I'm never hungry for breakfast!

Options

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I typically have some soy milk or coconut milk and a piece of fruit for a light breakfast. Then I have a sizable protein filled snack mid morning at work: cheese, nuts, whole-grain bread or flatbread. Reasonable lunch with turkey, assorted veggies with guacamole, and some oatmeal for an afternoon snack. Dinner varies, usually a veggie and a turkey burger or something like that, and a protein powder smoothie for an evening snack. Once or twice a week I'll have eggs and bacon for breakfast. This approach works for me, as others have said, it depends on your own body signals. If you wake up starved, breakfast is probably a good idea. If not, why force yourself to eat?
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    taracan25 wrote: »
    None of that matters. If you aren't hungry for breakfast, don't eat it. I don't eat until noon and I stop eating at 8 pm. I've been very successful eating this way.

You are in a calorie deficit and that is why you are successful. What time you eat has nothing to do with weight loss.

I wasn't insinuating that eating this way is WHY I'm losing. I was pointing out that eating this way doesn't stop progress due to those stupid myths about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Obviously not eating breakfast doesn't mean you can't lose weight.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    None of that matters. If you aren't hungry for breakfast, don't eat it. I don't eat until noon and I stop eating at 8 pm. I've been very successful eating this way.

What matters with weight loss is a calorie deficit not the time you start or finish eating.
  • tara_means_star
    Options

What matters with weight loss is a calorie deficit not the time you start or finish eating.

Her post made it sound like she thought if she didn't eat breakfast she wouldn't lose weight. I only gave the times I start and stop eating to show that times don't matter. I didn't say that the time mattered...in fact my point was that the time you start eating DOESNT matter.
  • Debmal77
    Options

Her post made it sound like she thought if she didn't eat breakfast she wouldn't lose weight. I only gave the times I start and stop eating to show that times don't matter. I didn't say that the time mattered...in fact my point was that the time you start eating DOESNT matter.

op needs the facts of weight loss and not broscience. The time you stop does not matter also.
  • cjsgrimlin1
    cjsgrimlin1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

op needs the facts of weight loss and not broscience. The time you stop does not matter also.

NO but it can have an effect on wither or not you have indigestion keeping you up at night which some people choose to not eat after a certain time to allow food to digest before they lie down. Don't criticize her for having a stop time just because she wants to.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    Please read my post. I did NOT say it matters. It does not matter which was my whole point. Please read before you criticize. We are saying the same thing. I chose to cut my time off because it helps me stay in a deficit not because of some stupid "bro science" thing.
  • Debmal77
    Options

NO but it can have an effect on wither or not you have indigestion keeping you up at night which some people choose to not eat after a certain time to allow food to digest before they lie down. Don't criticize her for having a stop time just because she wants to.

op did not state she had any reflux problem. Where did I criticize her? op needs the facts and that is what I have stated.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

I think you are making far too much of this. The person, much like others, said that it didn't matter then gave an example of eating that did not fit with the "You have to have breakfast within 30 minutes of waking." The OP misunderstood that ending time thinking it mattered. Correct that sure. I was going to as well, but don't attack a person who simply gave an example that it didn't matter. No where in that post did it say you have to start eating at 12 and end at 8, you were simply reading that into it. Even with that, there are possible reasons to stop eating at a certain time for some people. Reflux would be one, as well as possible psychological factors that might help an individual adhere to their calorie goal. So while in terms of weight loss, when you eat doesn't matter, other factors play into this as well.
  • Debmal77
    Options

I think you are making far too much of this. The person, much like others, said that it didn't matter then gave an example of eating that did not fit with the "You have to have breakfast within 30 minutes of waking." The OP misunderstood that ending time thinking it mattered. Correct that sure. I was going to as well, but don't attack a person who simply gave an example that it didn't matter. No where in that post did it say you have to start eating at 12 and end at 8, you were simply reading that into it. Even with that, there are possible reasons to stop eating at a certain time for some people. Reflux would be one, as well as possible psychological factors that might help an individual adhere to their calorie goal. So while in terms of weight loss, when you eat doesn't matter, other factors play into this as well.

I have reflux. I usually do not eat after 6:00 pm. Op did not state any health issues. Where did I "attach" anyone?
  • tara_means_star
    Options

Thank you. In case I wasn't clear OP CI<CO for weight loss. You can choose to lessen CI any way you choose...with or without breakfast. Cutting yourself off at night will not magically make you drop weight. I count my calories. I choose to limit my eating window as a way to meet my deficit. If I limit my eating window but don't eat at a deficit I WILL NOT LOSE WEIGHT.

• Debmal77
    Options

Thank you. In case I wasn't clear OP CI<CO for weight loss. You can choose to lessen CI any way you choose...with or without breakfast. Cutting yourself off at night will not magically make you drop weight. I count my calories. I choose to limit my eating window as a way to meet my deficit. If I limit my eating window but don't eat at a deficit I WILL NOT LOSE WEIGHT.

Good post.
  • rguzame
    rguzame Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I gathered as much thank you. When I said I would choose a stop time at night in my previous reply I meant that it was a good idea. One that I would like to see if it would help me maintain my calorie goal as well.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    rguzame wrote: »

I gathered as much thank you. When I said I would choose a stop time at night in my previous reply I meant that it was a good idea. One that I would like to see if it would help me maintain my calorie goal as well.

Cool. I like it a lot and have found that giving myself a hard fast cuttoff really is helpful.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    rguzame wrote: »
    Why is breakfast the most important meal of the day? Calorie deficit is the science of weight loss and not when you eat.

I hired a personal trainer years ago who said your body hasn't eaten for over eight hours and you need eat within 30 mins of waking to start your metabolism or your body will go into starvation mode. She said you would lose muscle vs. fat and she called it skinny fat.
    Unknowledgeable trainer that more than likely didn't study physiology.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    It's your own rhythm. You could change it if you wanted to.
    If you get up earlier, exercise, shower and dress, then you'll have more of an appetite.
    Or not. And there's no need to force yourself to eat breakfast if you're not hungry. There's no advantage to doing it if one is meeting macro/micro nutrient goals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Considering there are successful people eating 1 meal a day all the way up to 6-8 meals a day, it really can't matter a great deal when you eat.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Seriously, do what works for you :)
    Food timing makes absolutely zero difference to weight loss. You have to make this sustainable and if eating breakfast isn't something you'd usually do in every day life, don't force it. Make sure you're hitting your calorie goal each day and keep up the good work!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Its 4:19pm and I havent eaten yet today, besides 15ml of creamer this am. If I'm not hungry...I don't eat.

I try to plan my days to have most of my calories left to enjoy from dinner to bedtime, so I regularly skip breakfast. I've lost 60# without issue.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Its 4:19pm and I havent eaten yet today, besides 15ml of creamer this am. If I'm not hungry...I don't eat.

I try to plan my days to have most of my calories left to enjoy from dinner to bedtime, so I regularly skip breakfast. I've lost 60# without issue.

Do you think you eat most of your calories at night because your not hungry during the day or are you not hungry during the day because you eat most of your calories at night?