What do you do with your egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Ahhh right, cartons of egg whites ... I guess I'm a bit clueless on stuff like that as I live in the South of France, where they still think you're insane if you say you're a vegetarian. No such thing as egg whites in my local supermarket - I'm still having trouble hunting down sweet potatoes *grins*
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    Treat for my two beagles

Ditto! Mix it in with my senior beagle's dog food. She loves it.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If I separate them, the question is what I do with the whites. I typically only split them to make ice cream and save the whites for scrambled eggs the next morning.
  • lofeisgood
    lofeisgood Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat only egg whites,love egg yolks but have to count calories.I use 5 egg yolks daily.My cat eats it,I use yolks as shampoo for hair and nurishment mask for skin.Bake and cook with them for family.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    All the good stuff is in the yolks so I eat them
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I eat them. Every one of them.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I eat them. The yolks are the best part.
    This.
    If I have extra egg whites, those go down the drain, but NEVER the yolks.
    They are yummy and nutritious.

• shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have 2 cats and a big dog so they love to get the yolks I am not eating or I make an omlette the next day for my hubby who loves the yolks. When I am making an omlette for myself I usually have one yolk and the rest whites or if I am eating boiled eggs I have one white and one whole.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    Asking just out of curiosity really. I sometimes read in people's diaries that they use egg whites. If this is you, what do you do with the egg yolk? Do you throw it away?

I have a mild egg yolk intolerance so I buy cartons of egg whites

Egg yolks are good for custards and cake
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    No egg white cartons where I am. My German sheapheard gets mine...
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Egg tarts :)
    p1mbdw2m2c55.jpg
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    oh my ... egg custard! childhood favourite! we have a winner!
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have 1 whole egg with 1 white for scrambled and put the 2nd yolk down the drain - better in the waste than on ur waist . I know eggs are healthy and yum but its all about the calories .
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention preserved egg yolks -- put the yolks in a 60/40 mix of kosher salt and sugar, cover with a thick layer of the same mixture, and leave them in the fridge for a month. At the end, brush off the salt/sugar and presto! You have delicious preserved egg yolks to grate like cheese over pastas, into sauces, etc. They're really, really good.
  • ChiliPepperLifter
    ChiliPepperLifter Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I eat them, as most of the protein and nutrition is in the yolk, and are worth the calories (and taste!) for me. I also buy ethical eggs, and it would be so wasteful to just chuck them away...
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I forgot to mention preserved egg yolks -- put the yolks in a 60/40 mix of kosher salt and sugar, cover with a thick layer of the same mixture, and leave them in the fridge for a month. At the end, brush off the salt/sugar and presto! You have delicious preserved egg yolks to grate like cheese over pastas, into sauces, etc. They're really, really good.

That's a freak idea! (Checking Pinterest :) )
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I eat them. But when I log "egg whites," it's usually the egg whites from a carton. You can also freeze egg yolks to use later for baking or whatever... but when I see someone has logged "egg whites," I assume it's from one of those cartons.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    I eat them. The yolks are the best part.

This!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    eat them!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I eat them!! Nom nom nom