I need help.. Can't find a balance :(

Options

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Even teaching junior high can be physically exhausting even though I don't pick up my students. I walk around all day, kneel down at desks, move crap around. As for working would, I try sometimes to do half in the morning and half in the evening.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I work with little ones too. On the days I workout I'm usually out for about 13 hours door to door. If you want it, you'll get it.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    groversa wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd either suggest waking up early, or if that doesn't work put aside a couple of days for errands if need be, but maybe try preparing lunches and dinners on the weekend and freezing them so you don't have to waste time with it during the week and that gives you an extra hour four a workout, and all you really need is 30/45 min

I've wanted to freeze meals or make them on weekends so bad! Buuuut I live with three other people and we all have the same fridge and freezer. So that doesn't work too well haha

Well that's rough, living with just one roommate and that freezer space gets crammed. Just a thought, because I'm guessing you all have designated space, make a very particular grocery list so that there are no leftovers of the uncooked stuff so that all you're storing in the fridge are cooked meals, if you're going to be eating it within the week it really doesn't need to be frozen, and then without all of the lose ingredients it should take up less space anyways.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, the most important thing for losing weight is what you eat, so focus first on getting that in line. As others have said, your job provides a lot of physical activity, so just fit in exercise where you can - on the weekends, a couple of times per week instead of errands. Making sure you are in a calorie deficit will make the most difference.

And you didn't ask for help with the sleep thing, but...you might try 10-15 minutes of breathing exercises and basic meditation before you try to sleep, it works wonders for me.

Hang in there, you can do this!
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! This is helpful
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It doesn't look like you have time after work, so could you try waking up earlier for a workout in the morning? It may also help you to fall asleep earlier too in the evenings. At least try it for a few weeks, see how you feel. :)
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you're physically exhausted every day, it seems like there are two possibilities: (1) you're already getting all the physical exercise you need running around after toddlers, or (2) finding a way to work in at least one or two exercise sessions on the weekends would energize and strengthen whatever parts of your body are neglected by your weekday routine. But I think the commenters above hit on the important point: calorie control all by itself will reduce weight, and then if you're lighter you might feel less exhausted, not to mention happier in general. And calorie control can be more about portion control than any major time-consuming change in how you cook.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    First of all, bless you! Just reading "I work full time at a day care with a class of 22 three year olds" sent me into a state of exhaustion. I can't even keep up with my two youngest grandchildren (2 1/2 and 1) at the same time.

As others have said, with as much activity as you do every day the place to focus on right now is your diet. No special foods or elaborate pre-made meals are needed. Eat what you like, but eat less of it. Log it all here and you'll see the areas where you are doing well and where you need to make improvement. Once the diet improves, your energy level should follow.

With your new friends, instead of watching TV can you do exercise videos or online routines at home together?
  • groversa
    Options
    Thanks!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I work two jobs and it isn't quite unusual for me to sometimes work 4:30am to 3pm then 5pm to 12am. I understand the time-struggle.

I would focus on your food intake/nutrition and only worry about exercise on weekends where you might have some free time. You don't need to go to the gym everyday to lose weight or be healthy - especially with the sort of work you do! You can lose weight through diet alone!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Since she is as exhausted & as active as she is for work, I believe that it'd be unhealthy; for her to exercise beyond that. She should be spending her weekends resting/recovering, not putting more strain on her body; by exercising.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Since she is as exhausted & as active as she is for work, I believe that it'd be unhealthy; for her to exercise beyond that. She should be spending her weekends resting/recovering, not putting more strain on her body; by exercising.

I disagree that adding some strength training would be harmful. I know people with far harder schedules that make it work, btw. Anything is possible when you want it bad enough.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I disagree that adding some strength training would be harmful. I know people with far harder schedules that make it work, btw. Anything is possible when you want it bad enough.

I consider lifting 3 year old's, strength training. I believe that her exhaustion, proves that she's already doing enough (for "HER" body), if not too much. She could burn out. It doesn't matter what we desire, if our bodies can't achieve it and/or we disable ourselves, from overdoing it; in the process. Even if she had the time & others have the strength, to handle it, that doesn't mean that she can. We all have limitations & they aren't all the same, as everyone else's. Suggesting that she can do what other's can, isn't accurate & thus blames her, for not having that ability. We don't get to choose our abilities, we just get to choose; whether or not we use them.

