Low carb w long-term success

Options
I was curious if anyone has succesfully done a low carb plan and lost weight and kept it off for a while? I lost 80lbs doing Atkins 10'yrs ago, but found 8 months into it I couldn't eat this way for life and gave up. Just curious if anyone is low carbing for life. Thanks.

Replies

• Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing low carb? Just curious.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I don't know that anyone really eats the exact same way "for life," but we do have some people here who been following a low carb diet for over a year. I would recommend checking out the low carb group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    If you already know that you do not want to eat low carb for the rest of your life, then go the traditional route; it certainly worked for me. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10257474/starting-out-restarting-basics-inside#latest
  • ctmike1980
    ctmike1980 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not currently doing low carb, I did Atkins back in 2005. I did it because it seemed easy to do but it got boring after a while. Being Italian, I missed my bread, past, and wine.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Italian? Could you try mediterranean diet?
    Healthy. For a long, healthy life.
    I use wheat pasta once a week or I go insane.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    The group above is a good one. I've been doing it for 19mo and love it. Granted, there are a lot more low-carb bread, pasta, and wine choices than there were 10 years ago, so maybe that'll help you. And maybe not. LC isn't for everyone.
  • llbreuer2006
    llbreuer2006 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I lost 60lbs on a low carb diet and kept it off for 3 years. It's definitely possible. The biggest thing for me was reminding myself how much better I feel when I eat low carb. The instant gratification of eating carbs just isn't worth it for me because I know it will make me feel physically ill later. Unfortunately, I injured my knee and had to stop working out. When that happened I started eating carbs again and gained the weight back. I have definitely not been feeling my best since then. I am now starting over, but I know it can be done and am determined to keep the weight off for good this time.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    I have always gained it back when reintroducing them, I lost 100lbs on LCHF and have gained back 40-50lbs

I am not trying it again. I was miserable and the benefits were insignificant.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to eat "low carb for life" to keep the weight off. You DO, however, need to figure out the right energy balance.
    If low carbing helps you lose, go for it.

If CICO, that is.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Lost >42 lbs on Atkins in 6 months starting April 2010 still below my Oct 2010 weight and still low carbing.

Perfect excuse to avoid pasta for life :)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'll most likely continue very low carb for life. Yesterday I was stuck at work and resorted to the only available food (high carb) and promptly remembered why I'm eating low carb because of how crappy I felt. It is easy to stay low carb when the punishment for eating carbs in quantity is immediate. Minimizing carbs makes me feel so much better.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm not long term yet, it's only been seven months, but so far I have found it to be easy, satisfying and sustainable. I also have a couple of health issues that are greatly improved by eating low carb so I can't imagine going back to how I used to feel.