I'm never hungry for breakfast!

Options
I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And I've heard your supposed to eat like a king at breakfast a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner but I am never hungry when I wake up! I usually drink a cup of coffee with a little creamer and that holds me over for 2 hours. Any advice on what I should do?

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    None of that matters. If you aren't hungry for breakfast, don't eat it. I don't eat until noon and I stop eating at 8 pm. I've been very successful eating this way.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry for breakfast, don't eat it!

Meal timing is completely irrelevant for weight loss. Your biggest meal can be in the morning, at lunch or in the evening - it's a purely individual thing.

~Lyssa
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Don't eat if you're not hungry, it really isn't that big of a deal. As long as not eating breakfast isn't causing you to snack uncontrollably until lunch time you're fine.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Why is breakfast the most important meal of the day? Calorie deficit is the science of weight loss and not when you eat.
  • rguzame
    rguzame Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »
    None of that matters. If you aren't hungry for breakfast, don't eat it. I don't eat until noon and I stop eating at 8 pm. I've been very successful eating this way.

Oh good I am really buckling down now and I want to set myself up for success. I will start a cut off time too. Thanks!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    rguzame wrote: »
    I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And I've heard your supposed to eat like a king at breakfast a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner...

Those are both myths.

Eat when you're hungry. It truly doesn't matter.

• hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    That's fine. As long as you're meeting your caloric goal at the end of the day, it doesn't matter
  • Debmal77
    edited December 2015
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »

You are in a calorie deficit and that is why you are successful. What time you eat has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • rguzame
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Why is breakfast the most important meal of the day? Calorie deficit is the science of weight loss and not when you eat.

I hired a personal trainer years ago who said your body hasn't eaten for over eight hours and you need eat within 30 mins of waking to start your metabolism or your body will go into starvation mode. She said you would lose muscle vs. fat and she called it skinny fat.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I hired a personal trainer years ago who said your body hasn't eaten for over eight hours and you need eat within 30 mins of waking to start your metabolism or your body will go into starvation mode. She said you would lose muscle vs. fat and she called it skinny fat.

That's all broscience. If your metabolism needs started, you're dead.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    It's your own rhythm. You could change it if you wanted to.
    If you get up earlier, exercise, shower and dress, then you'll have more of an appetite.
  • Debmal77
    Options

Get a new trainer. There is no such thing as starvation mode. You will not lose muscle because you chose not to eat breakfast.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, hasn't stopped me losing over 70lbs! It's a myth and has been thoroughly debunked. Eat when it suits you.
  • Nikki10129
    Options

If your metabolism wasn't running when you wake up you'd be dead. You're body doesn't go into starvation mode from fasting for 8 hours (if you are so fortunate to get that much sleep ;) ), losing muscle is an inevitable part of weight loss no matter the time of day you eat, the only way to minimize muscle loss is to incorporate resistance training into your routine and ensure you are getting enough protein throughout the entire day.

If you aren't a professional athlete meal timing is irrelevant
  • Debmal77
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

That's all broscience. If your metabolism needs started, you're dead.

Exactly.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

So much woo in that one little post. I hope you got your money back.

Some people like breakfast, some don't. I am the only one in my house who eats breakfast. It doesn't matter how much I eat, 80 calories of milk in coffee or a 3000 calorie easter feast, I still consume the vast majority of my calories at lunch. So if I make myself 'eat like a king' at breakfast, I will certainly gain weight.

Also, you don't need a cut off time. There is no magical time at which your body suddenly metabolize food differently.
  • rguzame
    Options
    Thanks everyone losing weight has been a bit stressful and taking the unneeded science out of it may be just what I need!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

That trainer knows nothing about metabolism or nutrition -- only whatever garbage that gets repeated often enough until some people believe it to be true.
    We can be successful by eating whenever we want.

• Nikki10129
    Options
    Thanks everyone losing weight has been a bit stressful and taking the unneeded science out of it may be just what I need!

It really is as simple as calories in < calories out and you will lose weight.
    If you burn more than you consume you will lose weight, doesn't matter if the food is some cake or broccoli, monster calories and stay under your daily limit
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And I've heard your supposed to eat like a king at breakfast a prince for lunch and a pauper for dinner but I am never hungry when I wake up! I usually drink a cup of coffee with a little creamer and that holds me over for 2 hours. Any advice on what I should do?

Instead of eating when you first wake up, eat two hours later.
    Maybe have a big lunch.
    In other words, eat according to your own body's signals.