I think I solved the issue, thanks :)

Options
2»

Replies

• ladywishingstar
    ladywishingstar Posts: 64 Member
    Options

With your stats, if you are sedentary, you are looking at about 1800 to maintain your weight. If you were actually eating 1200 a day, you would be losing a bit over a pound a week. It's very easy to accidentally overestimate your caloric intake (I'd say most people here have had trouble with it).

That said, with only 2 weeks progress, you just may not have given enough time. Weight fluctuates daily, so sometimes water gain will mask loss, especially with new workouts.

Thank you I think I understand whats going on now. I just have never tried to get into seriously losing weight, ive never had a weight problem till recently, so I am confused on some things. which is to be expected, did not mean to upset anyone
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

With your stats, if you are sedentary, you are looking at about 1800 to maintain your weight. If you were actually eating 1200 a day, you would be losing a bit over a pound a week. It's very easy to accidentally overestimate your caloric intake (I'd say most people here have had trouble with it).

That said, with only 2 weeks progress, you just may not have given enough time. Weight fluctuates daily, so sometimes water gain will mask loss, especially with new workouts.

Thank you I think I understand whats going on now. I just have never tried to get into seriously losing weight, ive never had a weight problem till recently, so I am confused on some things. which is to be expected, did not mean to upset anyone

I don't think anyone is upset, just trying to help figure things out. :)
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    Also, I do have physical impairments. Heart condition, bad knees, and a twisted spine. Which are un avoidable since they are hereditary for myself. I will watch my calories more closely and keep working on the same sets ive been doing until I feel comfortable, thank you everyone for your input.

sorry I dont know enough about work outs right now to answer some of these questions...
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

Kudos to you for working out and thinking about your diet. We are here to help, we were just a bit confused, some of us still are, about what you were asking about.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Everyone is just trying to help
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I know muscle ways more than fat. So if I'm keeping to my calories goal but also doing strength training to build muscle for the real workouts... is my weight staying mostly in then same two pounds normal then?

... false. muscle does not weigh more than fat!
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    I just realized i got ahead of myself again. I was basically asking why I am not losing all of a sudden the first week i lost 3 pounds and now I have leveled out, I didnt know you couldnt build muscle on 1200 calories. So the confusion of my question makes sense. I was just misinformed, and now I understand why
  • daniwilford
    Options
    Also, I do have physical impairments. Heart condition, bad knees, and a twisted spine. Which are un avoidable since they are hereditary for myself. I will watch my calories more closely and keep working on the same sets ive been doing until I feel comfortable, thank you everyone for your input.

sorry I dont know enough about work outs right now to answer some of these questions...

That's ok too. We all started somewhere. Even with physical impairments you can still work out. Sometimes one has to make adaptations. I had strokes about 7 years back and still have some lingering balance issues. I see people everyday at my gym working out with issues.
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    Also, this "muscle doesnt weigh more than fat is upsetting" My doctor was the one that said this but now im upset that I was lied to and made to believe a false statement
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options

What changed? Do you know the cause of the recent gain? I'd try to start with that rather than focusing on an exercise routine, simply given your health issues you just outlined. Whatever lifting / cardio program you do make sure it is approved by your doctor or physical therapist as you may have limitations due to your spine and you don't want to risk injury.

Keep reading threads here and posting. That's the way to learn.
  • ladywishingstar
    edited December 2015
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

What changed? Do you know the cause of the recent gain? I'd try to start with that rather than focusing on an exercise routine, simply given your health issues you just outlined. Whatever lifting / cardio program you do make sure it is approved by your doctor or physical therapist as you may have limitations due to your spine and you don't want to risk injury.

The only recent change in the past two months before gaining was taking my anti depressants regulary, which I read they can cause weight gain of 10 or more pounds but its rare, so I dont know whether or not I should discuss it with my doctor...

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Also, this "muscle doesnt weigh more than fat is upsetting" My doctor was the one that said this but now im upset that I was lied to and made to believe a false statement

Muscle weighs more than fat by volume, so saying that muscle weighs more than fat is a true statement. Anyone who says otherwise is being pedantic, and probably unhelpful.
  • daniwilford
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat so a cubic inch of muscle will weigh more than a cubic inch of fat. But a pound is still a pound. As you continue to work out take measurements with a tape measure as well as a scale to track progress. Photos are also great to see progress.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I wouldn't let it upset you. Technically it isn't true (1 lb of fat weighs the same as 1 lb of muscle of course), but it's a common phrase nonetheless. Muscle is more DENSE than fat, meaning 1 lb of muscle will take up much less space than 1 lb of fat (think of the difference in what 1 lb of bricks would look like vs. 1 lb of cotton fluff).

Some people read it literally and point out that (of course) literally it isn't true.

Other understand the point being made, even though it's done using imprecise language (should reference density, not weight).

In any event, it's not worth fretting over.

Sounds like you've gotten some good info out of the thread so far. Keep going on the fat loss, and once you've gotten down to a better weight and body fat%, then you can shift your focus to building muscle.

That said, I'd highly encourage continuing to lift, even while losing weight. While you won't build appreciable muscle MASS, you can still make gains in strength (using your current muscle more efficiently).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

The only recent change in the past two months before gaining was taking my anti depressants regulary, which I read they can cause weight gain of 10 or more pounds but its rare, so I dont know whether or not I should discuss it with my doctor...

Anti depressants can cause weight gain by increasing your appetite so that you eat more, but you can overcome this by paying close attention to how much you are eating by diligently weighing your food on a digital food scale and logging.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Im being serious. I can lift 8 but not enough to do a full rep. I literally lack the muscle. Sorry if that isnt good enough. Also, im confused because I thought 1200 isnt a deficit.
    I have read if you are a beginner you cannot just start out doing full blown workouts because you can damage your muscle.
    I am using 30 days fitness challenges for the time being. Doing core, planking, and arm training.
    I am 18, 5ft 1", 150-151 lbs, activity level varies from sedentary to average, goal weight loss for right now is loss of 10 pounds.
    i have been working out for 2 weeks now, since the day i started, I lost 3 pounds but now im leveled

With only 10 pounds to lose, you can probably eat more than 1200 calories and still lose weight. When you plug your stats into http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided and tell it you want to lose 0.5 pounds per week, how many calories does it give you?
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Anti depressants can cause weight gain by increasing your appetite so that you eat more, but you can overcome this by paying close attention to how much you are eating by diligently weighing your food on a digital food scale and logging.

Thats the thing though, I havent been eating more, I usually eat too little but recently ive been keeping track of my food so ive forced myself to recently eat 1200 at least a day... The weight gain was from the past two months and i gained 20 pounds BUT only recently been eating more for the past two weeks and lost 3 pounds
  • ladywishingstar
    Options
    I have about 28 pounds to lose all around but if I can just lose 10 I will be happy. I want to get back down to 130 at least though. After that i want to get back down to 120
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Keep lifting regardless. It sounds like strength is a good goal right now anyway :) Do try to eat no less than your TDEE-20%. That may make you lose, or you may maintain for a little while if you've been under-eating for a very long time, but it should balance out soon. Since it's -20%, it will result in weight loss eventually, but it might take longer for you at first. Don't eat too little or that absolutely won't work from what I gather of your history. Do weigh things and keep it all very accurate so you have good data.

If TDEE-20% lets you lose nicely early, I'd change to TDEE-10% and eat a lot of protein and hope for a recomp-type weight loss while putting on a bit of muscle. If you are really weak/small muscles, you might be able to have good newb gains, so keep your deficit at a minimum and you might see some small gains, yes. With a big deficit you won't, though.