Them abs

Options
So Ive been working on trying to get some abs for a while and seem to have trouble getting them. Im 5'9 and 165lbs. Im not overweight or anything but have a small layer of fat around my mid section that doesn't seem to go away. I do cardio and weight lifting at least 4-5 times a week for hour and a half or more. I watch what I eat and do a low carb diet. I've been eating more spinach and brocolli and still no results. Is there anything I can do to help me achieve my goal? Or just keep up with it? I stay under my daily calorie count as well. I'll take all the tips I can get!! Thank you in advaced!

Replies

• angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, having abs that show is really just about body design- some can get them to show, and others can't. If you can't get visible abs after doing all this, I doubt it's your fault
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Consistency and patience for once.
    For seconds - is it fat you need to shed or space you need to "fill up"?
    Up your cals and bust your mid section as an alternative.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Only way is to cut your body fat overall...there's no way to spot reduce strictly JUST midsection/belly fat.

As another poster pointed out, we all tend to lose fat disproportionately from different parts of our body in different ways...genetics will play a big role into whether your belly fat is the first or last to go, and it can't be helped. But if you get your BF% low enough (generally in the 10-12% range for guys), they'll eventually show.

This would be a good thread to read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • GetThatRunnersHigh
    GetThatRunnersHigh Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Body fat % is key to visible abs. According to BuiltLean, males need to get below 15% for them to appear.

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

Are you looking for a recomp?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Lower bodyfat.
  • robrsmith
    robrsmith Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you're eating more spinach and broccoli and still not seeing results, you probably just need more spinach and broccoli. Double your spinach and broccoli intake and see if that helps.
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    robrsmith wrote: »
    If you're eating more spinach and broccoli and still not seeing results, you probably just need more spinach and broccoli. Double your spinach and broccoli intake and see if that helps.

Ahhh....... another smart *kitten*. Good work there rob!

• ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Get the body fat % down. It's much much easier to develop abs than it is to reveal them from behind a layer of fat.

The old saying is "Abs are made in the gym, and revealed in the kitchen"
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Body fat is key but that being said if you strength your abs they will start showing sooner
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    stop doing low carb...unless medical condition is the reason, no single macro is to belame for anything you need all of them and a balanced nutrition....you cant spot reduce or lose fat in a single one area....i suggest upping calories and lift heavy and hit the abs hard....you cant show a muscle you havent built. Oh and im 5'11 208 with visible abs and im not lean by any standard but i have bulked well and hit my abs hard with heavy compound movements while eating a 4000 calorie intake the last bit while trying to gain some muscle but unfortunately still keep losing
  • x311sublimex
    x311sublimex Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    stop doing low carb...unless medical condition is the reason, no single macro is to belame for anything you need all of them and a balanced nutrition....you cant spot reduce or lose fat in a single one area....i suggest upping calories and lift heavy and hit the abs hard....you cant show a muscle you havent built. Oh and im 5'11 208 with visible abs and im not lean by any standard but i have bulked well and hit my abs hard with heavy compound movements while eating a 4000 calorie intake the last bit while trying to gain some muscle but unfortunately still keep losing
    Thanks for the tip and I do not have a medical condition were I need to do low carb. I just felt like my carb intake was way too high(I love pasta!).But when I do carb intake lately it's 80% sweet potatoes then oatmeal and bananas(I try to stay under the 200g carb intake daily). I guess I will have to up my ab workouts then from your suggestion! I usually do a couple sets at end of my workouts but maybe I should do a full session with just doing abs. I was doing a 3000-3500 calorie intake but was only gaining in my midsection. It could of been the protein powder I was taking also. So now I'm around the 1800 calorie intake to see if I can get some of my fat layer down. Judging from the link someone provided earlier I'm around the 25-35% body fat mark. I usually lift pretty heavy and shoot to go heavier when my body can do it. If any other suggestions please keep them coming but I'll keep everyone posted on my progress!
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If your truely that high body fat then 1800 calories is way to aggressive....just because you lose weight doesn't mean you will look better....you need to maintain muscle mass...quick weight loss is a sure fire way to lose muscle and leave you looking the same only lighter. I suggest find maintenance calories and knock 100 off when the scale levels ..slower the better
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip and I do not have a medical condition were I need to do low carb. I just felt like my carb intake was way too high(I love pasta!).But when I do carb intake lately it's 80% sweet potatoes then oatmeal and bananas(I try to stay under the 200g carb intake daily). I guess I will have to up my ab workouts then from your suggestion! I usually do a couple sets at end of my workouts but maybe I should do a full session with just doing abs. I was doing a 3000-3500 calorie intake but was only gaining in my midsection. It could of been the protein powder I was taking also. So now I'm around the 1800 calorie intake to see if I can get some of my fat layer down. Judging from the link someone provided earlier I'm around the 25-35% body fat mark. I usually lift pretty heavy and shoot to go heavier when my body can do it. If any other suggestions please keep them coming but I'll keep everyone posted on my progress!

What kind of lifting programme are you following and how experienced a lifter are you

Isolation ab exercises pale into insignificance compared to compound lifts

And yes you need to drop more body fat, for visible abs as a male you're probably looking at 12-15% bf