I gained 15 pounds

Options
Depression became an issue. (If this isn't valid to you, you either don't understand how debilitating depression is, or you have experienced a different/less severe form of depression.) I've gained 15 pounds over the past two years. My self image has always been bad, but looking back now I worried over nothing because I was hot.

Replies

• incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    HUGS.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Depression became an issue. (If this isn't valid to you, you either don't understand how debilitating depression is, or you have experienced a different/less severe form of depression.) I've gained 15 pounds over the past two years. My self image has always been bad, but looking back now I worried over nothing because I was hot.

I've had debilitating depression. I like Welbutrin, cuz it's a little speedy which helps me get moving. Exercise helps me more than any anti depressant I've ever tried, and there's been a lot of them.

What are you going to change moving forward?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Depression is life sucking! Are you on any meds to help with your depression? And exercise does help!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I just read this interesting article about how self-compassion is more important than self-esteem when it comes to feeling good about yourself because self-esteem is often based on being successful at something / finding good qualities in yourself, while self-compassion allows you to love yourself and be forgiving even when you're f***ing up. I'm sorry. I know that's not helpful. It just seemed relevant somehow..
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Exercise does not help every depressive. It'd be great if it did, but unfortunately it doesn't.

Definitely try it, OP. You could be one of the lucky ones and it does! You won't know until you give it a reasonable try. And by reasonable, I mean several months. (:

Just don't add to the false dogpile of "what's wrong with me" if you do and it does not help, okay?
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Been there. 15 pounds over 2 years probably feels like a lot, but if you're feeling well enough to make small improvements in your nutrition and activity level, and give it some time, that could be quite helpful. Baby steps. Try to think your own thoughts. Remember: Depression lies.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    After all my hard work to lose 35 pounds, I lost interest and am in serious jeopardy of gaining it back. Already packed on two or three pounds in less than a month. Haven't been to the Y in nearly three weeks. Baking for the holidays doesn't help. I look at a picture of me at my highest weight and get sickened, but not inspired. I still have another 25 pounds to go (in addition to the 35, which is now only about 32 or 33) to get to my goal weight. At this point I'm ready to roll the day after Christmas and not stop AT ALL! If you want to friend me, maybe we can help each other.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Yeah, depression is definitely the pits. I've been there. I suggest having a conversation with your doctor.
  • meghanmfitzgerald
    meghanmfitzgerald Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Me too. Guess what? Do to a combo of a big life tragedy (my son was diagnosed with mitochondrial disease-a progressive disease with no cure-2 years ago), and depression i have gained 50 lbs! I've lost and gained 20 a couple times but ultimately I've gained more). Depression is so hard and so complex. Hugs.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry. Hugs !
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    On the bright side 15lbs in 2 years is really not that big a gain ..you've been averaging 72 calories over maintenance a day ..that's an egg or a small apple

Hope you're getting help for your illness