fishy taste.

PIZZA! - Do not worry! I have tried MANY of the recipes for low carb pizza on the internet and nuh, I never found one I was really pleased with until I tried the one from Craig at http://www.ruled.me/kitchen-sink-low-carb-pizza/ (Every single one of Craig's recipes that I have tried have been amazing!) This pizza crust is SO awesome that even my son, who has a very discriminating palate, said he could not tell it was made without grains.

Be careful if you are going to use many ketogenic recipes because they all reduce your need for insulin. Many people with Type 2 diabetes claim to have used a strict ketogenic diet and eliminated their need for any medication at all!

Good luck on your journey back to health!
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Pasta Zero! Fiance and I had it with some Rao's sauce a few nights ago and it was awesome! Tastes just like the real thing. Actually, he even took leftovers with him to work and they lasted, unlike real spaghetti noodles which sometimes getmushy and suck up the sauce. Check them out if you're into them! here they come in a few other "flavors" and noodle type, if I recall correctly.

Oop, looks like the person above me mentioned it. See? They're good :P
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Moussaka is a good substitution for lasagna... just go easy on the bechamel sauce.
  • jbuck84
    Options
    Jgbarnhart wrote: »
    jbuck84, I had been watching a pre-diabetes glucose level for 2 years when I decided to try a ketogenic diet. I have been ketoing since September 3, 2015. So far, since then I have received 2 blood work-up reports at perfectly normal glucose levels! A great side effect is that I have also lost 25 pounds, and all my arthritic pain is gone - among other pleasing results.

PASTA! - I'm sure you know this is a definite NO if you want to avoid a glucose spike and increase your need for insulin. The good news is that there is an acceptable substitute!

I learned about Siratake noodles from one of Dana Carpenter's books (if you're going to buy one, get the one with 1500 recipes for your best $ value). I LOVE SHIRATAKE NOODLES and will never crave pasta again! The secret is to open the package into a mesh strainer (they have a fishy smell - don't worry about that). Then rinse and rinse and rinse, making sure to wash away all the original liquid they were packed in. When you think you're done, bounce the strainer up and down, tossing the noodles to get ALL THE WATER off of them. After that, dump them into a microwavable bowl and cook for 2 minutes. Take them out and dump them back into the strainer and toss again to remove the water that came out from cooking. Then return to the bowl and microwave for 1 minute. After the second microwaving, I always lift them up with a fork so that all the steam can escape from them. They are now ready to add your favorite sauce (alfredo with heavy cream, pesto, marinara - whatever! I have even used them with a Thai peanut, ginger sauce!

This may sound like a lot of trouble, but compared to bringing a pot of water to a boil and cooking noodles until they are al-dente, it is actually easier and faster with the added benefit of not having a pot to wash.

The noodles are sold in different shapes: spaghetti, fettuccine, macaroni, and rice. They can be found in health food stores in the deli section or where they keep their tofu for about $2 to $3 a package.

Shiratake noodles come in 2 different varieties, traditional (clear) and tofu (these LOOK more like pasta because the tofu adds an off-white color to them). I personally prefer the traditional ones because if I follow the above preparation instructions, I have never detected that fishy taste.

PIZZA! - Do not worry! I have tried MANY of the recipes for low carb pizza on the internet and nuh, I never found one I was really pleased with until I tried the one from Craig at http://www.ruled.me/kitchen-sink-low-carb-pizza/ (Every single one of Craig's recipes that I have tried have been amazing!) This pizza crust is SO awesome that even my son, who has a very discriminating palate, said he could not tell it was made without grains.

Be careful if you are going to use many ketogenic recipes because they all reduce your need for insulin. Many people with Type 2 diabetes claim to have used a strict ketogenic diet and eliminated their need for any medication at all!

Good luck on your journey back to health!

Thanks for all the info! I have tried a couple pizza recipes but they aren't close enough but would do probably. I will definitely check out the recipe you shared.
    I have seen the shirataki noodles but have been hesitant on trying them because they are described as having a gelatinous texture.
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    They do have a gelatinous texture, but not in a bad way. I don't find them off-putting at all, tbh. They just remind me of those little glass noodles you get in the asian isle, just thicker. They're flavorless though, which is nice because they can be added to basically anything.

I actually just finished making some chicken broccoli alfredo with these noodles. Yum yum! And it was my first meal using heavy cream, so yay there.
  • rj9863
    rj9863 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound amazing but if you peel courgettes with a peeler into thin strips and boil them till soft I love to then put this in a salad, salmon filets and sometimes a bit of feta cheese (but not too much)! This is so yum and I use courgettes as a pasta substitute in for some meals ☺️
  • jbuck84
    Options
    At the risk of sounding dumb what is a courgette?
  • jbuck84
    Options
    At the risk of sounding dumb what is a courgette?

We call it zucchini.

Oh okay. I was thinking about trying that.

• CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You have to try zucchini noodles - get a spiralizer! I used to eat spaghetti squash and shiritaki noodles but nothing beats zucchini:) (well, except "real" pasta which I rarely eat anymore! LOL)
  • jbuck84
    Options
    I will be trying zucchini noodles once I remember to get the spiralizer and zucchini lol.
  • OliverMol
    OliverMol Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can't eat pasta at all either; it took a couple years to wrap my head around the idea that it doesn't have to look or even taste like pasta if I don't want it to, so I finally stopped trying to "replace" my pasta. Now I make a nice sauce, pasta for hubby....for me I'll usually do up a zucchini, squash or sweet potato, and pour the sauce over that. Less than half the calories, more nutrition....Took awhile, but I can't imagine eating it any other way now!

This. Focus on what you want: in stead of thinking Do I want pasta or not? Think Do I better like zucchini or broccoli?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options

Well I just looked and they are a starchy carbohydrate which I am trying to limit.

Lentils are 27% protein
    ! For a vegetable, that's darn good! Dietitians love recommending them because they are also full of fiber.

What were you planning on living off of? Egg whites?