Here's an example of what I mean: 2 men were shot in the head, in the same spot. 1 survives, the other died. The 1 whom died, was happily married, had 2 children, a great career & friends. While the 1 whom survived was homeless & recently attempted suicide. Would you be suggesting that it wasn't fate but rather that the successful man, didn't have enough of a will to live; as the homeless man did to survive & therefore it's the deceased man's fault, for not surviving because a homeless man with nothing to live for survived, the same injury? Sometimes just because there's a will, doesn't mean there's always a way; to achieve something & it doesn't mean that it's our fault, if we can't.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

I consider lifting 3 year old's, strength training. I believe that her exhaustion, proves that she's already doing enough (for "HER" body), if not too much. She could burn out. It doesn't matter what we desire, if our bodies can't achieve it and/or we disable ourselves, from overdoing it; in the process. Even if she had the time & others have the strength, to handle it, that doesn't mean that she can. We all have limitations & they aren't all the same, as everyone else's. Suggesting that she can do what other's can, isn't accurate & thus blames her, for not having that ability. We don't get to choose our abilities, we just get to choose; whether or not we use them.

Here's an example of what I mean: 2 men were shot in the head, in the same spot. 1 survives, the other died. The 1 whom died, was happily married, had 2 children, a great career & friends. While the 1 whom survived was homeless & recently attempted suicide. Would you be suggesting that it wasn't fate but rather that the successful man, didn't have enough of a will to live; as the homeless man did to survive & therefore it's the deceased man's fault, for not surviving because a homeless man with nothing to live for survived, the same injury? Sometimes just because there's a will, doesn't mean there's always a way; to achieve something.

Wow, that was a jump.

The OP said she wants to work out. If she re-organizes her time, it is possible. She doesn't need to do hours of cardio, weight loss is achieved through calorie control, but there are still some benefits to strength training, on top of lifting 3 year olds. In fact, it might be possible that strength training would reduce the risk of injury or strain as she ages.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I get up each weekday at 4:45am to squeeze in some kind of activity....2 days a week it's strength training at the gym...other times it's just a 30-minute walk...It's the *only* time I know I will "get it done"...otherwise I will find every excuse in the book!

Another suggestion...maybe don't worry about "working out" at this stage in your life...I mean, move and be active but don't feel guilty about not having the time...80% of weight and health is about what we EAT. So just keep that in balance.

I concur with Kate above me^^^
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Op- I own a cleaning service. I'm up at 530 am , take my kid to school and clean all day until 6pm. Then I go to the gym for 45 mins , come home and clean ,Cook and all the mom things. I also serve drinks at night part time. So I go from one job to the next sometimes and end up working 12-15 hrs those days.
    I want to make time for the gym so I do it. I make 45 mins three days per week. Even if I have to wake-up earlier or go to bed later. Even if I have to miss out on hanging with friends at times .
    So yeah, where there's a will, there's a way.
    Am I freaking exhausted? Of coarse I am.
    If your too tired after caring for toddlers all day then try working out before work. At the very least , what about weekends ?
    I get that life gets in the way sometimes but if you really want something you will find a way to achieve it.
    Do you think your the only teacher in the world who is tired after caring for small kids? No, there's tons of them who still find a way so therefore you can too .
  • groversa
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My problem was never thinking I'm the only one with this problem. Obviously I know there are other people feeling this way, the post was hoping some people who have figured it out could shed some light, not to have people tell me that I'm not the only one. The post is asking for advice on how to do this WITHOUT continuing to wear myself out. I asked for advice on how to find balance with all of this. So repeating that I'm exhausted and giving a so what response to that gives no help to me. Thanks anyway.
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    What about reducing your errands to 3 days per week, and on the other two, add in a progressive strength training program? Plus use a food scale, and weigh and log accurately.

This is exactly what I would do.
    I would schedule all errands for three days and take that extra hour on the 4 left over and workout( even if she worked out only 2 of the 4 leftover days. I'm counting weekends because most day care centers are not open on weekends )
    I would definitely begin a strength training program! but even if you got some kettlebells and did some routines at home , that would be a great start !!
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    My problem was never thinking I'm the only one with this problem. Obviously I know there are other people feeling this way, the post was hoping some people who have figured it out could shed some light, not to have people tell me that I'm not the only one. The post is asking for advice on how to do this WITHOUT continuing to wear myself out. I asked for advice on how to find balance with all of this. So repeating that I'm exhausted and giving a so what response to that gives no help to me. Thanks anyway.

I did show you how I've managed to find time in my schedule for my workouts. I gave you a short run down of my day and showed you where I fit my gym time in. Then I also suggested waking up a bit earlier to do it then since you are tired after work. I also mentioned weekends .
    But instead you picked out the sentence of not being the only one who is busy. Which your not. If we've all figured it out, surely you can to!!

• groversa
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

I did show you how I've managed to find time in my schedule for my workouts. I gave you a short run down of my day and showed you where I fit my gym time in. Then I also suggested waking up a bit earlier to do it then since you are tired after work. I also mentioned weekends .
    But instead you picked out the sentence of not being the only one who is busy. Which your not. If we've all figured it out, surely you can to!!

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to seem like a B, I'm usually more optimistic than pessimistic, I just felt offended after reading that and replied in a negative way. Thank you for your advice.